PDA

View Full Version : YOU NEED TO TAKE A SHOWER!!!!

screamingflea
7-11-11, 4:49pm
We've all encountered people who have an allergy to soap. It usually doesn't bother me (in fact, I find a barely detectable whiff to be rather sexy) but since starting my new job at a mental health agency I'm getting increasingly sensitive to it. I don't fault any of my clients, many of whom are homeless or simply have no social skills. They honestly can't help it. And most of them are good people and I respect them. But when I'm off the clock, I'm getting increasingly irritable about it among people who should know better.

I have an extremely keen and precise sense of smell. I can smell things locked away in closets from across a room. I can distinguish between species of trees as I walk past them. I'm not necessarily sensitive in the sense of approving or disapproving of different types of smells, I just pick up on a lot more nuances than most people. With this new job I'm now getting pretty well versed in different nuances of filth as well. There's armpit, there's crotch, there's haven't-laundered-in-months, there's halitosis, there's hair grease. Ultimately after several months without bathing it transcends all those distinctions and becomes barnyard. (I actually find barnyard easier to deal with because it's one consistent smell.)

It's an issue in my martial arts studio too. Obviously a certain amount of sweat smell is to be expected because we're all working out. One person came last week who was way off the charts. She was worse off than some of my clients, well on the way to barnyard. That, but also her clothes smelled sour, there was alcohol and pot, and her skin was streaked with dirt. It's a shame because she was otherwise a great partner, but of course she was overly fond of headlocks and I smelled like crotch, pot, and barnyard by the time I got home.

I can let a lot go, but there's no way I'm letting this slide if I'm in close contact with someone. Especially if I'm not being paid to put up with it. At work we have a shower stall and a washer/dryer in the office for just such emergencies. She's a hippie chick, so I think I'll just smile sweetly with a "can you take a shower for next week? thanks!"

It seems like these situations tend to be lose/lose. Don't say anything, and get blasted with toxic fumes all the time. Say something, and introduce negativity that affects everyone. Usually when I speak up I wind up being demonized as the Big Meanie. If we weren't holding each other in headlocks and wrestling on the floor I could probably hold my peace. But under these circumstances?

rrrrr

janharker
7-11-11, 7:15pm
This is the responsibility of the sensei. You're only task is to politely explain the problem to him/her and ask that something be done.

screamingflea
7-11-11, 7:21pm
I dropped him an email, but I haven't heard back. I hope he takes me seriously.

Zoebird
7-12-11, 12:20am
i had to handle this at a yoga studio. one of our students worked at an organic farm (though he did shower between work and yoga) and was indian, and ate traditional curries morning, noon, and night (very proud of his heritage and cooking). he was *always* clean. but he had a very strong odor of both organic farming AND curry (onions and garlic mostly).

the funny thing was this. the students complained to the studio owner (and head teacher), and he was too embarrassed to tell the guy. So, i told the guy (i was just another teacher). we just talked about it, and i also explained to the studio owner that he's not unclean at all -- he just sweats curry! (and it was hot yoga, so yes, you sweat!).

it was a tough call, really, because it's not like he could shower out his gut, you know? and different ethnic foods create different smells -- it's just a matter of what you are used to. one lady was a brilliant italian cook, and her meals were beautiful. but she always was sweating out garlic. LOL no one seemed to care because it was a more 'italian' smell, and not a 'curry' smell. so, while i hate to say it, part of it was a sort-of racism.

so, my scenario is a little different, but still tough on the boss to speak up quickly. You might also ask not to be partnered with her, either.

Zoebird
7-12-11, 12:24am
oh, and i am always smelling myself (particularly crotch smell) and no amount of showering seems to help. i've been using apple cider vinegar to help out, but i still smell it. and no one else does. and my husband says i smell nice (but he's partial).

i work very close to people as a thai massage therapist and yoga teacher, so i'm *really* concerned about the way that I smell.

i'm sorry if you ever come to my class and you are offended by my smell.

puglogic
7-12-11, 2:46pm
I am never offended by normal smells like clean sweat, garden smells (except the freshest of manure) onions, garlic, curry, any of that. Unwashed-for-days, meet-Mr-Toothbrush-please, yeah, that can be rough. But I like a wide variety of human smells -- but conversely hate being near artificial perfumes. Bed Bath and Beyond makes me want to vomit, as does being seated at a restaurant next to a woman or man wearing cologne. I'm weird, I know.

janharker
7-12-11, 7:40pm
I detest perfumes/colognes. I see no excuse for them. They're meant to be smelled by someone other than who's wearing them; what is the wearer trying to hide? And why are you subjecting me to your stench?

Kestra
7-12-11, 8:03pm
I detest perfumes/colognes. I see no excuse for them. They're meant to be smelled by someone other than who's wearing them; what is the wearer trying to hide? And why are you subjecting me to your stench?

I completely agree. Many of these I'm quite allergic to. Just a few moments on the bus and I could be congested for hours.

Tiam
7-12-11, 8:37pm
I harvested all my garlic the other day. My daughter and I went to dinner and she asked before we left, "Can you change your clothes?" I have to laugh. If someone doesn't tell us, we may not know. BUT it's easy to feel offended sometimes. I had a coworker who I guess didn't use deodorant. I feel offended by her odor, but perhaps she doesn't like to use anti perspirants. She probably bathes, I'm sure she does, but should I complain?

Zoebird
7-12-11, 11:24pm
i'm super perfume sensitive, yes. and I don't wear deodorants because i can't stand the various perfumes. but, i think i smell ok overall. i am clean. very clean, considering all the vinegar. LOL

pony mom
7-12-11, 11:52pm
Some people can't help how they smell, and I believe some others just don't care who they offend. I'm a massage therapist, and I have to touch and be in close contact with all sorts of clients. I may be a bit paranoid, but if I knew I was going to be almost nude (but covered, of course) and have someone touching me, I'd make sure I was clean and had no offending odors. Especially feet!!! UGH! What I have to put up with sometimes.

One woman came to me complaining of a headache and asked me to spend a lot of time massaging her head. Well, her hair probably hadn't been washed in over a week---it stunk and was so oily it actually felt wet! And I'm supposed to just do as she asked when I was dying to put on a HazMat suit and thick rubber gloves. Another woman, who is a well-known equestrienne, came in after riding horses all day. Has she never thought of using baby wipes for her nether regions?? Or showering?

Certain illnesses and diets can cause unusual body odors. Chemo can cause a loss of sense of smell, so they overdo the perfume/cologne. Some things can't be helped. General cleanliness is just common decency.

screamingflea
7-13-11, 1:41am
Normally I can deal with it - as I said, I work with a population that has severe psychiatric disabilities. I've learned to take a lot in stride. ;-) But I'm with you, Pony Mom - physical contact takes the smell question to a whole different level. There's nothing quite like the feel of getting caught in a headlock by someone who hasn't used deodorant in weeks. It amounts to biological warfare! I don't know why it is, but it seems that the people who smell the worst always want to put you in some kind of a hold. Maybe they are perfectly aware of their not-so-secret weapon, and they enjoy torturing their classmates with it. Donno.

The worst smelling person EVER was a young Amish woman I encountered at a local whole foods type store. She was a little dirty looking but the smell was so bad I haven words to explain just how horrible it was. I started gagging and almost got sick right there on the spot. She was way worse then some of the alcoholic, homeless people have come across who had an alcohol/urine/BO smell to them. I have no idea what this young woman's issue was but it smelled like evil! Bless her heart!

I buy raw butter and local honey from a local Amish family and they smell just fine so I am not making any sweeping judgements on the Amish.

screamingflea
7-14-11, 12:28pm
It could have just been her body chemistry. Some people are like that. I've noticed a few basic body smells over the years. I know they're intrinsic because the smell is strongest when they've just taken a shower. Some are nice, some are ... eh.