PDA

View Full Version : Pasta dinners

kally
9-26-11, 8:12pm
Every fall, winter and spring the community pasta dinner starts up. It is every Monday and here is what we get

Pasta with veggie sauce or meat sauce
Garlic bread
Green salad
Tea or coffee
Cake or cookies is someone has donated that

All for $2 a person or $5 a family. We rarely miss them.
How lucky we are.
Any community dinners in your neighbourhood?

iris lily
9-26-11, 9:35pm
Yes, the Methodist Church here in our neighborhood has Turkey dinner in November and Corned beef (ick!) dinner in March. One year there was a pasta dinner where the youth of the church ran an Italian restaurant for one night, it was cute. The fish for lent church dinners are pretty spectacular and run for several weeks during the Lent season. This is a very Catholic town.

The annual dinners are about $5 - $6.

Marianne
9-26-11, 9:53pm
The little burg of 97 people by our home host an annual pancake feed every Feb. Tickets are $2 each for all the pancakes you can eat. Eggs, sausage, orange juice, etc are extra. They usually have a turnout of 200 people or more.

treehugger
9-27-11, 12:24pm
There are lots of "crab feeds," spaghetti dinners, ribs and chicken meals, etc. throughout the year around here, but they are all fund raisers for schools and churches and other community groups, and therefore are quite expensive. I've seen them advertised, but never gone.

Kara

puglogic
9-28-11, 10:03am
I'd love to build up a community potluck in our new neighborhood. Maybe twice a year, outdoors when possible. The paid dinners are nice (we have a couple of pancake affairs and at least one spaghetti feed) but I think it would build community more to slowly build up a group of neighbors who got together just to enjoy one another's company, taste what they grew that year, etc. It's on my evil agenda for my new neighborhood ;)

Gardenarian
9-28-11, 4:17pm
We also go to the occasional spaghetti dinner or pancake breakfast (always seems to be a high carb fest!) But they are not great deals - we go to support the causes we believe in.