PDA

View Full Version : 5 weeks and five days left!!!!!

gimmethesimplelife
9-8-11, 2:06am
I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel of my stressful and bizarre job here at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Granted, seasonal work is going to have some drama involved with it - but ths year turnover is approaching 300% by management's numbers - though I don't see how that can be as I and a few others are still standing and surviving. Never have I seen such incompetence and such turnover and such bizarre decision making in my life - a case in point is that someone on parole is in charge of lost and found (????), and this person just charmed her way into asst manager of the front desk - after 1/2 the season's lost and found items were discovered stolen and she with the only key. This is just one example to give a basic idea.....I could go on and on but will spare everyone that. Just so glad that this season is almost over!!!!! Rob

fidgiegirl
9-8-11, 8:08am
I'm glad for you, Rob! Keep on keepin' on!

jania
9-8-11, 10:00am
I know it is hard to work in a crazy atmosphere, but you'll make it Rob and while you're at it you will be enjoying the incredible change into fall at the canyon. How are your plans coming for post-rim life? I hope you've got something more in tune with your lifestyle desires and happiness coming next.

jennipurrr
9-8-11, 10:49am
Sounds like its been a crazy season. I know you will make it through the countdown and move on to something else just as interesting :)

gimmethesimplelife
9-8-11, 12:23pm
I know it is hard to work in a crazy atmosphere, but you'll make it Rob and while you're at it you will be enjoying the incredible change into fall at the canyon. How are your plans coming for post-rim life? I hope you've got something more in tune with your lifestyle desires and happiness coming next.Jania, thank you for your kind words and good wishes! The season is already starting to change a bit as we just had a cold front move through and the nights are starting to get nippy and soon the leaves will start changing and that I am looking forward to, to see the apsens all golden. After this I am looking at a little bit of travel and then helping a (hoarder) friend of our family with late stage Parkinson's get his hoard gone so his house can be sold, and then working on reducing my things, too. And DEFINITELY school next fall! The rest I will fill in as I go along......Rob

saguaro
9-8-11, 4:18pm
Wow, seems like you have a lot of interesting work stories to tell! Sorry to hear that it's so stressful and crazy. Hopefully being at the GC gives you the opportunity to do things on your time off to help ease the stress....like hiking and even just comtemplating the scenery.

If I recall correctly, you have done a couple of seasons there, so obviously you do well enough on the job to get called back. But....it sounds like this year has been particularly difficult and it sort of puts you into being a victim of your own success. You do well, get called back for another season and deal with one more round of the stress and crazyness.

Hang in there!

KayLR
9-9-11, 12:19pm
Rob, even though it's been stressful, ya know, I always kind of think of you with a bit of envy working in such an awesome setting. I must have missed your saying what you intend to study next fall. You have a very interesting life, I think. It epitomizes a journey to me.