PDA

View Full Version : More Reasons to Buy Local

Jemima
10-2-11, 7:18pm
Apparently the long routes taken to get food to us and the middlemen in between greatly increase the risks of food contamination:

http://news.yahoo.com/long-road-farm-fork-worsens-food-outbreaks-090306716.html

jp1
10-5-11, 9:40pm
Just got back from picking up this week's CSA box and am about to prepare a nice salad for dinner. Almost everything in tonight's dinner was picked/harvested over the last few days and traveled roughly 80 miles today on one truck from farm to my plate. It seems like every week I read another article that makes me glad that we get such a big part of our groceries this way. And at only $21/week I feel like it's a great bargain too.

Jemima
10-5-11, 9:56pm
Just got back from picking up this week's CSA box and am about to prepare a nice salad for dinner. Almost everything in tonight's dinner was picked/harvested over the last few days and traveled roughly 80 miles today on one truck from farm to my plate. It seems like every week I read another article that makes me glad that we get such a big part of our groceries this way. And at only $21/week I feel like it's a great bargain too.

I don't belong to a CSA, but I've given myself a pat on the back several times this summer for growing some of my own food. Not only do I know that it's organically grown and pesticide free, I find gardening very relaxing and neighbors have offered compliments on how interesting it's been for them to watch my veggies grow.

Zoebird
10-6-11, 3:27am
we dont' belong to a CSA either, but we get our fruits/veggies from an organic box delivery, and everything is local (except fair trade, organic bananas). it's $80 per week, but that's a good price in NZ. :D

granola19
10-6-11, 11:38pm
We joined a CSA this year although I am going to try (again) to garden most of our food next year. But since I am a poor gardener, the CSA has been fantastic. It's local, organic, forces me to eat with the seasons AND to get creative with meals to work with what we have. I love it!