PDA

View Full Version : Crab Apples?

SiouzQ.
8-14-11, 10:45am
Has anyone ever made anything with them? I was dropping off a friend yesterday and his gigantic grab apple tree was overflowing with an abundance of perfect little "apples." I picked a small bag full and am now wondering how to use them - I know they are super-tart!

cdttmm
8-14-11, 11:21am
When I was little we always used up the abundance of crab apples that were readily available from neighbor's trees. I seem to remember we mostly made them into applesauce and fruit leather as the tartness was more tolerable in those forms. I'm sure my mom made them into many other things, too, as she was (and still is) and amazing cook.

Aqua Blue
8-15-11, 6:57pm
apple jelly, candied apples, apple juice

puglogic
8-15-11, 10:39pm
I used to have a very prolific tree, and have made crabapple jelly and brewed a crabapple brown ale - very good. I have a high tolerance for tartness, though!

Simpler at Fifty
8-16-11, 6:49am
I pickled them. If I remember it was a 2 day process. My Grandma had a large tree. We always had a quart of pickled apples on the table at mealtime.

IshbelRobertson
8-16-11, 6:54am
My Mum used to make the most amazing crab apple and rosehip jelly. Such a beautiful colour and amazing flavour. I don't make so many jams and jellies nowadays, though - just tons of marmalade!