PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Gingerella72
7-19-11, 12:11am
OK, Harry fans, fess up! The end of the franchise is here, sob sob.

Have you seen the last movie yet, and what did you think of it?

How do you feel now that it's all over?

How will you go on keeping the spirit of Harry Potter alive?

I avoided making this post, seeing as how in the books to avoid thread there seemed to be so many Potter-bashers. Now is the time for fans to come forward and show your love of the Boy Who Lived!

madgeylou
7-19-11, 8:42am
i saw the movie friday night after work (at midnight) and really enjoyed it. the one thing i wish was handled more like the book was the last battle between voldy and harry. but other than that, i thought it was great. the gringotts scene was crazy good!

i'm a little sad it's over, but i got most of that out pf my system when i read the last book. i will always have those to reread and relisten to ...

what did you think, gingerella?

Stella
7-19-11, 10:02am
We are planning to see it in the next week or two. I am kind of sad that it is over, but like Madge said, I dealt with most of that when I read the book.

It will be easy for me to keep the magic alive since none of my kids have read the books or watched the movies. A couple of years from now we'll get to start all over with the big kids, and several years after that with the little kids.

Gingerella72
7-19-11, 10:32am
Stella, that's so cool that you're going to share it all with your kids. That will be fun.

Madge, I loved it. The first time I saw it on Friday night, I was so emotional to begin with that it was hard to concentrate on the movie itself, but when I saw it again on Sunday and could view it objectively I found that I enjoyed it on its own merit. I understand why they had to change a lot of things from the book but my biggest disappointment was the King's Cross scene with Dumbledore. I've never been a fan of Michael Gambon in that role and I so wanted them to get this scene right. Alas.

I think Alan Rickman deserves an Oscar, or at least a nod, for his performance in this one. Not a dry eye in the audience as Snape's memories scene was playing.

To console myself that there won't be anything new to look forward to anymore I'm re-reading the series. I just don't want to leave that world, lol!

treehugger
7-19-11, 11:54am
I have read and loved the books, but I am behind on the movies (2 or 3, I think). They are in my Netflix queue and whenever I finally get to them, I will then rent the final installment. I am looking forward to seeing it through, but I admit, I have never loved the movies. No specific complaints, and I truly think the 3 leads were cast perfectly and that goes a long way, but they have just never really excited/struck/captured me the way a great movie can. That said, I will reread the series at some point.

I'm very glad to hear that fans seem to be really happy with the final film. That's important.

Kara

Tiam
7-20-11, 2:42am
Unabashed, true Harry Geek here. I love HP. No, I didn't go to the midnight showing. I didn't dress up, but I am truly enamored with the entire HP phenomenon. Just the amazing power of the entire movement from books to films. I am a true fan. The movie was wonderful. I will tell you that there are book/film differences that rub some readers raw. It's inevitable. That's the way it goes. We will never, ever get a perfect film, because each film would have to be 5 hours long and still be wrong. The actors would out-age them before they were finished! That being said. I loved this movie. And here is why: I can look away from film/book differences, it doesn't matter so much if Harry's eyes were green, or if he didn't repair his wand at the end. That the duel diffors from the book, oh well. Minor mistakes, like why is Griphook at Malfoy Manor and dead? Oh well, doesn't matter. What matters is this. They did this film the justice the book deserved. They didn't waste time making it a kid movie. It's rating prevented it from being an adult movie which would have satisfied better, but, oh well. This is what we have. This rating. But still. When you view this movie as you should, as one movie DH1 and DH2 as one movie you see the vision. DH2 did justice to the gravity and depth of the story. Yes, we can quibble over whether the death scenes and duels and secrets given correctly, but for me, this movie gave Harry Potter the dignity it deserved. It didn't have the rating to get grittier, but these actors all upped their games and gave it their ALL. They put everything into to telling the amazing end of this story. The story of sacrifice, love, redemption. It's all there. And above all, Jo's ever present theme: LOVE.
You really feel that respect for the story, and I so appreciate that. That said, I have one caveat: If you are a book reader of HP, watch the movie twice. It's so much better the second time around. And 3D I saw it in 2D first. Then in 3D. The 3D was like Hi Def. Very subtle. only a couple of gimmicks. I came away from this movie feeling very deeply affected, as the story should at it's conclusion. It's not a pretty fairy tale at the end. It's a long road of love and redemption and triumph, and personally, I think this movie came darn close to doing just that. With the same cast, the same trio, the same crew, amazing. And these unknown, untrained actors put their hearts and souls into it at the end. It's worth every moment, even the second viewing! If you are a true HP fan and can understand what I'm saying in terms of inevitable differences, but getting the crux right, I say see it. See it twice. And enjoy. It's truly the end of an era. Thank you Jo!

Tiam
7-20-11, 2:50am
Oh, and Gingerella, I'm glad you didn't hesitate. There is a bit of a stigma on HP fan's kind of like the stigma on Gingers in England, but I don't know what I have to be embarrassed about. But if you admit it openly, it's possible to get a bit of ridicule or silly looks. These are incredible stories, and the movies gave us a way to live them a bit longer and love them more. I'm a proud HP fan. I'm proud of Jo, of the books, the movies, the actors, the fandom and the phenomenon.

iris lily
7-20-11, 7:29am
Oh, and Gingerella, I'm glad you didn't hesitate. There is a bit of a stigma on HP fan's kind of like the stigma on Gingers in England, but I don't know what I have to be embarrassed about. But if you admit it openly, it's possible to get a bit of ridicule or silly looks. These are incredible stories, and the movies gave us a way to live them a bit longer and love them more. I'm a proud HP fan. I'm proud of Jo, of the books, the movies, the actors, the fandom and the phenomenon.

That's so funny, I was just recently talking to a friend about "the stigma on Gingers in England." He brought it up.

Florence
7-20-11, 8:16am
:)Another Potterphile family here. Loved the audiobooks!! Jim Dale read them and was incredible. The crowds were too much for me over the weekend so we went right after work Monday. I agree with Gingerella about Allan Rickman deserving an Oscar for that scene. I loved the ending where everyone is sending their children off to Hogwarts from Platform 9 3/4.

Gingerella72
7-20-11, 12:21pm

Hear, hear! :) I get so riled when people condemn the books as being silly children's fluff that are poorly written. WTF? I can understand people who dislike the fantasy genre and have no interest, but poorly written? Gargh.

I too am a proud HP geek...er, fan. ;) But not to the point where I can't enjoy the movies. I enjoy the books and the movies as two separate entities and so don't get upset at adaptation changes like some book fans do. They were as faithful to the books as they could be and kept the overall tone and spirit of the stories, which is the most important thing.

I've been hesitant to try and rank my favorite HP movies but I think upon further reflection Dh 1 and 2 (as a whole) will be number one for me. I can't wait for part 2 to come out on DVD so I can watch both parts back to back! I also can't wait for Pottermore to be unveiled.

pony mom
7-21-11, 12:35am
I've seen most of the movies but have trouble following the story. However, I'm a huge Alan Rickman fan and would go just to see him. This fall he's doing a show on Broadway and I'll probably see it, and hang around at the stage door for an autograph and photo.

I do love the special effects and amazing settings in the films. So many fantastic actors too.

Gingerella72
7-21-11, 9:58am
pony mom, if you're an Alan Rickman fan you must, must, must see Deathly Hallows part 2. He absolutely steals the movie with his performance. Even hard core critics are buzzing about a potential oscar nod. Take tissues, crying will ensue.

Tiam
7-26-11, 1:54am
pony mom, if you're an Alan Rickman fan you must, must, must see Deathly Hallows part 2. He absolutely steals the movie with his performance. Even hard core critics are buzzing about a potential oscar nod. Take tissues, crying will ensue.

I've got my DIL reading HP. She hasn't reached the end. She cried for Snape. I cried for Snape too. I cried for "In the Forest". A lot.

Merski
7-26-11, 7:02am
I too am an Alan Rickman fan. Did you see all his films? I believe he was in Truly, Madly, Deeply.

gail_d
7-26-11, 3:28pm
For this release I did two things I'd never done before--went to the midnight showing on opening day, and dressed up in costume as Minerva McGonagall. At a HP party just before the movie, I won a prize for best costume. The local newspaper & TV station covered the party--I was quoted and photographed in the newspaper article.

I highly recommend the movie to all: it was an appropriate end to a long and complex story, and the way it was filmed and its narrative structure made it feel like one of the great classic movies of the 1940s. Which fits, as DH part 2 is a war story. I've seen it twice (once in a regular multiplex, once in IMAX, both 2D but I recommend the IMAX) and plan to see it again on the big screen before it goes to DVD.

On first viewing, I noticed certain differences in the way the story was told from how it was in the book, and I had to think hard about how I felt about that, especially as I have entire sections of Deathly Hallows (the book) memorized. There is a richness and poignancy in the backstory of important adult characters (Lord Voldemort, Albus Dumbledore, Aberforth Dumbledore) that is never able to be fully fleshed out on screen, but which adds immensely to the depth and power of the narrative, and is one of the reasons why I re-read the novels. Critical to the entire seven-book narrative is the backstory of Professor Snape, which IS done justice in the movie (and yes, add me to the list of those who think that Alan Rickman deserves an Oscar for DH2, *all* the HP movies, and for that matter, for his entire body of work). On second viewing, I was fine with the movie narrative as the right way to conclude the story in its own right. Movies are so visual; too much overt explication drags the narrative. I enjoy both ways of experiencing this coming of age story.

You asked how I felt now that it was 'all over.' For me, it isn't over, because there are the books to re-read, movies to watch again, serious blogs like "Hogwards Professor" and "The Hogs Head" to follow, and maybe even academic papers to write ;) And of course, "Pottermore" is coming and I'm looking forward to that. There are precedents in my reading life: I'm one of those people who loves to keep returning to a narrative, whether it be the Bible or Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm or To Kill a Mockingbird, and seeing much more at different times in my life than I saw on first reading.

JK Rowling, at the London red carpet premier interview, said something that I paraphrased in my own interview with the local paper: that it is delightful to see how the books sparked an interest in reading in a generation that had been assumed lost to the internet; that the movies/books have been a *worldwide* phenomenon, and that finally, whether you come by the story via the big screen or by print, "Hogwarts will always be here to welcome you home."

IshbelRobertson
7-26-11, 5:13pm
I adore Alan Rickman.

One thing about our UK actors, they may not be the 'prettiest' but they can really ACT!

kally
7-26-11, 5:26pm
I also adore AR. I loved him in Truly, Madly Deeply and it was my favourite movie for quite some time. My dh made the mistake of saying he didn't like the movie much. I nearly left him over that.

Tiam
7-28-11, 4:06am
I adore Alan Rickman.

One thing about our UK actors, they may not be the 'prettiest' but they can really ACT!

Who says they're not the prettiest!? LOL

IshbelRobertson
7-28-11, 5:15am
I've heard a number of British actors/actresses telling that they were told they'd never make it in the US movie/tv industry, simply because they were not classically good looking - only for them to be offered the chance AFTER making a few UK TV appearances or British produced movies!

Two cases in point: Hugh Laurie/Kevin McKidd. Of course, both act using American accents - maybe that's why?!

One of my favourite actors, is another Scotsman (like McKidd), Peter Capaldi - he has been in lots and lots of films and TV series here. Don't know whether he's ever been in any US films though. He's not conventionally goodlooking - but, be still my beating heart!

Gingerella72
7-28-11, 5:05pm
You asked how I felt now that it was 'all over.' For me, it isn't over, because there are the books to re-read, movies to watch again, serious blogs like "Hogwards Professor" and "The Hogs Head" to follow, and maybe even academic papers to write ;) And of course, "Pottermore" is coming and I'm looking forward to that. There are precedents in my reading life: I'm one of those people who loves to keep returning to a narrative, whether it be the Bible or Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm or To Kill a Mockingbird, and seeing much more at different times in my life than I saw on first reading.

Gasp! I've never heard of those two blogs before.....thanks for the tip!

pony mom
7-29-11, 10:58pm
LOVE Truly Madly Deeply and recently found the video for $1.79 at the Sal. Army. I saw him in the play Private Lives a few years ago (with the stunning Lindsey Duncan) and met him afterwards. My hands were shaking so much just trying to get his photo. In the photo my friend took of me and Alan, we both have really stupid matching grins on our faces. I was supposed to see him in another play in Feb. but we had an awful ice storm and I couldn't make it and we couldn't change our tickets so we lost $75--that stunk. He was a hoot in Galaxy Quest.

Love those British actors. Ishbel, I too like Peter Capaldi. Did you see him in the series with Hugh Laurie called 40something? And the movie In the Loop? He was sooo funny in those. Scottish men seem to have that slightly husky voice with that accent that just makes my knees go weak. Derek Jacobi is another actor with a gorgeous voice. Met him too and he was very nice and much taller than I imagined. Beautiful skin too.

Alright, I'll have to see DH Pt. 1 now and then Pt. 2 very soon. And Alan, watch out 'cuz I'll be stalking you in the fall!

iris lily
7-30-11, 12:46am
I normally like unpretty actors, but for an unknown reason Alan Rickman has never tripped my trigger and I find him a wee bit annoying. Truly Madly Deeply bugged me, too--didn't like the female lead. I do like Lindsey Duncan, though.

IshbelRobertson
7-30-11, 6:29am
Pony mom - if you get the chance try to view the BBC series 'The Thick of It', a political satire. Peter Capaldi is just great in it. I can't comment on the accent, it's the same as most of my relatives/friends!

Another of my favourite Scottish actors is Denis Lawson, uncle of Ewan MacGregor. He and Peter Capaldi were in the 70s movie 'Local Hero'.

AustinKat
7-30-11, 4:18pm
I finally saw "Deathly Hallows Pt 2" last night. An overwhelming, gorgeous ending to an overall spectacular series. I was glad they brought so many of the awesome British actors back in, if only for a few minutes or sometimes only seconds of screen time (Emma Thompson, Jim Broadbent, Miriam Margolyes, Phyllida Law, and on and on). When I first read the book, there were two scenes I hoped would make it into the movie: Professor McGonagall's awesome marshalling of the troops to guard Hogwarts, and Molly Weasley's heroic duel with Bellatrix. I was grinning my fool face off in the theater last night when those things happened onscreen.

I agree that Alan Rickman should get some serious recognition for the entire series. The Pensieve scene was heartbreaking.

Also, yay Neville! Nice that he got some respect, finally.

iris lily
7-31-11, 1:08am
I spent $15 to see it in 3d tonight.

The 3D was spectacular for the parts that showed up 3D, but those were few. I think that those of you who didn't see the 3D version missed little. I had forgotten that Mrs Malfoy did a good turn for Harry at the end.

pony mom
8-1-11, 1:19am
Ishbel, I think I saw a short 'Coming Soon' type commercial for The Thick of It on BBC's On Demand channel on our cable network. Saw Peter in it and now I'm hoping they'll show that series soon.

Iris lily, the female lead annoyed me a bit in TMD too. I like Juliet Stevenson, but her character just cried waaaay too much for me. Alan and his cold dead old movie-loving friends are what made the film memorable.

Alan Rickman is great at playing baddies. His way of speaking just catches your attention. BTW, he sang and played the piano in Private Lives--wish I could remember the song. His part in the show was quite funny too. Whatta guy-drama, comedy, he does it all!

The entire Harry Potter series was blessed with a lot of really great actors and fun characters for them to play.

AmeliaJane
8-1-11, 9:09am
I went to see it yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed it a lot--had been awhile since I read the final book, so I couldn't remember many of the specific details which was good in terms of not being disappointed. I think one of my favorite parts was during Snape's memories, there is a very quick shot of Harry arriving at Hogwarts and being sorted, and you see at least Hermione in the background (Ron may be there too...). They were such tiny kids then! Amazing to think that they got through eight movies with only one major cast change (Dumbledore). I have never cared for the new Dumbledore either, but I noticed it most in the 5th movie, I think (the one where Harry and Dumbledore aren't getting along well.) This time, not so much--partly because I was still recovering from the scene with Harry and all his "parents"--his real parents, Sirius, Remus

Part of my nostalgia was thinking about all the changes in my own life since I started watching the movies--I have had four homes and jobs in four different states in that time!

puglogic
9-2-11, 3:36pm
Finally got out to see this -- what great fun! Also a big fan of Alan Rickman, but especially of Gary Oldman (at least we got a small glimpse of him in this one)

kally
9-2-11, 4:18pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2kymjRpzNs

Alan Rickman with Monty Python sketch