PDA

View Full Version : Do You Volunteer? Everyone can take this poll.

KayLR
8-10-11, 1:59pm
Even if it's only one hour per week, please respond according to your age bracket. This will help me in some organizational work I'm involved with. Thanks!

Maxamillion
8-10-11, 7:51pm
I have in the past but currently am not. I'd really like to, but I'm in the middle of nowhere and just don't have the extra money for gas.

Mrs-M
8-10-11, 8:49pm
Volunteer work is something I have always wanted to do, but having a large family (with young children) restricts me from being able to, however once my younger children reach a more independent stage where I'm comfortable with branching out, I definitely see myself contributing to and supporting volunteer work.

Just as a side-note, I've been really disheartened lately over poll topics. I see poll results off-balancing posted entries, and IMO, that just isn't right. If members are going to take the time to vote, then take the time to post a simple entry to support. It's only fair, and it would make for a more accurate and enjoyable poll. Besides, when a member takes the time to set up a poll thread, I like to think the member deserves better in the way of overall participation than a bunch of silent/secret pollsters.

Maybe our moderator team can set up a more restrictive process by way of a tighter more strict format (program) Re: poll topics to quash the skewed results happening lately on poll threads.

Awesome poll KayLRZ!

iris lily
8-10-11, 10:00pm
Sure, I do a lot of community work, I'd be bored if I didn't.

This weekend I'll be working both Saturday and Sunday at the iris sale. I love to convince people to plant iris!

freein05
8-10-11, 10:52pm
I volunteer at the state park near us on average 20 hours a week. I really enjoy it. My wife volunteers at the local food bank 4 hours a week and we both volunteer 2 hours a week keeping the local park and swimming hole clean. We both feel very good helping our local community. We also plan on donating more money to local organization. They seem to have lower overhead no million dollar CEOs and are more in tune with the needs of our community.

KayLR
8-10-11, 11:04pm
Volunteer work is something I have always wanted to do, but having a large family (with young children) restricts me from being able to, however once my younger children reach a more independent stage where I'm comfortable with branching out, I definitely see myself contributing to and supporting volunteer work.

Just as a side-note, I've been really disheartened lately over poll topics. I see poll results off-balancing posted entries, and IMO, that just isn't right. If members are going to take the time to vote, then take the time to post a simple entry to support. It's only fair, and it would make for a more accurate and enjoyable poll. Besides, when a member takes the time to set up a poll thread, I like to think the member deserves better in the way of overall participation than a bunch of silent/secret pollsters.

Maybe our moderator team can set up a more restrictive process by way of a tighter more strict format (program) Re: poll topics to quash the skewed results happening lately on poll threads.

Awesome poll KayLRZ!

It's really okay, Ms. M----I only wanted the info I asked for in the poll on this particular issue. I mean, it's fine if people want to add a reply, but it's okay if they don't, too. I could have asked them to embellish if I needed them to.

ljevtich
8-10-11, 11:12pm
I work during the summer season and volunteer in the winter. So does my husband. I work as a seasonal Park Ranger and volunteer as an interpretation docent. Both at National Parks. The volunteering gig is 16 hours a week (per person) which gets us a spot for our RV plus sewer, water, and electricity. Not bad for time worked!

Rosemary
8-11-11, 12:06am
I volunteer at DD's school, our church, our public library, and on a city committee. DD and I also volunteer informally at a cat shelter, where we go regularly to socialize the cats. She's too young to be an official volunteer, but she absolutely loves doing this, and the other volunteers enjoy seeing her and how good she is with cats.

Stella
8-11-11, 5:37am
I volunteer at my church. We have signed up as a family to start visiting at a nursing home, hopefully this fall.

Spartana
8-11-11, 1:23pm
I do some volunteer work at or for the VA hospital nearest me. I use it myself since I have a service-connected disability, so it's my way of giving back directly. Also collect clothes for the VA's Homeless Vets programs.

janharker
8-11-11, 1:41pm
Is there no one under 30 in this forum?

Stella
8-11-11, 1:50pm
I know of at least one member who is under 30, but it has always skewed a bit older around here. I started on the old board when I was in my early twenties, but that was a decade ago.

treehugger
8-11-11, 2:54pm

Off topic: You are definitely entitled to your opinion. This is mine: I think this sort of negative, chastising, intending-to-shame comment discourages rather than encourages greater participation in topics, polls or otherwise. Just like on any message board, there will always be lurkers and participants, and the amount of regular contributors ebbs and flows. Nagging the lurkers doesn't convince them they should join in the conversation.

On topic: My husband and I both regularly (about twice a month) volunteer with our greyhound rescue group. So do our greyhounds, but I'm pretty sure you are only interested in human volunteers. :) I used to volunteer for more causes (animal shelter, community college plant sales, tutoring) and will do so again when I can quit my second job.

Kara