PDA

View Full Version : Improving sight and light for cross stitching.............

CathyA
7-18-11, 6:13pm
I used to cross-stitch alot. Then I had kids and really haven't done anything for about 20 years. I found a pattern I really like for a friend and started to do it. But my eyesight isn't as good. My fingers are bent, but they seem to be doing okay.
I've seen this clamp-on thing at Menards that is a big round magnifier with a light.
Does that sound like something that would help alot?
Have any of you cross-stitchers found something that really helps with magnification and lighting?
I started out this project with ecru stitching on ecru-colored fabric, which probably wasn't good. Can't wait to get to the colored thread!
anyhow.......any good ideas for seeing better? Thanks!

Rosemary
7-18-11, 9:10pm
At Joann Fabrics I got a magnifier like this:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_10967719a
It balances against your sternum and you can look through it at the cross stitch.

Mrs-M
7-18-11, 9:50pm
And, a good lamp (with an adjustable head), something like this CathyA.
http://image.universaldistributingllc.com/is/image/79101.fpx?qlt=75&wid=550&hei=550&fit=constrain&fmt=jpeg

CathyA
7-19-11, 11:36am
Thanks Rosemary and Mrs. M. I'll check those out. My halo just isn't as bright as it used to be. :D

Nella
8-11-11, 8:59am
You might also look for the brand "Ott Light." Great light to work with. The magnifier also sounds like a good idea, but be careful of where you put it when not using it. Some time ago a friend set her house on fire when she left the magnifier by the window (good light there for sure), but the sunlight streaming through it set something ablaze that took part of her townhouse!

sweetana3
8-11-11, 1:11pm
It does not have to be expensive lights but just one like CathyA showed or any gooseneck. I move my table lamp over to my chair and it makes enough light. Enlarge your pattern and use highlighters or magnets to help keep your place and yes, colored thread is easier to see on fabric than matching thread. Inexpensive Aido cloth can be both stiff and very hard to stitch on.

It also helps to carefully choose fabric with holes that you can see. I can stitch over two threads on 40 count fabric (which equals a 20 count fabric) if the threads it is woven from are very thin and distinct. But I dont want to do this often. I am most happy with no less than 14 count fabric (28 count done over 2 threads). It is really fun to work on afghan fabric since it is pretty large.