PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for making "sandwich slenders"

Aqua Blue
8-14-11, 9:46am
I really like those sandwich slenders for sandwiches, mini pizzas etc.

I tired making some once. I used a small amount of dough, rolled in out pretty thin, let it rise a second time and then baked. They were good as far as taste, but they weren't thin like the ends of a loaf of bread like the store bought ones.

Does anyone have any experince making them? Any ideas? I was thinking that maybe they needed to be made like English muffins-in the skillet instead of in the oven. I would like to figure out something similar, as they are $$$ and wouldn't cost that much to make.

Gina
8-14-11, 10:41am
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a 'sandwich slender'? Using really thin bread like pitas?

Aqua Blue
8-14-11, 1:26pm
Yes, they are kinda like pita bread, which I have made before and might be a good launching point. Almost all of the major bread brands have their version of them. They are usually with the roll section in the grocery store. Health Choices calls theirs sandwich slenders. They are usually sold in packages of 6 or 8. The ones I buy aren't quite as puffy as pita is. they are more like the two end pieces in a loaf of bread.

iris lily
8-14-11, 8:45pm
funny, I just discovered these in the grocery store. They are a nice change from tortillas. They are 100 calories.

Tiam
8-16-11, 12:47am
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfBnPKfoNfKGh2DxMJcX4AU1Ozm5mXd LdgbPNCDb25f6pFie2IqA

I guess you could do the same as any sandwich, am I right? Not sure about making them. I have tried an tried to make a nice hamburger roll, and it always just comes out tasting like a lump of bread.

Blackdog Lin
8-16-11, 5:32am
I guess I actually made a batch of these last week! My method: using my new hamburger bun recipe, and leaving the dough in the fridge for 48 hours (directions said up to 3 days), and then having the shaped buns rise outward instead of upward during the rising of the dough, and then baking them anyway.....voila! very thin hamburger buns, aka sandwich slenders.

:)

Aqua Blue
8-16-11, 9:44am
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfBnPKfoNfKGh2DxMJcX4AU1Ozm5mXd LdgbPNCDb25f6pFie2IqA

I guess you could do the same as any sandwich, am I right? Not sure about making them. I have tried an tried to make a nice hamburger roll, and it always just comes out tasting like a lump of bread.

Mother Earth news has a good hamburger roll recipe. I have made them and really liked them. I think you can get it on their web site.

Miss Cellane
8-16-11, 2:02pm
If you can get the dough thin enough, I think the big problem would be how to slice the buns in half--the ones I buy are only about 3/5 of an inch thick. The only thing that I can think of that would do the job is a cake leveler, which uses a thin wire to cut cake layers into more layers. Trying to cut one with a knife would just lead to a mass of crumbs, I think.

Aqua Blue
8-16-11, 2:48pm
If you can get the dough thin enough, I think the big problem would be how to slice the buns in half--the ones I buy are only about 3/5 of an inch thick. The only thing that I can think of that would do the job is a cake leveler, which uses a thin wire to cut cake layers into more layers. Trying to cut one with a knife would just lead to a mass of crumbs, I think.

Good point.