PDA

View Full Version : Fall Crops

Greg44
8-25-11, 1:34pm
I built my first raised cedar bed (still sporting a black fingernail to prove it :( ). The problem is I didn't finish it until the end of July, so it sits empty.

I have never planted for the fall before. Our first frost date here in the valley is Oct. 1st. Right now it has been in the mid - high 80's.

What do you plant for the fall and when do plant? Seedlings or seeds?

Thanks!
Greg44

herbgeek
8-25-11, 1:44pm
Some of my fall garden is in- we get first frost anytime from mid September to mid October, although last year it was late (end of October). I started seeds for some crops (brassicas primarily) and direct seed others (carrots, lettuce mixes). I will probably do more carrots, lettuces and asian greens. I have row covers for when it gets cold, and then I have greenhouse plastic for after that. I'm hoping to be able to harvest well into December. Last year I overwintered a bunch of things, that while I wasn't able to harvest over the winter since they weren't covered, they came back in early spring and I was able to have salad in April, which is unheard of here in New England.

Gina
8-25-11, 4:07pm
Frost is rare here, so I can garden year-round, esp if it's a warmer winter. I plant seeds in plug flats then transplant my own seedlings. For fall, I like to have seeds planted by mid to late August, although it's hard to make a mistake here.

Last week I planted seeds for broccoli, spinach, pak choi, chinese cabbage, mibuna, more lettuce, and even some late season cukes (var cool breeze) and squash (zucchini). I also want to plant some peas, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe also some mache (very cold hardy). I keep planting green beans (bush romano type) until I get tired of doing it. They don't bear as much when it gets cooler, but I have lots of seed, so why not. :)