PDA

View Full Version : For someone who dreams of running again one day

Float On
8-2-11, 9:14am
Say someone was starting off at a Zero. What would be some recommendations for a 'take it real slow and build it up' walking/running program to get back to running.
Take into consideration this person use to run cross country in high school, tennis in college, led backpacking trips in Colorado a couple of years then shot their knees out doing 4 miles of stairs a day as a cave guide for 4 years and then hasn't done much more than walk or kayak on a regular basis since becoming a mom 15 years ago.

Anne Lee
8-2-11, 9:43am
Have you looked into Couch to 5K? http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If you wanted to slow it down even more, do each week's workout twice (or three times, or four) before moving on. I would also add some leg strength training to build up the muscles around the knees as well. You should probably consult a trainer or physical therapist about that.

jania
8-2-11, 9:56am
I use to count steps. Say the first day I could run/jog 100 steps before feeling really winded or some type of pain. I respected that level and then walked the rest of my mileage. The next day I would aim at those same 100 steps and maybe add 10 more, again respecting what my body was telling me. It will gradually build from there. The main thing is to really pay attention to what your body tells you so you stay within a safe place and not injury yourself which will really set you back from your goal. Good luck!

ctg492
8-2-11, 12:14pm
I ran my first 5K in under 30 minutes last spring, I am 50. My best time as been 26 minutes. I just kept at it, that is my only tip.

puglogic
8-2-11, 2:56pm
Coming back to running after injury, I first tried the Couch-to-5K but found that even it was too rough and too fast for my joints. I switched to the Canadian Sports Medicine Council's recommended 13-week program and it went really well for me. It's outlined in a book that you can find in many libraries (or get from Inter-Library Loan): http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Runners-Handbook-13-Week-Walk-Run/dp/1553650875

Good luck, Float On.

janharker
8-2-11, 7:24pm
One thing you'll have to do is resolve to not let your ego push you too hard. For instance, if you'd really like to stop running, but some one is coming up the road who might see you stop, so you keep going. Or you just have in your head that you have to push through the pain.

Zoe Girl
8-2-11, 7:36pm
Don't time yourself or remember what you used to do and try to get there in a month. Honestly you may never get back to your old speed and endurance but it can still be great to run again. I tend to get shin splints so I force myself to do half walk and half run. If I am at the gym and can time myself it is to make myself go slower. I do not let myself go faster than a 10 minute mile for the first couple weeks, then let myself speed up for half mile sections as I keep going.

BTW I have done this many times over the years with a similar background. It is mostly hard mentally but once you get yourself to understand the pace you need to rebuild to then I think it is great to get running again.

Float On
8-2-11, 10:28pm
Thanks all.
Shin splints are something I remember quite well when running track. Cross country was much better for me. I was the type who would go home after practice and run another 4 miles for the fun of it. Sure wish I'd appreciated the wonders and workings of the human body more at that time.
I've heard a lot about that couch to 5K but do have a problem with schedules. Appreciate puglogics mention of something else out there and I'll look at that. I did follow the link to that book and followed a couple book recommendations and ended up ordering (used) one book (can't remember which one but I hope it'll give me a little encouragement).
We haven't walked in awhile (too hot was the excuse) but I did manage to get my DH out the door with me tonight for a quick mile walk in 100 degree heat. Its a start (again).
I just don't want to turn 45 next Feb and feel so blah and unexcited.

Zoe Girl
8-3-11, 8:48am
Hey I am 45 in november and trying to run again, sloooowly it goes!

Float On
8-3-11, 9:43am
Hey I am 45 in november and trying to run again, sloooowly it goes!

"like"

Ran into a friend the other day. She is 52 and took up running again when she turned 50. Doesn't miss a day and looks wonderful.

Spartana
8-3-11, 2:13pm
Haven't read all the posts so hope I'm not repeting something said already.

Floats on, I remember that you are really athletic so probably have good cardio and endurance already. Probably only thing you need to do is to get the tendons, ligaments and muscles - as well as all those little joints in the feet - use to the effects of running. To do this I think walking is the very best way to go. Especially power walking because you are taking longer strides than when running, but are keeping your knees more locked and straight when you come down on one foot. This coupled with some light weights, high reps, and some good stretching after wards will get your tendons ready to run. I would suggest eventually walking (power walking) at a speed which would actually be easier to run as the point where you go from walking to running. Then run as long as you can at a comfortable rate and go back to power walking until you can run again. Try to increase this each time - more running less walking - until you are running all the time. I'm a runner (long distance - and run everyday - usually twice a day) and when I took off running for awhile I found this was the best way to get my body ready to run again. Once I was ready, I would do the traditional types of runs - short days mixed up with wind sprints and hill repeats follwed by long days for just endurance and to get my old body use to the distances. I'm not back to where I was - never will be due to a serious knee injury and surgury - but am nearing competetive levels again. I also am a trail runner - which is absolutely the best thing to run on - nice soft trails - when starting out. MUCH easier on the body - and much funner too. So if there is a place with trails or a soft surface like grass near your house try that. Also a friend swears by something called Chi Running (or maybe it's Tao Running) which is a way of running - sort of a more loping run - which is suppose to make you run further, faster and with less stress on your body. You might try that.

Float On
8-3-11, 3:27pm
Spartana - that is a wealth of info and makes a lot of sense! Thanks.
I'm not nearly as athletic as I once was but I have hope!
We do have a lot of good wood trails around here and I agree that that is a lot more comfortable than 'pounding the pavement', but its in the ozark hills so a lot of time is spent scanning the path for rock that grow (or jump) out of the ground and try to trip you.

leslieann
8-3-11, 4:44pm
It is "Chi Running" and it is a pretty cool model for minimizing injury as well as actually improving performance. There's a book and a workshop and all of that. I liked the book for helping me with getting back to running after an injury as well as for helping me to think about why running and whether I need to do something that challenges my body that much.

Anyway, yes, it is Chi, like life-energy type Chi....very interesting read.