PDA

View Full Version : Funny traditions of your and your spouse or SO

iris lily
8-31-11, 9:37pm
DH and I have a ritual that makes me laugh every time: we stick out our tongues at each other when we pass each other in our neighborhood.

Because we both work close to home and have our extra garden plots nearby, one of us is always walking or driving around for the other one to see. It is stupid but I laugh when we do it!

Over to you, what to you guys do?

Mighty Frugal
8-31-11, 10:09pm
When the situation warrants it we quote old (pre 1999) Simpsons (TV show) Lines. Really obscure ones that nobody else remembers.
For instance, if he tells me about a deal somewhere I will usually reply with
'what time and how burnt?'

When there is a mob scene he will say
'and here comes the pretzels'

cracks me up

Kestra
8-31-11, 10:47pm
We both are avid readers and have pretty big vocabularies so we like to use big random words. But we especially like to purposely mispronounce words or abbreviations. Like "pecan" nuts. Instead of saying it the northern way of pee-can or southern - pe-cahn, he's got me saying "peck-in". I couldn't even order a piece of pie one day since I couldn't say it correctly. Same thing with jalapenos - we use the "j" sound, so I almost said this at the sandwich shop. Anything French or Spanish and certain English words - anything where saying it phonetically is wrong and sounds stupid - that's what we do. Can't think of too many examples right now.

Mrs-M
8-31-11, 11:56pm
Lots of fun! DH and I pinch each other on the bum. (Gently and playfully, non-hurtful). We've been doing it to each other for years, and like to do it when the other least expects it.

kally
9-1-11, 1:41am
if we say the same word at the same time we hold up our pinky fingers to link together and make this sound.

Eeee ee eeee ee eeeee ee, kinda like a saw.

Wildflower
9-1-11, 5:00am
These are all so funny!! :)

If no one else is around we smack each other on the butt when we pass in the hallway. I know, crazy.... >8)

We blow kisses at each other across the living room alot too. :laff:

Mrs-M
9-1-11, 10:30am
Originally posted by Wildflower.
we smack each other on the buttLMAO! Not crazy at all. We've been known to do the same.

Bastelmutti
9-1-11, 11:03am
When the situation warrants it we quote old (pre 1999) Simpsons (TV show) Lines. Really obscure ones that nobody else remembers.
For instance, if he tells me about a deal somewhere I will usually reply with
'what time and how burnt?'

When there is a mob scene he will say
'and here comes the pretzels'

cracks me up

Queen of the harpies! (said jokingly, of course)
"Whale of a wife" was a joke when I was pregnant - from a cake Homer gives Marge

treehugger
9-1-11, 11:53am
We quote movies and TV shows to each other a lot, too.

I also like to make inanimate objects talk and have personalities. My DH is so used to this that it doesn't phase him in the slightest (he knows I am a nut). But the other night, I made pita bread and then for some reason, I was moved to make the pita bread call him a bastard (it had a mouth, after all!) and then it apologized to him and gave him a kiss (yeah, I know I'm a nut). What was so funny was that actually took DH by surprise. I didn't know I could do anything that could still surprise him after all these years!

A big one for us is hard to describe to outsiders, but it's actually one of our secrets to a good marriage. Years ago, we were arguing with each other late one night, about who knows what, probably nothing important. I asked him a question, and he shot back, "Because you're dumb!" This struck me so funny that I started laughing hysterically and he joined me. Fight over.

So now, whenever we recognize that we are squabbling over something silly, one will announce, "Because you're dumb!" and that brings us right into the moment and instantly reminds us that we love each other (see, I said it was hard to explain) and there's actually nothing to argue about.

Kara

KayLR
9-1-11, 12:38pm
We have SO many of these things we do to each other. My favorite thing (aside from tricking him into carrying my purse) is when he's built/moved/fixed something I've asked him to. Then after all his effort I'll say, "Ah, ya know...I really liked it the other way better."

For some reason it always catches him off guard. So it's very satisfying.

This all started years ago when we were at a baseball game at Tropicana Field. I saw the cotton candy vendor quite a few sections over, and said, (now don't be haters) "Oh, cotton candy!" So he gets up and goes after the guy. Well, the guy kept moving in the direction AWAY from our seats and so DH must've been gone about 15 min (an inning or so). He finally comes back with the cotton candy and I said, "Oh, ya know, I really didn't want any." Insert grinding of teeth....

puglogic
9-1-11, 1:05pm
We have so many of these I wouldn't even try to list them. It makes us get our 20-laughs-a-day quotient every day.

One thing that crops up a lot are lines from Men in Black, such as:

"I hate the living." (said with a big exasperated sigh)
"Oh, you got some entrails on you there."
"And then I (hit finger with hammer, dropped something on foot, whatever)...and....and it hurt, but..."
"What're you talking about, I AM half the man you are."
"Oh, wait, that one was just on final jeopardy last week......."

We also have recurring objects that we hide in sneaky places so the other will find them. One month it was a Derek Jeter baseball card that ended up in his lunchbox, then in my book in place of my bookmark, then in his checkbook, then tucked in my laptop, slipped into the telephone bill, etc. Every time we find it again we laugh out loud.

Silly stuff, but it makes life nice.

Dragline
9-1-11, 1:13pm
We finish each other's sentences. Then we say in unison "The Uni-Mind Has Spoken!"

iris lily
9-1-11, 9:44pm
These are funny, I'm enjoying them!

herbgeek
9-2-11, 7:06am
When one of us is very insistent on something being done a particular way, the other will quote from "Rainman" : definitely not <whatever the thing is>, definitely not. Dad lets me drive the car on Sunday".

There's also quoting from "Princess Bride", Monty Python, and occasionally Seinfeld. And when I bump into my husband or appear frantic, he makes Curly noises (from the 3 Stooges).

daisy
9-2-11, 9:06am
DH and I speak for the animals. For instance, if Arlo the weenie dog is licking DH's face, I'll use my Arlo voice to announce, "I found some cat poop in the yard!" The sad part is that we answer back and the conversations can go on for a while! ;)

iris lily
9-2-11, 9:36am
When one of us is very insistent on something being done a particular way, the other will quote from "Rainman" : definitely not <whatever the thing is>, definitely not. Dad lets me drive the car on Sunday".

There's also quoting from "Princess Bride", Monty Python, and occasionally Seinfeld. And when I bump into my husband or appear frantic, he makes Curly noises (from the 3 Stooges).

We've invoked Rainman for peculiar insistance, too.

We also make up fantasy lives for our pets. We ascribe interests and possessions to them that they don't really have.

Kathy WI
9-2-11, 11:32am
When I make something good for dinner, my husband will immitate an old dorky commercial and say, "Great meal, honey!" and I respond by saying, "And, only pennies per serving!" in an overly animated voice.

When we are driving and we see a really odd or wretched-looking person, one of us will say, "There's your buddy!"

puglogic
9-2-11, 11:39am
When we are driving and we see a really odd or wretched-looking person, one of us will say, "There's your buddy!"

Yep, that's a common one too. Usually it's something like, "Oh, honey, why's your sister wearing that?" or "Who did your brother's hair?" (though they are complete strangers)
We also play the Finger Hole Game (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Finger-Hole-Game/376922336192?sk=info) a lot.

babr
9-2-11, 2:27pm
we have two stuffed animals; well the small bear; called pink bear and then we got this sea turtle from my mom; so its name is green turtle

well we blame things on them; give them the riot act for not doing their share; and they get to vote in family decisions:)

babr
9-2-11, 2:30pm
oh and their spot on the bed is between us; they don't take up much space; green turtle actually has tried to escape several times; by jumping behind the bed and to the floor; never makes it far; lol

nice thread; makes me smile just thinking of them; they are part of our small family; a family of four!

JaneV2.0
9-2-11, 3:00pm
We have the talking inanimate objects (some of whom speak tourist-level Spanish) and a lot of other nonsense going on; we often have telephone conversations composed largely of inane drivel. Works for us. Life without laughter and playfulness hardly seems worth the effort from where I sit.

iris lily
9-2-11, 8:02pm
Yep, that's a common one too. Usually it's something like, "Oh, honey, why's your sister wearing that?" or "Who did your brother's hair?" (though they are complete strangers)
We also play the Finger Hole Game (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Finger-Hole-Game/376922336192?sk=info) a lot.

We do that too only they are "your cousin." Some years ago we had sporadic collect calls from a prisoner in Potosi, MO who we didn't know (he was calling our phone number, not us.) DH would chirp "Your cousin called today!" I learned to say it first, but then he turned it back on me by saying "Yes, that's my cousin-by-marriage."

Pug, try the "by-marriage" line on your SO.

mermaid
9-2-11, 9:54pm
We have two stuffed animals on the bed too, a lion and a clown fish. We make them talk, dance, sometimes kiss each other or the other person good night. Sometimes they get put in compromising positions. :|(

we have two stuffed animals; well the small bear; called pink bear and then we got this sea turtle from my mom; so its name is green turtle

well we blame things on them; give them the riot act for not doing their share; and they get to vote in family decisions:)

KayLR
9-2-11, 10:57pm
We do that too only they are "your cousin." Some years ago we had sporadic collect calls from a prisoner in Potosi, MO who we didn't know (he was calling our phone number, not us.) DH would chirp "Your cousin called today!" I learned to say it first, but then he turned it back on me by saying "Yes, that's my cousin-by-marriage."

Pug, try the "by-marriage" line on your SO.

That reminds me of my DH---when we used to get sales calls on the phone. If they asked for me by name he'd say, "Oh, I'd get her for ya, but she's doin' a nickel upstate."

babr
9-3-11, 7:29am
oh how funny mermaid; the compromising positions! thanks for the laugh; green turtle and pink bear will not pair up; i am not even sure how pink bear; she; feels about green turtle; shes the feisty one; green turtle doesn't say a whole lot; and i also love the spanish; too funny will have to tell dh about this; he needs a laugh as he is down with a cold; poor guy; but "we" will give him lots of tlc

babr
9-3-11, 7:30am
oh the prisoner calling what a hoot!

lhamo
9-3-11, 8:06am
This is more of a family joke, which just started recently, but I think it is pretty funny. My son and I were on a walk a couple of weeks ago when he complained to me that sometimes his dad will answer with a totally unrelated statement when he asks him something. The example my son gave was when he asks if he can play games on the computer and my husband will say something back like "Eat a banana." I tried to explain to my son that this was his dads way of redirecting the topic, and then encouraged him to speak with his dad about it if it bothered him. Well, he did decide to do this, but did it at the dinner table when most of the family was having a group meal, including his two cousins! He did it in a pretty funny way, and now "eat a banana" has become kind of a family inside joke.

Loses something in the retelling, I guess. But if you ever see a family out and about break into peals of laughter at the suggestion they eat some bananas, you'll know it is us!

lhamo

Mrs-M
9-3-11, 5:00pm
Lovin' all these! Lots of fun.

larknm
9-3-11, 5:51pm
We used to have a feral cat that I fed before he got used to us--I fed him at the end of our long yard and DH, a man of few questions, assumed he was a rabbit because of unusually long ears. We named him Mr. Rabbit. He was very attached to me and DH was jealous. When we left NY for NM, we left Mr. Rabbit with the man next door, who was also very attached to him.

Since then it has been our scenario that Mr. Rabbit (aka The Rab) is DH's best friend and that I hate this because Mr. R is always talking DH out of our mortgage, money, is a hypocritcal best friend to dishonest politicians here and abroad, etc. A rascal. This has been going on for 9 years.

rosarugosa
9-3-11, 10:43pm
This could be TMI, but DH and I shower together every day (and wonder why everyone else doesn't). We wash each others' backs of course, and describe in great detail what we are washing off: dirt, bird droppings, barnacles, zebra mussels, fungus gnats . . .
Some folks might find this silly, but it is deadly serious. Show me a couple that can't do some good silliness together, and I'll show you a couple for whom we need not pick out a good silver anniversary gift. Laughing together is the best thing ever!

cdttmm
9-4-11, 9:39am
My partner and I often have lengthy discussions about what our cats are doing while we are away. The most common activity that we suspect them of is throwing a rave at the house where all of the chipmunks, squirrels, and other creatures that inhabit our property are invited. The raves typically include my in-laws cat who has traveled from NYC to be the guest DJ. If our dogs are also at home, one or more of them is acting as the bouncer at the door to keep all the riff-raff out. These all night raves explain why our cats are so tired and must sleep most of the day. Also, we will never catch them in the act as they have a secret network of spies who report on our whereabouts and video surveillance at various points along our driving route so that we can never arrive home unannounced.

JaneV2.0
9-4-11, 2:15pm
"Show me a couple that can't do some good silliness together, and I'll show you a couple for whom we need not pick out a good silver anniversary gift. Laughing together is the best thing ever! "

Perfectly put!

frugal-one
9-4-11, 5:28pm
When driving or walking if we see a wild animal (aka rabbit, etc) we say "GAME DRIVE" in reference to our many trips.

razz
9-4-11, 5:57pm
Did anyone else see the movie years ago about a couple in Hawaii who had had signals to communicate? The thumb and little finger are straight and the other three curled into the hand. One will wiggle this hand to ask, "are you OK?" and the answer is a wiggle back, "yes" or thumb down "no" or thumbs up " really great!". Makes life very easy when one is busy mowing or gardening etc., and the other goes by, it is easy to tell if help is needed. We use this system all the time.

rosarugosa
9-4-11, 7:41pm
cdttmm: I think our cats do this too! It explains a lot!