PDA

View Full Version : Addiding chicken to turkey soup

cdttmm
7-27-11, 2:28pm
I have an odd question. While inventorying our freezer, I noticed that we have several batches of turkey soup. Clearly made from the leftover turkey at Thanksgiving as that is the only time we make turkey in our house. We also have a whole frozen chicken. I'm a vegetarian, my significant other is not. So I'm wondering...can I cook the chicken and then add chicken to the turkey soup when it is re-heated? This seems perfectly logical to me, but I haven't eaten poultry in more than 20 years, so I'm not sure if it would actually be a good combo or not. I seem to remember the turkey soup as not having quite as much turkey meat as one would hope, so the additional chicken would "beef" it up a bit (pun, clearly intended). What do you think? What else might I do to liven up this turkey soup so that it will be consumed sooner rather than later? We're eating down our freezer in preparation for the preservation of this year's harvest and the turkey soup and frozen chicken are clearly not the highly desirable items or they would have been gone months (or at least weeks) ago. At least it's not :spam:.

bke
7-27-11, 2:32pm
I think turkey and chicken together would be just fine.

Sometimes we make turkey noodle as the soup of the day at work. When is doesn't sell out dh will thicken it and serve it as homestyle turkey and noodles over biscuits and people always devour it.

danna
7-27-11, 4:17pm
for sure....
These days because DH doesn't seem to like soup much...I add in the veggies and then just re-heat myself a bowl at a time adding in a starch (already cooked) leftovers to each bowl.
I get a lot more varitey that way. I also love to add in leftover curries and coconut milk for a wonderful chicken soup.

cdttmm
7-28-11, 7:17am
Thanks for the insights, bke and danna! This makes me feel more confident in experimenting with dishes that I can't taste.

bke: can you give me some guidance as to how your husband thickens the turkey noodle soup? I can make some tasty biscuits, so the homestyle turkey and noodles over biscuits idea sounds like a good one!

bke
7-28-11, 10:16am
I'll have to ask him because I'm not really sure. He either makes a flour/butter roux and adds the broth back in or he drains the broth (I know, not what you wanted to hear) and adds poultry gravy to the noodles and veggies.

All his cream based soups are simply melted butter with flour stirred in and then milk for broth. We used a moist non-liquid base for meat flavoring. One tip: don't add the solids until the cream base is smooth. In the worse case scenario it can be strained first if you need to before you add the veggies, meat, etc. The process is the same for any gravy he makes from scratch.

Maybe someone here can suggest how to make the gravy in a way that is easier than what I'm suggesting.

cdttmm
7-28-11, 10:13pm
Thanks, bke! I'm going to do a little recipe reading and see if I can figure out the best approach. I'm excited to have a few options as to how to go about using up the soup and the frozen chicken!

bke
7-29-11, 10:58am
Dh says he simple ditches the broth and adds poultry gravy to the solids. Probably not quite what you wanted but it would be better than wasting everything.