PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with parsley jelly?

KayLR
8-14-11, 6:31pm
I have a ton of parsley---and have been drying it. BUT the other day I was perusing my jam/jelly/preserve book and found a recipe for parsley jelly.

What would you do with such a condiment? I can only imagine it might accompany some kind of beef dish, but beyond that??

Anyone?

Mrs. Hermit
8-14-11, 8:43pm
With cream cheese on buttery crackers!

Amaranth
8-17-11, 11:59am
As a spread for a chicken or turkey sandwich or scrambled egg sandwich ?

I'd be more likely to use one though if it were a parsley-jalepeno jelly.

Gregg
8-17-11, 12:27pm
Just when you think you've heard it all! That's a new one on me, but I would think it would be good with most meats and certainly on most meat sandwiches (roast beef, turkey breast, etc.). Maybe on my favorite, a BLT, for a twist?

Kevin
8-18-11, 9:10am
My mother and grandmother used to make parsley sauce, which is really just a white sauce with lots of chopped parsley mixed into it. We used to have it with poached white fish or with boiled gammon.

I suppose you could use parsley jelly in the same way that we use mint jelly, as a condiment. Mint sauce (chopped fresh mint, sugar and vinegar) or mint jelly are served with roast lamb, where the mint really goes with the strong flavour and the fattiness, but the milder parsley flavour could go with other meats very well.

Kevin

IshbelRobertson
8-18-11, 2:09pm
It's not something I'd use- presumably it uses sugar to make the jelly' part? - why not just wash the stuff, either freeze or make parsley icecubes to chuck into casseroles, stews and other dishes? I make parsley sauce (as desccribed above) to serve with poaced white fish or oven roasted gammon/ham.

KayLR
8-19-11, 6:35pm
I know, right, Isabel? I'm not sure the recipe really includes sugar, but still. Making any jam or jelly recipe you end up with at least 6 jars of something. Wow, how popular would I be for including a jar of that in Christmas baskets this year?

I think maybe I will try making some of the sauce and freezing it.