PDA

View Full Version : Frugal adventures in Ann Arbor?

mara61
10-2-11, 4:17pm
I'm always hunting for things to do with my boys on their off days or as a family. Low cost or free is always best on the wallet, but I am always open to doing things that might cost a little bit of money. I'm trying to plan a fun weekend in Ann Arbor in a few weeks and am looking for low cost things to do. My boys like museums, libraries, shows, etc...we are always open to new adventures. We have gone to the Children's Hands on Museum and the Natural History Museum at the U of M. Any more suggestions? I've looked online, but have a feeling I am not finding the "right" website. I did find the "Robot" shop that I want to take them to. My plan is for the weekend of 22/23rd. We might stay overnight, we might not. If my Husband wants to go, we will do Saturday. If not, then on Friday.

I'm also interested in places to eat that are not necessarily chain and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks!
Tracy

sunnyjoe
10-2-11, 8:48pm
The botanic garden is great for exploring and running around http://www.lsa.umich.edu/mbg/ If the weather is bad the conservatory is still warm and dry. There's the Leslie Science Center http://lesliesnc.org/ Would they like to see the UM Marching band practice? You could catch them on a Friday afternoon (they practice at 4:45). Practice is out in the open, families watch all the time--even picnic there.

For food, there's Zingermans of course. Not frugal at all but kind of an Ann Arbor must do. The Farmer's Market is on Saturday mornings very near Zingermans so you could explore the market and then grab sandwiches. Our best bets with our kids are The Broken Egg or the Cloverleaf. Both breakfast/diner places, not fancy. Oh and the Cupcake Station is right across from the Robot store you mentioned. Divine cupcakes. Our girls favorite place (they usually split one).

There's no football game that weekend so you'll be spared that craziness and traffic.

Anyway, a rambling list. Have fun! I can answer questions if you'd like.

Selah
10-3-11, 9:03am
I grew up in Ann Arbor and am +1 to everything sunnyjoe has said. The U of M art museum is good, and the Michigan Theatre has been restored to its original glory, which is worth seeing. The U of M also has about a million student film clubs that offer films in university buildings at very low prices...they are often independent films, foreign films, or just oldies-but-goodies. I guess you could go to the online version of The Ann Arbor News for listings. They also used to have a monthly free guide called The Ann Arbor Observer with all the information, but I'm not sure if they still have it going...I left Ann Arbor in 1984!

The U of M music school is always running free student concerts, as is the dance department. Ann Arbor really was a cultural hotbed and a great place to grow up! Have fun on your trip!

SiouzQ.
10-3-11, 8:42pm
I work in downtown Ann Arbor and people-watching is the best free entertainment there is! How old are your kids?
P.S. The Observer is still going strong. Try finding it on-line; they have a good monthly events schedule.

mara61
10-4-11, 6:20am
Sigh, I just had something typed up and off it went.

Any who, my son's are 8 and 6. They would have really enjoyed the Chinese Yo Yo people that Azure mentioned, which is one of the reasons aside from cost that I am thinking of Ann Arbor over Chicago. We just need a mini trip or a fun day trip.:) One son is high energy, but sit's just fine for shows or speakers. My other son, is laid back but gets antsy.

We actually went to the Frederick Meijer Gardens and it was probably the low point of our visit to Grand Rapids. I thought the boys would have really liked the meat eating plants, but they could have cared less. Some of it may have had to do with my husband being with us, he walks REALLY fast so it's hard to get into something. I am not sure if he is coming or not on this trip. It's either going to be a Saturday to Sunday trip with him or just a day trip on Friday for the boys and I. So I am really working up two separate agendas.

Thanks for everyones replys!

sunnyjoe
10-7-11, 8:33am
A2 is in the New York times this morning. More ideas here: http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/travel/36-hours-in-ann-arbor-mich.html?src=dayp

mara61
10-10-11, 6:15am
Just logged in to check this post. Way to busy this weekend with a soccer tournament for my oldest and fall camping. ACK!! TOO BUSY!

babr
10-10-11, 3:33pm
Hi to all the Michigan people here; its surprising when you find out that yes there are other simple living folks in our great but struggling state