PDA

View Full Version : sandwich makings

pinkytoe
8-24-11, 1:16pm
I try to bring leftovers for lunch at work, but often end up making a traditional sandwich with lunchmeat, cheese and veggies.Yuck! I would love to come up with some tasty alternatives. What are your favorite home-made sandwiches? Would love some vegetarian alternatives!

Greg44
8-24-11, 2:11pm
This is something I struggle with all the time...some ideas - all vegetarian

Smart Dogs - veggie dogs - must be microwaved, really gross if you boil them. Anyway I take a couple to work (and zero fat)
Bean/cheese burritos
Leftovers of about anything from the night before
Cheese/bean quesadillas eat cold or re-heat
MorningStar "Grillers" make a burger at work

loosechickens
8-24-11, 2:43pm
I like an apple, diced really fine, or grated, mixed with crunchy peanut butter, with some cinnamon added, as a sandwich spread. Also roasted red peppers between slices of homemade whole wheat bread spread with cream cheese. And, it's hard to beat a leftover homemade lentil or bean burger, on homemade rye bread with mustard, mayo and dill pickle slices.........ummmm....one more.....leftover grilled tempeh, on rye, with Swiss cheese and very well drained saurkraut (I usually put that in a separate container and spread on the sandwich at lunch time...), finished off with a mustard,mayo,ketchup dressing........

treehugger
8-24-11, 2:50pm
Hummus is my favorite vegetarian sandwich filling (in a tortilla or pita with cucumber and feta). I also love cheese and cucumber and sprouts on a a sturdy, nut/seed/multi-grain roll.

But mostly for lunch, I prefer to bring leftovers to reheat, rather than making a sandwich at all. Too many years of bringing a sandwich every day for lunch throughout school. Burned out.

Kara

Florence
8-24-11, 4:19pm
My favorite homemade sandwich:
2 slices OatNut bread
Mustard
Sandwich meat--turkey or ham
Baby spinach leaves
Tomato slices
Red onion slices
Avocado slices

I could eat one of those every day!!

Gardenarian
8-24-11, 5:10pm
Try using pesto as a spread - it makes everything taste great. One of my favorite sandwiches is lettuce, tomato, havarti cheese, avocado slices, and pesto. Yum.

IshbelRobertson
8-24-11, 6:34pm
Scrambled eggs, allowed to go cold. In a home-made granary bread sandwich or roll. Lots and lots of cress.

Coronation chicken in the same bread.

Diced (small) apple, in a home-made mayonnaise with roast pork.

Egg mayonnaise, chopped watercress.

puglogic
8-24-11, 8:07pm
This week I have so many tomatoes that I've been making tomato, mozzarella, and pepperoni sandwiches, with pesto smeared on the bread. It's amazing.

But I like turkey and avocado and muenster cheese. And chicken salad made with diced apples, dried cranberries, red onion, celery, and walnuts. And pulled pork, made with leftover pork frozen in sandwich-sized batches. Lots of sandwich possibilities!

CathyA
8-24-11, 8:31pm
You'd need to take this stuff separately and then put it together at lunch, but its sooooo good!
Slather bread with mayo, then put on slices of cucumber, onion, and tomato. Its great even without the tomato.

winterberry
8-25-11, 3:06pm
Cream cheese and apple butter or jelly, especially good on raisin bread.

catherine
8-25-11, 4:07pm
My mother ALWAYS packed for my lunch cream cheese and chopped green olives mashed up with a little milk and then she spread it generously on bread... I LOVE it to this day.

Also, a little smoked salmon with arugula or watercress with a little horseradish dressing--mmm!

Yesterday, my daughter turned me on to a veggie burger crumbled and put in a whole wheat tortilla wrap with lettuce, tomato, ketchup and mustard (I added red onions).

Rosemary
8-25-11, 8:00pm
I don't really eat sandwiches very often anymore, but for years my very favorite sandwich was also one of the simplest:

a piece of real rye bread (this is an open sandwich)
a light touch of mayo
fresh, sliced tomato from the garden
salt, pepper

Anne Lee
8-26-11, 11:52am
Hard boiled eggs. Pumpernickel bread, cream cheese, tomato. Lentils and brown rice wrapped in a tortilla. Hummus on pita.

Bastelmutti
8-26-11, 12:22pm
Falafel in pita
Refried beans as a sandwich spread
Hummus sandwich

Yesterday I tried using a collard green leaf as a sandwich wrap, and it was pretty good. Pour boiling water over a collard leaf just to soften. Dry and cut out or trim hard rib. Fill w/ toppings and roll like a burrito. We used refried beans, sriracha and vegetables.

Gregg
8-26-11, 5:56pm
Meatloaf on hearty bread with chipotle ketchup. Blend ketchup, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, a little brown sugar and a bunch of carmelized onions in a food processor.

Cream cheese, onions, cucumbers on caraway bread.

Glo
8-27-11, 9:37am
Tomato, mayo, and peanut butter on ww bread; I could live on it!

Merski
8-27-11, 11:51am
muenster cheese, alfalfa sprouts and avocado slices

Hummus and tabbouleh with tomatoes, lettuce & good black olives in a tortilla