PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys and Aliens

Anne Lee
8-7-11, 9:19pm
A real shoot em up w/ aliens. A little bloody for my taste. The main characters weren't that compelling; I never did grow to like the Harrison Ford character and was meh about the Daniel Craig character. Some of the secondaries were a little more interesting, particularly Nat (Adam Beach). The aliens really aren't characters as much as foils so in that sense it's not truly sci-fi.

The story was predictable. Advancing the plot depended a lot on some expository info by Ella (Olivia Wilde) and it never was quite clear to me how she KNEW all the stuff she supposedly knew or how she ended up in the setting.

The effects were quite good which is really a baseline requirement for that type of movie. Still, I want to give them their due.

All in all, this was a video game brought to the big screen. My two sons liked it and DH enjoyed it.

iris lily
8-7-11, 11:24pm
DH saws this with one of his girlfriends, but I wasn't interested. Sorry, I've lost interest in the big screen at the moment.

Float On
8-8-11, 7:54am
We saw it yesterday. I don't see many movies in the theater but to be honest we were looking for an escape from the heat. Our central air/heat unit died on Thursday night. The patch on Friday didn't work. We were looking for anywhere to go to escape the heat. The 14 and 15 year olds really enjoyed it, the 48 year old husband enjoyed it, and I thought it was o.k.-good. And I too would of liked a little more explanation from Ella than just 'a place above the sky'.

cdttmm
8-8-11, 8:15am
I can't wait to see it - of course it will be goofy - but it's my type of goofy, which means it will be a rockin' good time!!!

goldensmom
8-8-11, 8:59am
Accurate review Anne Lee. I liked it, a no-think escape movie. I like westerns and alien movies so, even though unusual, the mix was okay with me. I always wonder why aliens are portrayed as big, ugly bugs with green blood.

daisy
8-8-11, 11:25am
Hmmm, I didn't know Adam Beach was in it. I may have to see this now, since I don't mind looking at him. ;)

Sissy
8-9-11, 11:21am
I have only seen the preview. This is not my type of movie. I did notice that "13" Olivia Wilde (from "House") was in it. I was wondering if she had been in anything else beside that show.

kally
8-18-11, 12:19am
A big disappointment. A good cast, but I story I just didn't click with at all.