PDA

View Full Version : What to do with pears?

frugal-one
9-29-11, 5:36pm
Help ... a neighbor gave me 1/2 bushel of pears. I have a batch in the dehydrator now making leather (fruit roll ups) and made a batch of canned pears. What else would you make with fresh pears? Is pear sauce any good? This seems almost too much of a good thing.:help:

frugal-one
9-29-11, 5:41pm
I found this... but it sure doesn't trip my trigger.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/fruits-and-vegetables/fruits/pears/top.aspx

IshbelRobertson
9-29-11, 6:38pm
It makes a great crumble dish! (Is that what Americans call cobbler, I muse?)

Pears in chocolate sauce?

Pear compote?

Pears in red wine?

Poached pears?

goldensmom
9-29-11, 6:59pm
Fresh pear pie and pear sauce. Fresh pear pie is wonderful and pear sauce is like apple sauce only better.

frugal-one
9-29-11, 7:14pm
Thanks for the ideas!! Also came across pear bread and pear tart. I will be baking up a storm!

Mrs. Hermit
9-29-11, 7:32pm
+1 on the pear butter. It is delicious, and can be canned or frozen.

catherine
9-29-11, 7:46pm
My DH grills them with nutmeg and they're delicious!

KayLR
9-29-11, 7:56pm
We have been picking up the neighbor's windfalls and making batches of pear chutney to give away at Christmas. They'd just rot on the ground and attract yellowjackets if we didn't! ;-)

razz
9-29-11, 8:56pm
With our pears, I simmer them peeled, cored and wedged in a very light sugar and lemon solution and then freeze them to use in fruit salads in winter.

Merski
9-29-11, 9:13pm
Pear chutney!

peggy
9-30-11, 8:46am
pear sauce, warm, with about a tablespoon of cream, or yogurt. Yum!

frugal-one
9-30-11, 4:14pm
I looked up pear chutney however I do not know what you do with it??? Please explain. Thanks.

Merski
9-30-11, 4:28pm
Pear chutney is sweet and savory and goes great with curries. Also can be used on meat or cheese sandwiches as a spread...think cranberry sauce is great on a turkey sandwich. You could also pour some on top of cream cheese to spread on crackers as an appetizer..

kally
9-30-11, 4:40pm
I use a juicer and then freeze the juice. Later on I turn it into pear syrup, which is a fabulous item, great for gifts, pancakes, ice cream etc.

frugal-one
9-30-11, 4:42pm
Thanks Merski for the explanation. Didn't realize there were so many things that can be done with pears. Really cool!

rose
9-30-11, 6:35pm
pear sauce sounds great. i made pear and blueberry crisp. very good.

thinkgreen
10-1-11, 2:08am
I second the pear syrup. I have used the recipe on usapears.com for several years and it makes a beautiful syrup. You will never find it in a store and I prefer it to real maple syrup. We use ice wine bottles to make it fancy and it makes a lovely gift.

mira
10-1-11, 9:06am
They also go very nicely in liquidised soups containing things like pumpkin, sweet potato, etc.

frugal-one
10-1-11, 1:35pm
I checked out usapears.com..... wow.... many more ideas. So far canned pears, pear leather and pear/apple leather and now making pear sauce in crockpot to can. That the end of the pears!! I can use the canned pears for some of the other suggestions given here. Thanks so much!