PDA

View Full Version : Interesting raised beds....

puglogic
8-24-11, 10:47pm
I saw these and they looked so cool. Anyone done these?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_N3b2RXqw09o/TBPCpPC8tuI/AAAAAAAAANk/GcPz0YNz3rw/s1600/June+12+014.JPG

goldensmom
8-25-11, 6:26am
New to me. I’ve seen raised beds in lots of things but never culverts. I’m considering foregoing the humungous traditional garden next year and just doing to a few small raised beds. I don’t want to build anything and these look easy, I will check it out further.

Zoebird
8-25-11, 6:33am
what are they?

razz
8-25-11, 7:37am
what are they?

They are cut up galvanized metal culverts that are usually used to drain water under roadways.

Sissy
8-25-11, 9:25am
They look critter proof, which would be a great thing for us. I don't have the culverts, but I think the same would work with concrete blocks.

Sherry

Gina
8-25-11, 9:28am
Those look really really cool. The older lady next door had 2 taller, round, raised beds made for her out of those stacking, interlocking, 'retaining wall' concrete blocks that those vaguely remind me of. She liked hers a lot.

I personally don't like raised beds, but those round ones eliminate the corners which for me were always a problem (hard to water, a place for bugs and slugs to live). Also made out of metal, those won't deteriorate, unless its aluminum, but even that would take forever. Wiht those, there would also be no construction - just plunk them down, fill them, and plant.

I wonder how the hot metal in the sun would affect the soil and roots?

jania
8-25-11, 9:29am
Wow, these people are organized. These beds look ready to fend off any animal looking for a free tasty munch.

iris lily
8-25-11, 10:34am
I can't help but see all of the wasted soil in those beds. I suppose they are intended for someone who doesn't want to bend over. That's a LOT of soil gathering and filling for a conventional raised bed.

How are these culverts cut? If you have to cut them anyway, I'd do it at half height.

Gingerella72
8-25-11, 10:47am
I like the look of these, nice and tidy.

Next year I'm going to try raised beds using used tires. No building required, and most tire shops/garages will let you take used ones for free so they don't have to pay to dispose of them.

Float On
8-25-11, 11:11am
After this horrible summer of heat I don't think I'd consider metal ones (the soil would heat and dry and I'd burn my knees or legs trying to work it) but I love my wood ones. Metal would be nice in the NW in the cooler climate.

Gina
8-25-11, 12:36pm
If you have to cut them anyway, I'd do it at half height.
The height is what I find most appealing, and not because of the bending. It would take more work to fill them of course, but if you have poor or rocky soil, poorly drained, or live in a dry environment, that high seems about right - much like giant flower pots. In the off season you could just keep dumping organic stuff (kitchen waste, manure, ground leaves) into them - sort of a contained lasagne bed.

Gina
8-25-11, 12:42pm
After this horrible summer of heat I don't think I'd consider metal ones (the soil would heat and dry and I'd burn my knees or legs trying to work it) but I love my wood ones. Metal would be nice in the NW in the cooler climate.
Yes, the heat would be a downside - but you could probably cover them with something to keep them cooler. Maybe even white paint?

On the up-side, perhaps the metal (and height) might make the soil warmer earlier for a jump on the season. :)

goldensmom
8-25-11, 7:14pm
I can't help but see all of the wasted soil in those beds. I suppose they are intended for someone who doesn't want to bend over. That's a LOT of soil gathering and filling for a conventional raised bed.

How are these culverts cut? If you have to cut them anyway, I'd do it at half height.

They are the same as the galvanized fire rings available in various heights and widths at hardware stores. The culverts pictured appear to have sharp edges whereas the ones intended to be used as a fire pit have rolled over, non-sharp edges. They could be painted to help the hot metal issue.