PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sold their GOLD?

Greg44
7-19-11, 9:18pm
I was cleaning/organizing my dresser and found a gold ring I bought many years ago.
I don't like it any more, can't even get it on my pinky finger.

I thought about selling it to a local gold/coin dealer. With gold prices up, has anyone else unloaded on jewerly they no longer wear? Was it worth it?

Sad Eyed Lady
7-19-11, 10:16pm
I took some scrap in, a couple of broken earrings and a tiny broken chain and got $40.+ and that was probably over one year ago.

cdttmm
7-19-11, 10:35pm
No, I haven't, but I have certainly thought about it. So much of my gold jewelry is family stuff, though, and I'm just wondering if my family would flip if I sold it. I'm not in need of cash, so I figure I'll hold on to it for the time being.

danna
7-19-11, 10:47pm
I have been thinking of it...my gold is chains and the like bought in the 80's when it was the fashion have not wore any of it in years.
Just so unsure how to go about it....

rosarugosa
7-20-11, 4:47am
I brought in a small amount of stuff about 2 years ago, and I got about $100. for it. I was pleased because it was stuff I didn't want or wear, so any amount of money was a good trade since I was getting absolutely no value from it otherwise.

iris lily
7-20-11, 7:21am
Yep, DH took in stuff a couple of years ago and got $145.00. These were items he had dug up or found or been given along the way. In his work he does a lot of digging in old neighborhoods where there is treasure. People pay him to haul things away and he gets things that way, too.

Tenngal
7-20-11, 7:14pm
a couple of months ago, I took a small ring and braclet. Came to $65. Had not worn either of them for years.

kally
7-20-11, 7:29pm
yep I mailed mine in twice and got $450 and $250 or so. I would get more mow.

treehugger
7-20-11, 7:43pm
I have, sometime early this year. A broken necklace, earrings I had received as gifts and never wore, a few old rings. I got about $70.

Kara

Fawn
7-20-11, 7:54pm
Oh yeah! The wedding/engament ring set that I had converted to a necklace pendant...but still never wore because of the negative emotional energy to the piece. $1300 into the kids college fund. NO REGRETS!

DuraMater
7-22-11, 12:51pm
Sold my gold (and silver) last summer. Happy to have the $$ and not the stuff. AND that basically emptied out my safety deposit box, so saving that yearly fee now too.

janharker
7-22-11, 1:07pm
Not gold, but I recently took in some silver to a reputable local jeweler. Was glad I did.

iris lily
7-22-11, 2:05pm
Also, I've been selling off household stuff for the past 16 months, some of which was family silver. I'm up to $2,620.00 in the black for stuff I didn't use. yay! While I do like silver I believe that 2 sets is enough, one does not need 4.5 sets.

jennipurrr
7-26-11, 5:26pm
My dog dug up a gold ring in my yard at the end of last year and I took it in and got over $100 for it. I was happy with that although I may have been able to sell it for more on ebay, but I didn't want to mess with selling it to an actual person. I also had two gold Krugerrands that I bought a year before when ebay was having 20% cash back that I sold for spot price at the local cash for gold place at the beginning of last year...but if I had held on to them I would have more now, but I was able to use them (plus money) to pay cash for the car I was buying, so it worked out for me.

rose
7-26-11, 7:27pm
Sold old gold jewelry. Two were wide band rings. Got about $400. Glad to be rid of the stuff.

Greg44
8-3-11, 7:45pm
Just sold a small men's ring - received $ 202.00 - thought that was fair.

Mighty Frugal
8-4-11, 12:54pm
How fair is it? How much on average will these 'we buy your gold' places give you? 25% of what it's worth? more? Less? Anyone know?

mamarazz
8-26-11, 3:39am
Yes we did. Had an oz of gold, chains, charms etc. Was very nice to be able to put that in savings for a new computer!!

iris lily
8-26-11, 11:02am
How fair is it? How much on average will these 'we buy your gold' places give you? 25% of what it's worth? more? Less? Anyone know?

If you deal with a reputable company that's not fly by night, they will give you "what it's worth" which means they are giving you market wholesale price, and if it is jewelry, they are probably giving you the gold content price not the price of the artifact.

I don't sweat getting the "maximum" because I'm not going to put my own labor into getting retail price, I'll get the wholesale price and will be happy with it.

pinkytoe
8-26-11, 1:36pm
Somewhere in one of my jewelry boxes, I have some ancient relative's gold tooth - root and all. I don't have any clue why I have it or if it would be worth anything. I would be kind of embarrassed to take it to a gold buyer but maybe I should?

Greg44
8-26-11, 2:15pm
pinkytoe: I've seen places that advertise they take gold fillings...I am sure they have seen it all! You can always call in advance, wear big sunglasses when you go in...! :cool:

My question is just how they determine the valve of the gold vs the tooth?

I just did a bing search on dental gold and found some interesting articles...it is a very common practice.

Polliwog
8-27-11, 1:22am
I rifled through all my jewelry today and found enough gold (watch, earrings, necklace) that I never wear that brought me a nice little sum of $1,800 today! I was thrilled beyond belief. Some of the items were gifts from my ex-husband, so there is no sentimental value there. :~)

Greg44
8-27-11, 10:28am
I rifled through all my jewelry today and found enough gold (watch, earrings, necklace) that I never wear that brought me a nice little sum of $1,800 today! I was thrilled beyond belief. Some of the items were gifts from my ex-husband, so there is no sentimental value there. :~)

SCORE!!! :0!

iris lily
8-27-11, 11:31am

That's great! Was it Greg44's thread here that motivated you to round up the gold and sell it? I think everyone who has a bit stored away is thinking of it.

Hmmm, now I AM thinking of it, I have 2 or 3 pieces of gold jewelry that I never wear laying around, small pieces, won't bring much but hey, it is something.

Polliwog
8-27-11, 1:37pm
Yes, it was Greg44's thread. Thank you Greg44!!!

kally
8-27-11, 1:50pm
how much should you be getting for a gram of gold now?