PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Withdrawal

leslieann
7-27-11, 8:02am
Well, I am doing it. I am canceling the phone. Cell service isn't cheap in Canada, but I have been using the cell for my business. Now that I have relocated my office to my home, I have a landline for work and the cell is really, truly a luxury. And with my little practice, my income is down and I can't expense the cell anymore. Not ethically, that is. So lots of good reasons to let it go.

BUT! No texts from my (adult) kids, no quick calls home to see if milk is needed....how long will it take for me to get used to my cell-free life? I've had a cell in my pocket since 1997. Will I live through the withdrawal period? I am guessing that when I don't have that $70+ bill every month, it will all be worth it.

I know lots of people go land-line free, but cell free after having one? Anyone else been through this?

Selah
7-27-11, 9:23am
For safety's sake, can you get a cheap-o prepaid cellphone that you just keep with you in the car for emergencies? Don't tell anyone the number and NEVER answer it, but at least you'll have it. Also, I don't know if Google Voice allows this, but perhaps you could see if you could get a free number from them and at least receive text messages from your kids?

I never got into the habit of relying on my cellphone, so giving it up wasn't really a problem. I got a cheapo one and use it mainly as a personal telephone directory in my purse, and, of course, for locating and being located when DH and I are in Wal-Mart and can't find each other! Still, I like having it in case of emergencies...we used it to call the cops when we witnessed a violent beating going on in a convenience store parking lot. Yikes! It is also indispensible while travelling, as we have elderly people in our family who have health problems.

Miss Cellane
7-27-11, 9:40am
I don't know about Canada, but in the US, any cellphone call the emergency number, 911. Even if you don't have any kind of a plan. It's a free call--you just need to have a charged cell phone. It's worth checking to see if Canada does something similar.

leslieann
7-27-11, 10:02am
That's a good idea. Another good thing is that here in New Brunswick, there are still those dinosaurs to be found....pay phones! And this is the kind of place where you can actually knock on someone's door and ask for help, or ask to use the phone, and not be shut out.

I do have a long and far-away trip in the fall, and I anticipate getting a prepaid for that but I am very interested to see how the rest of the summer goes without the cell.

I'll check on the 911 part. Thanks for the ideas!

bicyclist
7-29-11, 12:41pm
Having lost my cellphone at leat twelve times and having broken one into pieces once, I would not mind getting rid of mine. Alas all I can do now is to leave it home once in awhile when it is not absolutely necessary to carry it.
Eventually, I hope to switch to a prepaid phone and use our landline more often but that is another major change of habits. I have enough of a problem simply remembering where I put the phone the night before!
I hope people will demand the phone companies keep public phones in accessible places in Canada so people don't have to have a phone with them.

simplelife4me
7-29-11, 9:53pm
Cellphones are a huge safety item. I'll never get rid of mine.

pony mom
7-29-11, 10:16pm
I don't know if Virgin has PayLo in Canada, but check it out. They have a $25/mo. plan with 300 min. and unlimited texting-US dollars, of course. I just switched to their 400 min./$20/mo. plan. It's just enough for me.

leslieann
7-30-11, 9:34am
My partner called Bell to cancel my phone service, as we are both on his account. They require 30 days notice to cancel. This cracks me up; what exactly are they disconnecting that takes thirty days? Perhaps they bill in advance and don't want to have to issue a refund or something, but it just made me laugh. So have a few weeks to get used to the idea. I have been leaving the phone home to see what it feels like, but I notice that I do like to have it when I have the dog out on a morning hike, or when I am running, or even if I have left the house before anyone else gets home, in case someone wants to talk with me. So it is going to take some getting used to.

Our low-cost phone plans still include a $9.95 "system access fee" which is apparently something that the phone companies have all agreed to charge, though it is independent of any government fees. Plus of course everything here is subject to the 13% harmonized sales tax (federal and provincial tax together) which is hard to get used to (as a former resident of the US). Thirteen percent on goods, services, rent, everything except food and prescription drugs. So even cheap cell service costs more than it appears. My current plan supposedly costs me $20.00 per month, but there is an additional charge for voice mail, for caller id, for long distance access, and roaming charges are unbelievable. So you can buy a roaming "package" which gives you lower costs for roaming, for example, in the US, but you risk not using all your minutes, or worse, going over. Anyway, the cheap package has been less cheap than it could have been, since I did need vm and caller id when I was using the phone for work. And roaming, too!

There are more low cost Canadian options in the more populated areas but the population base here in the Maritimes is low, and hence we are just now getting any competition for our big two providers of cell service. Things will improve but I hope for me I can live without it.

I'll keep practicing! In the meantime, I have to educate my family that the landline is the way to get me now.

Simplicity
7-30-11, 10:49am
Leslieann, did you check out koodo? I think they have some cheap basic plans. And I do think that 911 works with any cell here too.

leslieann
7-30-11, 1:57pm
thanks, Simplicity, I'll look at koodo; I did see a display at the Future Shop last weekend but the low price still seemed to be twenty bucks (before bells and whistles). And first, of course, I'll see if I can go cold turkey!

heydude
8-2-11, 7:10pm
I do not believe cell phones are SAFE. I have been injured because someone was talking on their cell phone while driving. A landline was easily nearby.

Furthermore, how far does ANYONE have to go before there is no phone anywhere? There is always someone to call for help should you need it. Unless you are traveling on long stretches of highway or backpacking in the everglades (of which, those areas may not get reception anyway). Cell phones are not about safety to me.

Once you go cell lack, you ain't never go back!

frugal-one
8-2-11, 7:18pm
When I retired in February my work cell phone went. I did not replace it. The only time I really wish I had one is when out shopping to call DH to see if we need anything. I do not miss it otherwise. I cannot justify the expense.

Reyes
8-2-11, 7:30pm
leslisann, I hope to get to where you are (cellphone free) one day! I have just a basic phone, DW and I share it. It just does calls (no texting, internet, etc.) but even so I feel attached to it. I recently made it so that when people call my cell (mostly only my kids and my siblings have the number) it forwards the call to my home number. We pay, with taxes and all, $27 per month for 450 minutes. My wanting to break from the thing is not based on money, but on lifestyle.

leslieann
8-2-11, 8:00pm
I'll be interested to see how it goes for me. I walked from downtown and back to drop off and pick up my car for service today, and I noticed that i wanted the phone. Here in town hey-dude is right; if I had some problem, there are dozens of people who would drop everything to offer to help. However, where I live there is LOTS of wilderness where there are not telephones and traveling at night along those places can feel kind of creepy....if you don't have a phone. But honestly, even if I did have a breakdown out there where there are no stores or homes, there are other cars and trucks on the highway and everyone else has, yes, a cell phone!

I am trying to scale down and quiet down and this is part of it. But maybe I'll hate it....who knows?