PDA

View Full Version : What's your "19" song?

herbgeek
7-15-11, 9:16am
On the way home in the car yesterday, I hear "Rock Lobster" by the B52's. Whenever I hear that song, I'm still 19. The whole scene of where I was and what I was doing when I first heard it comes back to me like its yesterday (and I'm now 50).

What's your "19" song?

Alan
7-15-11, 9:28am
"Radar Love" by Golden Earring.

Rosemary
7-15-11, 9:33am
Any song from Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart by Camper van Beethoven.

catherine
7-15-11, 9:47am
Oh, gosh, there are so many!!

MacArthur Park takes me right back to a HS graduation party--likewise Lady Madonna.
Cracklin' Rosie and Sweet Caroline (my college roommate was a Neil Diamond megafan)
Love Grows Where my Rosemary Goes and Hair (I remember cruisin' around with my friends singing along with those songs on the radio)

I actually read a really interesting study in which respondents (in their 60s) had certain biomarkers tested (like blood pressure, heart rate, etc.). Then they were asked to dress like they did when they were young, and they were put in a room where the decor was back the way it was when they were young, and "their" music was played.

They tested them again and found that they were biologically younger! (Their blood pressure was reduced, for instance). I've always wondered why we stick with the music of our teens, and maybe biologically that music has been woven into our brains somehow.

So, you really ARE 19 when you listen to those songs!

Miss Cellane
7-15-11, 10:18am
It seemed like Y.M.C.A, My Sharona and Born to Be Alive were all that we heard that year. That and the soundtrack to the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

As for my favorite song from the year I was 19, it's a toss up between I Will Survive and Old Time Rock and Roll.

And now I have some reasons for why I like them so much!

Tradd
7-15-11, 10:37am
The song I connect most with my time at university is "Push It" by Salt N Pepper. It might have been more from when I was 20, rather than 19. But it's close enough. The late 80s weren't exactly notable for great or memorable music!

Sad Eyed Lady
7-15-11, 11:25am
When I was 19? Probably "Cracklin' Rosie" by Neil Diamond. It seemed to be playing on the radio a lot when I was young, living in an old one-room apartment in Duluth MN. Good memories. When I hear that song I am transported back to that time. Songs have a way of doing that - instant time travel.

IshbelRobertson
7-15-11, 11:29am
Hey Jude. Not sure if that was when I was 19 or 20, but it was on the radio and played in the clubs all the time.

KayLR
7-15-11, 12:13pm
"Diamond Girl," Seals and Croft

Mrs-M
7-15-11, 12:24pm
Two that stand out for me are, Smooth Operator by Sade, and Method Of Modern Love by Hall & Oates. Not favourites of mine by any stretch, but no less, songs that graced the radio waves when I was 19.

Kathy WI
7-15-11, 12:39pm
Jack and Diane, and 867-5309 (Jenny). Not my favorite songs, but they bring back that time of my life. When I hear those songs I imagine driving around with my best friend.

Kestrel
7-15-11, 12:40pm
1962 .... any of the "twisting" songs -- "Twist and Shout", etc. And of course everyone loved "Moon River" {sigh} So many many, and I can still sing along with the lyrics! Sometimes I hear "our" songs as background in ads -- they probably do that to attract us oldies. But it was the music of the times, not a particular year, that take us back.

kally
7-15-11, 1:19pm
Cats in the Cradle
17 by Janis Ian
anything by Elton John

Weston
7-15-11, 1:27pm
Sharon by David Bromberg

Vahevala by Loggins and Messina

Kitty's Back Bruce Springsteen

pinkytoe
7-15-11, 1:28pm
Midnight at The Oasis - the spring I met dh and I was 19.

catherine
7-15-11, 1:46pm
Midnight at The Oasis - the spring I met dh and I was 19.

OMG, I was going to say that, but I was actually 21 when I graduated from college and met DH: But that is THE song that I recall from our first date! I get zapped back into his convertable every time I hear that song.

CathyA
7-15-11, 2:46pm
Sweet Caroline.

H-work
7-15-11, 3:52pm
"6" would be Hey Jude when I discovered my older brother's portable 8-track player.

"19" would be I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by the Proclaimers.

HappyHiker
7-15-11, 4:41pm
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones

and

Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan

Is there a theme here?? I also like to gather special stones when I'm out in nature and they sit on my desk and nightstand...does that mean I'm stoned? (I would not feel so all alone--everybody must get stoned)

CathyA
7-15-11, 8:18pm
Oh.....and then there's "We've only just begun" by the Carpenters.

CathyA
7-15-11, 9:09pm
And "Snowbird" by the lady from Canada.

jania
7-15-11, 9:14pm
Hotel California!

Tenngal
7-15-11, 9:58pm
Jive Talking-Chevy Van-Kung Fu Fighting all bring back memories

iris lily
7-16-11, 12:51am
Smoke on the Water, Album: Machine Head. by Deep Purple.

Mrs-M
7-16-11, 2:19pm
And "Snowbird" by the lady from Canada.That would be Anne Murray! :)

CathyA
7-16-11, 3:43pm
LOL......I figured you'd know Mrs.M! :)

early morning
7-16-11, 6:56pm
Detroit Rock City (Kiss)
Back in the Saddle (Aerosmith)
Afternoon Delight (Starland Vocal Band)
Saturday Night (Bay City Rollers)
Dream Weaver (Gary somebody or other)
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (Gordon Lightfoot) - I remember when she went down, and how unreal it seemed.
There are tons more that transport me back, and I'm not sure they are exactly from age 19, but close!

Iris Lily, I just played my Machine Head album last week - I almost remember the Deep Purple concert ;)

CathyA
7-16-11, 7:53pm
Leaving on a jet plane

DarkStar
7-16-11, 8:00pm
Night Moves by Bob Seger
The whole album Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez. I used to play it over and over. I still have it.

lightview
7-16-11, 10:02pm
Hey 19 by Steely Dan which came out when I was 19.:~)

KayLR
7-16-11, 10:45pm
The whole album Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez. I used to play it over and over. I still have it.

I still have that one too, DS....my favorite cut is, "Fountain of Sorrow."

DarkStar
7-17-11, 6:12am
I still have that one too, DS....my favorite cut is, "Fountain of Sorrow."

That's my favorite cut, too!

Tiam
7-17-11, 8:42am
19 is such an interesting number. I'm not sure if remember anything specifically from that year. I can remember a period, 16 through 20 or so. (I left home at 16). Mostly Pink Floyd, Neil Young, I'm not sure at all.

lhamo
7-18-11, 6:07am
Everything on U2's The Joshua Tree album. It came out shortly before I ended my first term at school in the UK, and technically I was only 18 at that point, but later in the summer I actually saw them in concert in Edinburgh, and I can't remember how many times I listened to that album that year. I still love it. Need to get it onto my ipod....

lhamo

iris lily
7-18-11, 11:01am
Everything on U2's The Joshua Tree album. It came out shortly before I ended my first term at school in the UK, and technically I was only 18 at that point, but later in the summer I actually saw them in concert in Edinburgh, and I can't remember how many times I listened to that album that year. I still love it. Need to get it onto my ipod....

lhamo

U2 played here last night as part of their giant tour, the biggest money making tour ever.

They are a major band and Joshua Tree is one of the biggest selling albums ever, but yet, I'm not sure that I could hum a U2 song. They are too young for me. So, that's how old I am.

maribeth
7-18-11, 2:13pm
Anything by Hootie and the Blowfish.

Spartana
7-18-11, 4:30pm
It was so long ago I think I only heard the roar of the T-Rex and the screech of the teradaquacdal (sp?). Oh wait... that was Steven Tyler and Aerosmith singing "Walk This Way" the first time circa 1977.

libby
7-18-11, 6:06pm
Hall & Oates "Baby Come Back"

Kestrel
7-18-11, 10:52pm
A professional musician friend and I were discussing music yesterday -- Brubeck in particular. Boy, we loved him! Take Five, Blue Rondo a la Turk, Unsquare Dance ... wow, good music. Modern Jazz Quartet, too. Didn't like all that discordant "cool" jazz tho ...

Oh yeah, The Everly Brogthers, Righteous Brothers ... Fats Domino, Little Richard ... no Pat Boone for me.

Mrs-M
7-18-11, 11:13pm
Libby. Hope I'm not coming across as sounding as though I'm correcting you, but do you mean "Baby Come Back" from Player?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o&feature=related

libby
7-19-11, 10:07pm
Nope I mean Hall & Oates song Baby Come Back.

Baby come back,any kind of fool could see
There was something in everything about you
Baby come back,you can blame it all on me
I was wrong and I just can't live without you.

Do you remember that one?

Alan
7-19-11, 10:14pm
Nope I mean Hall & Oates song Baby Come Back.

Baby come back,any kind of fool could see
Baby come back,you can blame it all on me
I was wrong and I just can't live without you.

Do you remember that one?

I don't think Hall & Oates ever covered that song, but Player does sound an awful lot like them.
Is this the version you're thinking of? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o

SoSimple
7-19-11, 10:39pm
Another vote for U2's The Joshua Tree. Although this was also "Madchester (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madchester)" time, so The Smiths, New Order, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, 808 State, and others formed a sort of soundtrack to my life at the time.

And yes, I did go to the Hacienda. Once. Thought it was over-rated and preferred the pubs down Withington way.

Mrs-M
7-19-11, 10:55pm
Libby. LOL! Wrong song, wrong group/band. :) I posted the video for you in my last entry (same video as Alan posted). The video is Player, baby Come Back.

Actually, if you do a Google search of all the songs Hall & Oats ever recorded, I think you will find there isn't such a song to their credit with the name Baby Come Back. :)

Mrs-M
7-19-11, 10:58pm
Hi Libby. Here are the lyrics to the song you are thinking of.

Spending all my nights, all my money going out on the town
Doing anything just to get you off of my mind
But when the morning comes, I'm right back where I started again
Trying to forget you is just a waste of time

Baby come back, any kind of fool could see
Baby come back, you can blame it all on me
I was wrong, and I just can't live without you

All day long, wearing a mask of false bravado
Trying to keep up the smile that hides a tear
But as the sun goes down, I get that empty feeling again
How I wish to God that you were here

Now that I put it all together
Give me the chance to make you see
Have you used up all the love in your heart
Nothing left for me, ain't there nothing left for me

Baby come back, listen, you can blame it all on me

I was wrong, and I just can't live

Player, 1977. :)

libby
7-19-11, 11:01pm
Hmmm well I did do a google search and the name with the lyrics was Hall&Oates. Oh well any which way the song brings back memories for me. The year I first heard that song one of my classmates lost her boyfriend to a farming accident. So yah "Baby Come Back" was a very poignant song for us all at the time.

eta...the speakers on my computer are toast so I couldn't listen to the utube you added to your post Mrs-M

Wildflower
7-20-11, 3:30am
"Crystal Ball" by Styx always takes me back to 19. I was lucky enough to see them in concert Monday night. They still sound great and played all of their hits!!

Mrs-M
7-20-11, 1:07pm
Oh, darn it. But I know it's the one Libby! :)

Spartana
7-20-11, 1:19pm
Hmmm well I did do a google search and the name with the lyrics was Hall&Oates. Oh well any which way the song brings back memories for me. The year I first heard that song one of my classmates lost her boyfriend to a farming accident. So yah "Baby Come Back" was a very poignant song for us all at the time.

eta...the speakers on my computer are toast so I couldn't listen to the utube you added to your post Mrs-M

On Wikipedia it says that the song was recorded by "Player" but is reminesent of "Hall & Oats" style so maybe that's why you think it's by Hall & Oats instead of Player..

Read off a web site that said Hall & Oats performed this song AFTER Player did:
"Hi. I'm confused by the fact that this song is apparently credited to and performed by Hall and Oates. I've never seen any evidence they ever performed it, and they certainly aren't responsible for writing it. These guys :"Songwriters: Beckett, Peter; Crowley, John Charles Ii" (as you state above) wrote it and are members of the band Player, who recorded the song and released it in 1978 on an album named 'Player'. How does this happen? Funny thing is, there's one other site out there that's done exactly the same thing. I wonder where people get their information sometimes...

Read more: HALL & OATES - BABY COME BACK LYRICS http://www.metrolyrics.com/baby-come-back-lyrics-hall-oates.html#ixzz1SfQMGQl5
Copied from MetroLyrics.com

libby
7-20-11, 1:59pm
Spartana that is the link that I found. It is a little bit confusing that's for sure. Thanks for the info.

Mrs-M
7-20-11, 2:04pm
Yes, I went in yesterday and found the same. Shake my head.

Gardenarian
7-20-11, 3:13pm
ooh, not a good year for music. Probably "Fly like an eagle" by Steve Miller - not my favorite song, just the soundtrack that was playing that year. That was a very odd year for me, 1977.

crunchycon
7-20-11, 5:05pm
Hey 19 by Steely Dan which came out when I was 19.:~)

I wondered when "Hey 19" would come up.

I'd have to say "Keep on Lovin' You" by REO Speedwagon. I was just a shade over 19 when it was all over the airways, but it was my college boyfriend's and my song (cringe), and no other song takes me back to college quite as quickly.

mira
7-24-11, 6:16am
Either 'Date with the Night' by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs or 'Hotel Yorba' by the White Stripes

I was 19 only 9 years ago though! hehe

Square Peg
8-2-11, 1:08am
Losing my religion-REM. Might have been 18 or 20 though.

rodeosweetheart
8-3-11, 8:50pm
Rikki don't lose that number, it's the only one you'll want
Send it off in a letter, to yourself

grendel
8-14-11, 11:32pm
Footloose. I still want to get up and dance when I hear it.

Rogar
8-15-11, 7:37pm
"I Feel the Earth Move" by Carole King pretty much takes me to a place where I am 19.

LDAHL
8-17-11, 5:07pm
Good Girls Don't - the Knack

AnneM
8-20-11, 6:07pm
These take me right back to when I was 19 in college

Twilight Zone- Golden Earring
Jeopardy - the Greg Kihn Band

Tradd
8-20-11, 9:37pm
After this thread, I bought "Hey Nineteen" by Steely Dan on iTunes. Blasting it right now! ;-)

madgeylou
8-20-11, 9:42pm
"alive" by pearl jam! though i was 18 the first time i heard it ...