PDA

View Full Version : Freezing peaches?

Bastelmutti
8-4-11, 5:28pm
If I get some nice summer peaches to freeze for the fall/winter, do I need to blanch them & remove the skin first? We would be using them mostly for winter smoothies, so not really defrosting them.

Nella
8-4-11, 6:49pm
I would blanch and peel them. Be sure to use some citric acid on them, or they'll turn brown when they're in the freezer. Even if you're using them for smoothies, I would still blanch and peel. I've both frozen and canned peaches. I like both methods for different reasons. If you have a huge unexpected bounty of peaches, I would freeze some to make jams with later in the year. It always seemed a waste of time and effort to carefully prepare and process canned peaches just for use later in jam. I use the canned peaches for "pretty" dishes, like peaches with cream or icecream, tarts, that kind of thing. The frozen ones are good for basic pies, muffins and the like.

Gina
8-5-11, 11:12am
Other than for aesthetics or perhaps mouth feel, what is the purpose of peeling peaches? I really don't know. I used to do it, but no longer do. I can't tell much of a difference.

When I make smoothies or blender ice cream with fresh peaches, I just pop the whole fruit in. I like the color that the skins add.

puglogic
8-5-11, 11:56am
I made smoothies all winter last year that way -- I didn't even blanch, just washed, sliced, tossed them with ascorbic acid solution (Fruit Fresh or an equivalent). They were great.