PDA

View Full Version : Peas. And other things

Tiam
7-13-11, 12:40am
My peas are about at the end of their lives. They've produced magnificantly, although the snow pods a bit more than the sugar snap peas. The Sugars weren't nearly as vigorous or productive. My question is, when do I replant the peas for a fall crop. We start getting serious frosts in November. If I pull this set out, should I replant right away? Will they do ok? Or do I need to wait a bit. Same question on the lettuce and broccoli also.

Rosemary
7-13-11, 6:43am
I already planted fall peas, but we get frosts by early October. Look at the number of days to maturity on your seed packet and count backwards. Plant a couple weeks earlier than the count gives you because of the shorter daylight hours in the fall. Or look for suggested planting dates for your area or zone - often the local university extension has publications like this.

puglogic
7-13-11, 9:44am
I plant my fall crop of peas right after the spring crop is done. I compost the vines, turn the soil over, and replant immediately. Our first frost is often in late September, and I'm just planting my fall crop now....they'll do fine. Lettuce will also do fine for you that way, broccoli I'm unsure. (Ask Benhyr, the broccoli king ;) ) Perhaps there is a short-season broccoli variety that will ensure you get a crop.

Tiam
7-13-11, 11:20am
I plant my fall crop of peas right after the spring crop is done. I compost the vines, turn the soil over, and replant immediately. Our first frost is often in late September, and I'm just planting my fall crop now....they'll do fine. Lettuce will also do fine for you that way, broccoli I'm unsure. (Ask Benhyr, the broccoli king ;) ) Perhaps there is a short-season broccoli variety that will ensure you get a crop.

I think that's what I wanted to know. I worry that with planting the lettuce and peas right in the heat of summer, I will fail. I think I will get out there and plant the peas though today. Mine are just about done.

benhyr
7-13-11, 12:13pm
Well, we don't have a clue what we're doing, so don't follow us... but here's our work

Spring peas just came out. Fall peas are going in this week. (60 day maturity)

Spring spinach came out two weeks ago and fall spinach went in a week ago. We'll plant again this week and next week and then I'll put a winter crop in late August / September

We planted broccoli to mature July-September and will add a crop in August for a late fall harvest. (it's good to be the king :))

We planted some leaf lettuce a couple weeks ago in a nice, shady part of the yard. That's helping slow it's growth quite a bit and it'll be ready next week to start harvesting. We'll put another crop in this week as that's looking to be ok (tree keeps it much cooler and shade helps keep it growing slow). Winter lettuce will go in September.

I'll add kale and chard in August/September also. Frost dates are mid-September but we have heavy floating row cover and I'm going to try my hand at cloches and cold frames. My goal is to harvest spinach, kale, carrots, chard and beets through December and start up again mid-February. The biggest thing I have going for me though is that I don't know what the heck I'm up against so I'm full of youthful enthusiasm ;)

puglogic
7-13-11, 12:44pm
Tiam, to plant lettuce right now, since it doesn't germinate well at high temperatures, you may want to start them in the house (in a flat) where it's cooler, then transplant them outside. That seems to work well for me in the hottest part of the summer. Or you could plant the seeds and throw a damp piece of burlap over them to try to keep them cooler.