PDA

View Full Version : Tradd's tutorial for selling on Amazon (books, CDs, DVDs)

Tradd
8-20-11, 9:02pm
I wrote this up at the request of a few friends. I've made several thousand dollars selling books on Amazon since 2003 or so. I've got a perfect 5-star seller rating, and since I was given many of these tips on another board years ago, I like to share them when I can. When my office had some layoffs almost a month ago, I immediately went home that day, culled through my books, and started listing them on Amazon, along with a few DVDs (that I'd bought a few months ago but hadn't watched yet). I've made about $200 so far, and I posted more books yesterday (I'm in the midst of major dental work and my car needs brakes).

The Amazon site can be a bit confusing and the book-selling procedures were changed a few years ago, so I wrote a very clear how-to.

How to sell books, movies, music on Amazon

Gather up the items you want to sell. Mass market paperbacks (the small ones) aren't usually worth selling on Amazon. Give those away or donate to your library. Trade paperbacks (the larger ones, often the size of a hardcover) are usually worth selling.

One of the most important things to note: you must ship within 2 business days of receiving the order. So if you sell something on a Friday, it must ship by Tuesday at the latest. There is no way around this. Not shipping on time puts you in violation of the selling agreement and is one of the best ways to get a negative rating from a buyer. If you can't commit to this, get rid of your books some other way.

Also, each book must have an ISBN number. If it's so old it doesn't have an ISBN, you can't sell it on Amazon.

Go to the Amazon website on your computer. In the search box, simply type the ISBN number (or bar code number for CDs and DVDs) into that box. When the product page comes up, make sure it's the correct item you have. For books, you might have to choose a different format (hardcover or paperback) from the different editions available. On the right side, you will see a "sell yours here" button. Click on that. Simply follow the steps to list your item.

When it comes to the field asking about condition, read the little explanation of conditions. It's very important to correctly state the condition of your item. Go through a book to make sure there is no writing in it. If there is any writing, even a pen line in a margin, you have to note it. Mention things like: dust jacket missing, spine slightly bent, CD missing insert, DVD/CD case slightly cracked.

Pricing: it's best to price your items just a wee bit under the lowest price shown. That way, your item shows up first in the Amazon listing for that item, with a lowest price icon next to.

Sometimes, given the other prices listed, it's not worth to sell your item. My rule of thumb is that if I'm not going to get at least $7 for an item, it's not worth it. Consider your time, as well as if you need cash badly or are simply decluttering and the cash is a plus.

Shipping options: unless you have the capability to drop everything to get to the post office to ship something out next day or priority mail, don't choose to offer these services. Just pick "standard shipping" which is the default option. Standard shipping is media mail with the US Postal Service, 4th class mail.

Once your items are listed, it's very helpful to keep an eye on your inventory every day (especially if you're selling to raise cash). Simply go to Amazon's website, then your account, then your seller account (this link is on the right hand side, in the middle, on account page). Go to "manage your inventory." If any of your items are no longer the lowest price (green check mark in that column), then adjust the price (usually just a few cents) to make it the lowest one again. Staying on top of this really helps to sell your books.

Shipping: Get yourself a black Sharpie marker and padded envelopes of various sizes that will fit your items. I like the plastic 3M ones. Target has the best deal. If you have access to Sam's Club or Costco, check out the prices for multi-packs (not usually available at Target or Walmart). They may or may not be cheaper than buying individual ones. Don't buy too many envelopes at first, in case your stuff doesn't sell very well. 4-5 are a good start. It's also good to have some clear packing tape in case you want to tape an envelope shut.

I don't bother to print out packing lists from Amazon's website. I simply write "Your Amazon.com order" under my return address on the envelope. You may want to print the packing slips. It's your option.

When an item sells, you will get two emails from Amazon. First, one telling you a listing has sold out. Second, one telling you the payment has been processed from the buyer and you can ship.

Go to your seller account and choose "manage orders." Choose the proper item and click on long order ID number to get full details, including ship-to address. If the ship-to address doesn't have the Zip+4 for the zip code, just look it up quickly on the usps.com website (just enter the address). Adding the +4 numbers to the zip code seems to get it there a bit faster.

Now you will see several buttons on the far right side of a listing. One is to print a packing slip and one is to confirm shipment. You HAVE to confirm shipment AFTER you've mailed something in order to get paid. If you don't confirm, you don't get paid. Period.

Pack up your items, take them to the post office, and ship via media mail. I don't bother with delivery confirmation unless it is a more expensive item, such as a multi-disc DVD set. Remember that Amazon only gives you a $3.99 shipping credit. If you buy all the extra services (delivery confirmation, etc.), it eats into your profits and can add up quickly.

When you come home from the post office, confirm items shipped. Voila! Done! :D

Getting paid: Amazon will direct deposit your earnings into the checking account you designate every two weeks. You can initiate it sooner.

Going on vacation: if you're going to be away for a time, even a weekend, it's best to put your "store" on vacation, too. Go to your seller account and then "seller account information." Scroll down to where you see "active" status and then click edit to change it to "inactive."

loosechickens
8-20-11, 11:03pm
Very useful thread, Tradd.....and good information.

I have been an Amazon seller for some years now, myself, much more up until the last year or so, but certainly way up in the thousands of dollars of sales over the years, and it IS a great way to make some extra money, even if just to move your own books through your life and on to others who will enjoy them.

I'd add just a couple of points. One is to not be afraid of shipping internationally. Any book that would fit into a flat rate Priority mail envelope, you can ship by Global Priority Mail to most countries. The Amazon shipping allowance pretty close to covers the cost of shipping, and you can get the Global Priority Mail envelopes free at the post office.

It seems daunting, but if you are selling used books, it's a matter of filling out a short customs declaration form (also available at the post office), popping the book into the Global Priority envelope and mailing it at the post office just as you do any other shipment. I sold hundreds upon hundreds of books internationally, often for very good prices, and it is an especially good market for the very narrow audience type books, of limited appeal, but with subject matter that a few, worldwide will pay a LOT to get their hands on (such as a book on the burial practices of Bronze age peoples in Siberia, or identifying plant matter that washes up on beaches worldwide........two books that I picked up in a thrift store or library book sale for a couple dollars and sold internationally for nearly a hundred bucks each).

Also, many who sell on Amazon are afraid to get into doing international shipping, thinking it too complicated, etc., which reduces your competion, and opens you to those worldwide English speaking readers that often have fewer sources for obtaining books and are eager buyers.

While those "finds" are rare, just doing Amazon for your own books can be worthwhile, especially if you develop some expertise in spotting books of good value (think small press runs, long shelf life, and a serious audience, such as university press books, which were something of a specialty for me, for example).

Thanks for taking your time to detail all this Tradd.......I know members will appreciate, and some will be able to use that info to advantage.

Tradd
8-20-11, 11:13pm
Sorry for getting a little emphatic in places, but I know people who've started to sell and then gotten themselves into a jam as they were disorganized or just not willing to run to the post office as often as needed.

Never thought about doing international.

flowerseverywhere
8-20-11, 11:16pm
excellent post Tradd. Thank you for all the info.

iris lily
8-21-11, 12:49am
Thanks for this, tradd--I'll tuck it away. While I'm not very motivated to sell much on Ebay, I do have a few books that might do ok and the book package is so easy to describe and ship. I might try Amazon. Diana in Wisconsin always tried Half-com as well.

I have one antiquarian book that I want to get rid of since I've never liked it, I just grabbed it when I saw it, by one of my favorite illustrators, Jessie King. I paid around $8 for it and there are copies in the UK listed at $1,000 to $2,000. But that is pie in the sky.

I want to partner with a local bookseller, here, one who has a reputation in accuratley describing condition, to sell this thing.

Tradd
8-21-11, 1:07am
Iris, the thing I always liked about Amazon is that there's no auction. The newer eBay rules seem to not be in favor of the little guys, from what I hear.

Merski
8-21-11, 7:33am
Great advice. We sell on amazon and put our older books on alibris, which has a template set up so that you can edit it for publisher etc..
We were wondering if it's worthwhile to do internet post office labels & shipping postage. Does anyone do this?

Tradd
8-21-11, 2:16pm
I'd think you would need some sort of a scale. Media mail depends on weight and distance, too, I believe. If I had a scale, I think I'd do that.