PDA

View Full Version : The trouble with painting

Florence
8-7-11, 1:03pm
is that when you finish painting just that little wall next to the computer, that big wall next to it looks like crud. :0!Here we go again...

jennipurrr
8-7-11, 1:22pm
Totally understand Florence! I've been putting off painting the walls and trim in my kitchen but the cabinets are white like the trim and ugh, I don't even want to go there!!!

razz
8-7-11, 1:29pm
Needing to paint the hallways and fearing just that scenario, Florence.

Mrs-M
8-7-11, 11:23pm
Oh I know, but the freshness and cleanliness of a painted room! Trumps everything IMO.

Florence
8-8-11, 8:39pm
Well, the one small wall by the computer looks totally better and just as I feared, the larger wall beside it looks dreadful. So next weekend another wall...

treehugger
8-9-11, 11:57am
This is exactly why I haven't taken down the ugly, royal blue and white plaid wallpaper in my kitchen, since then I will have to do something about the baseboards, the floor, the cabinets, the ceiling, the vertical blinds on the sliding glass door...Ugh.

Kara

Florence
8-9-11, 1:17pm
This is exactly why I haven't taken down the ugly, royal blue and white plaid wallpaper in my kitchen, since then I will have to do something about the baseboards, the floor, the cabinets, the ceiling, the vertical blinds on the sliding glass door...Ugh.

Kara

Oh that is sooo true!! LOL!!!

treehugger
8-9-11, 2:09pm
The funny thing is how we can learn to live with things. I hate the wallpaper (we bought my MIL's house, so I have her to thank for it), but I barely notice it any more.

We did repaint the master bedroom though, less than a month after we moved in. It was dark (dark!) teal with dark teal glossy trim. The bathroom and the inside of both walk-in closets were the same color. The effect was cave-like. I couldn't live with that, plus we really needed to make that space our own. I don't feel the same way about the kitchen.

Kara

puglogic
8-9-11, 7:34pm
That's why I put off painting our bathroom walls for 11 years :) Because doing the walls meant re-doing the awful floor, and even worse, doing the walls meant painting the 14-foot ceilings (seriously?? who puts high ceilings in bathrooms??), and I'm afraid of heights, and.....

Now it looks fantastic, the best room in the house. But I'm starting to eye other rooms suspiciously. "Why don't you look as nice as your cousin the bathroom?"

leslieann
8-11-11, 8:47am
I have been watching the hallway walls deteriorate for just this reason. I have tried the "touch up" model but it just makes everything else look shabby...shabbier. Painting isn't a summer job here, though. We don't have enough summer to waste even a rainy day painting, but I sure have a lot of painting planned for fall!

Florence
8-12-11, 7:53am
. But I'm starting to eye other rooms suspiciously. "Why don't you look as nice as your cousin the bathroom?"

Exactly!! I'm even thinking about painting the bedroom a nice pale green. See, this is how the madness perpetuates itself...

Tenngal
8-13-11, 9:26am
my next big project will be stripping the wallpaper in the back bathroom and painting. Several years ago, it took me at least the better part of 5 days to get this done in the other bath. Not looking forward to it. The laundry room had become dingy and dirty over the years and we painted. Just used an antique white, eggshell finish paint so we could scrub the walls if need be. It turned out so well. I love painting and the fresh new smell that comes along with it, husband hates the smell. But, yes when one room is done, it makes the rest look bad.