PDA

View Full Version : Low Priced High Speed Internet for Low Income Families

jennipurrr
9-21-11, 11:43am
I thought some might be able to use this or forward along. It is through Comcast and is available nationwide where they have coverage.

Any family with at least one child who qualifies for the free lunch program at public schools can subscribe to a low-speed (1.5Mbps) Comcast Internet connection for $9.95 a month. Comcast guarantees that it won't raise the price and offers the plan without equipment rental or activation fees. Subscribers also cannot have "an overdue Comcast bill or unreturned equipment," and they can't have had Comcast Internet in the last 90 days.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/09/comcasts-launches-999-internet-for-low-income-families.ars

Marianne
9-22-11, 7:19am
I think that's great! It will help a lot of low income families.

bekkilyn
9-22-11, 9:44am
It's a good first step, but what about low income couples and singles without children? They are families too.

mtnlaurel
9-22-11, 10:11am
There is always the library too. When I have been unable to afford internet connection I have used libraries across the country with moderate success. Often a pain, but totally doable.
Also during a stint of unemployment I had access to the internet through local unemployment office.

Internet is not a human necessity.
What a great program jennipurr, thanks for sharing.

Anne Lee
9-23-11, 8:09am
I think the reason they focus on children is that a lot of assignments are given with the expectation that the child has ready access to the internet. I know that phone companies have programs for low income people. It's good to see this as well.