PDA

View Full Version : Creativity and innovation at work

razz
8-26-11, 7:50am
I cam across this link in a twice weekly letter about art from R Genn (rgenn@saraphina.com) and thought that some may not have heard of this research about work and creative thinking myths by a Harvard professor.
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/89/creativity.html?page=0%2C0

[Prof] Amabile and her team are still combing through the results. But this groundbreaking study is already overturning some long-held beliefs about innovation in the workplace. In an interview with Fast Company, she busted six cherished myths about creativity. (If you want to quash creativity in your organization, just continue to embrace them.) Here they are, in her own words.

iris lily
8-26-11, 9:10am
I used to be able to come up with out-of-the-box solutions during time pressure events, but no longer. My brain doesn't work that way anymore, when time-challenged it retreats. But it's interesting that this researcher thinks that time pressures do not ever aid creativity.

kitten
8-26-11, 3:12pm
Such an interesting topic. Creativity is something that employers tend to say they want, but I wonder if that's true. I recall an article where employers were asked to rate their desired qualities in employees from first to last. At the top of the list: obedience. Intelligence and creativity were the last two items on the list.

The other day the manager actually said this in a meeting: "I want you to know I have an open door policy, and I want your ideas. But just know that if you come to me with ideas, I won't be able to do anything about them." Yet the cant here is all about "creativity." Makes me wanna scream!

catherine
8-26-11, 3:28pm
I love this topic--especially in light of Steve Jobs' retirement.

One of my favorite business/leadership books is Daniel Pink's A Whole New Mind, which talks about the Right Brained role in business.

I also love this topic because my family (DH and 3 DS and 1 DD are proudly "Creatives"--musicians, film folks, graphic designers etc.). They seem to think I'm like Marilyn Munster--not in their "creative, artistic" league. In fact, my son begs me to go back to my "creative" roots--when I drew, made my own clothes, etc.

But I KNOW that I need to draw on my creative, right brain to succeed in business, and it's not a disconnect. My reports take visual and verbal aptitude, an ability to communicate in a variety of ways, and even the strategic recommendations I have to make to business leaders is a creative endeavor! If I, the market researcher, can't be the visionary for their company, who can?

I do think the smaller the company the more open they are to creative solutions. Like any other monolithic institution, the larger the corporation, the more risk-averse--and you have to be risk-tolerant to be creative.

I love business. I love seeing how different modes of communication effect different calls to action. It's fascinating.

Thanks for the article--and I really hope that the spirit of Steve Jobs lives on in Apple and in other corporations.

puglogic
8-26-11, 4:20pm
Catherine, it's interesting, but working very close to Steve Jobs was one of my very first forays into Real Employment as a youngster, right around the time the Macintosh launched. Imagine a 20-year old trying to answer the question, "You -- you there. What the *&^% do you do for me?" (he was much grumpier back then)

Creativity is the cornerstone of self-employment. Mainstream employment? I'm not so sure.

catherine
8-26-11, 4:37pm
Catherine, it's interesting, but working very close to Steve Jobs was one of my very first forays into Real Employment as a youngster, right around the time the Macintosh launched. Imagine a 20-year old trying to answer the question, "You -- you there. What the *&^% do you do for me?" (he was much grumpier back then)

Creativity is the cornerstone of self-employment. Mainstream employment? I'm not so sure.

Yes, I'm self-employed and I agree. I have worked for small, entrepreneurial-spirited companies and it was great. I left when when working there was nothing more than being a cog in the wheel.

Interesting about your experience with Steve Jobs, though!! I know that he was reputed to be extremely demanding and egotistical. But his product is what it is, and I think it's a beauty.