PDA

View Full Version : San Fransisco Food Stamp Challenge

Fawn
9-11-11, 8:45am
I am participating in the San Fransisco Food Stamp Challenge

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=RQJlKxiyD%2F%2BEDDR7GxHqy%2Fv8YpF1kv6k

which runs from 9/11/11 through 9/17/11. Please join in!

You can follow my posts about it from my blog (see link at bottom) or through the link above--look for the bloggers listed on the right.

jennipurrr
9-26-11, 10:12am
I am a little late, but I was inspired by your blog. Food spending has been the one area where I can go off the wagon too easily. Thanks for sharing!

happystuff
9-27-11, 7:12am
Looked through the link quickly and couldn't find it... how much per week is the Food Stamp challenge? I ask because in my area, folks on food stamps get WAY more than my grocery budget - $60-$70 per week for family of four.

Marianne
9-27-11, 7:43am
Found it - $4.72 a day.
Uh, that's more than what we're spending now and we eat pretty well. But we all know how food prices vary.

Happystuff, how much do you budget?

cdttmm
9-27-11, 7:45am
Fawn, just read through the entries in your blog about the food stamp challenge. Go you! Definitely an inspiration.

happystuff
9-29-11, 7:45am
Found it - $4.72 a day.
Uh, that's more than what we're spending now and we eat pretty well. But we all know how food prices vary.

Happystuff, how much do you budget?

I probably didn't write my post clearly - sorry. My budget is $60 - $70 per week for family of four. Usually $60, but will go up to $70 if there is a sale that I'm stocking up on.

Is that $4.72 per day per person?

loosechickens
9-29-11, 2:25pm
$70 per week for four people is $10 per day, divided by four people, it's $2.50 per day per person

Fawn
9-29-11, 4:20pm
happy stuff--

We spent $4.23/perspn/day eating meat (some organic) 4 nights of the 7.

The challenge was for $4.72 per person per day.

It is really not that hard to do, we have been eating this way for years. >8)

happystuff
9-30-11, 7:10am
$70 per week for four people is $10 per day, divided by four people, it's $2.50 per day per person

While I knew that our grocery budget was less than food stamps (in general), I simply never sat down to do the actual math. We have been doing this for so many years now that it is "normal". Part of me is proud of being able to stick to our budget, but another part of me... well, it's ironic how things work out sometimes.

Fawn
9-30-11, 8:23pm
While I knew that our grocery budget was less than food stamps (in general), I simply never sat down to do the actual math. We have been doing this for so many years now that it is "normal". Part of me is proud of being able to stick to our budget, but another part of me... well, it's ironic how things work out sometimes.

happystuff--

how about a week's worth of sample menus?

Please, and thank you. :)

happystuff
10-2-11, 10:02am
I haven't written out menus in a long, long time - lol. I basically have some standard meals and then whatever is on sale or I have stocked. Veggies and/or salad are at every meal. Some regulars for our family include:

Spaghetti - with or without meatballs added to the sauce if I have them (I make our mini-meatballs, bake them and freeze them into meal-size portions. Usually 4 pounds of ground turkey at a time).

Homemade pizza is at least once a week. Sourdough crust from my own starter.

From scratch rice-a-roni - recipe from the Tightwad Gazette with ground turkey added and a side veggie.

Spaghetti pie

quiche

meat and cabbage pie

"Brupper" - breakfast for supper (usually when eggs from Aldi's are on sale very cheap)

stir-fried rice - usually made with leftovers and ham ends from the grocery store deli

crock pot soups & stews - potatoes, carrots and whatever meat is on sale.

bbq - usually chicken or ground meat and usually in sandwiches or over rice/pasta

Swedish meatballs or sweet and sour meatballs - usually over rice/pasta.

sweet & sour lentils - usually over rice

Lo Mein - homemade usually using spaghetti noodles

Shepard's Pie

one of the kids' favorites is homemade macaroni & cheese (using a parmesan cheese base) with sliced hot dogs and peas. Yeah, yeah...doesn't sound as good as it actually is, and the kids love it! :-)

If you haven't guessed by now, I do a lot of casseroles, crock-pot soups & stews, and one-pot meals. I also go through several phases of bean dishes, although they aren't the kids' favorites.

Breakfast is either cereal bought on sale or batch cooked & frozen pancakes, waffles and muffins.

Lunches for school are sandwiches(usually homemade bread) or pb&j muffins, a piece of fruit or cut veggies and a "dessert" piece. With water or homemade lemonade.

One thing I will say for my family - they allow me to experiement a lot!

Again, this is just the list of stuff off the top of my head.

Marianne
10-2-11, 3:26pm
Good variety! We like fritatta's (frittatas? Never can remember), as we have hens and plenty of eggs. I usually make Italian or Mexican once a week, lots of stir fry using a bag of frozen veggies, ramen noodles and one piece of whatever meat I have. It's a good way to get a lot of mileage from leftovers.
I always called myself the casserole queen when the kids were home.

Fawn
10-3-11, 7:51am
Ah, thanks happystuff.

You confirm my experience. It's not that hard to eat on a food stamp budget or less, if you are paying attention and know how to cook.

Blackdog Lin
10-3-11, 9:28am
happystuff: May I get your recipe for meat and cabbage pie? Cabbage is usually insanely cheap in my area, and I've been experimenting the last year trying to find new ways to use it. (Our favorite so far is cabbage lasagne.) Meat and cabbage pie sounds right up DH's alley! Thanks.

happystuff
10-4-11, 7:27am
happystuff: May I get your recipe for meat and cabbage pie? Cabbage is usually insanely cheap in my area, and I've been experimenting the last year trying to find new ways to use it. (Our favorite so far is cabbage lasagne.) Meat and cabbage pie sounds right up DH's alley! Thanks.

It's actually quite a versatile recipe in that you can add whatever you want. I don't even remember the original, just how I make it now.

Shred a medium size head of cabbage. Shred 1-2 medium-to-large carrots. In a somewhat large pot, melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter and add shredded veggies. Cover and simmer on stovetop - stirring occasionally. When veggies are about 1/2 done, I add 1 pound of pre-cooked ground turkey. It is also at this time that I add a good bit of minced garlic, salt and any other desired seasonings. Mix well and continue to let cook down until veggies are soft. In the meantime, make a double crust. (I use an oil crust recipe). Roll out the bottom crust and lay in large pie pan. Spoon meat and cabbage mixture into pan on top of crust. I press the mixture down so that it is compact/firm. Add the top crust and bake in 350 oven for about 30 minutes or until crust is golden.

I believe the original recipe did not have the carrots, but did have chopped onions.

I dehydrate cabbage for long-term storage and have successfully made this recipe with cabbage that has been dried and then reconstituted.