PDA

View Full Version : Electric Blanket - Safety

Cypress
10-7-11, 1:18pm
As the colder months are coming on now, I am considering an electric blanket for my bed. I have read from time to time electric blankets are bad for humans as they interfer with our EM fields.

What about just turning this on for an hour before bedtime and making the bed toasty warm? My cats would be deleriously happy I did this, is it safe?

loosechickens
10-7-11, 3:40pm
I wouldn't use an electric blanket myself, but if you are concerned about the health effects, I can't see where it would hurt to turn it on for awhile to get the bed warm, then turning it off and unplugging it when you're actually in the bed. Might affect your electric bill a bit, but.........

CathyA
10-7-11, 4:10pm
I would definitely unplug it, like LC said.
They even say that pregnant women shouldn't use them at all.
I have no idea if the effects of electricity stay around, even when it is turned off and unplugged.
How about an old bed warmer.....the kind you fill with hot coals. haha

JaneV2.0
10-7-11, 4:55pm
They hold no appeal for me, awash as I am in wool and down blankets, layers of quilts and even polypropylene micro-plush. I used to throw a cat or three (not literally) into the mix, http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-animal-009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons.php) but alas...

I wouldn't sleep under one either--too stiff, too hot, too EMFy--but I don't see anything wrong with preheating the bed with electricity, if you like.

rosarugosa
10-7-11, 6:47pm
We have an electric mattress pad, which we love. I think that it might be better than a blanket for prewarming the bed. We've had one for several years now, and we wouldn't be without it. It makes no noticeable difference on our electric bill.

Tweety
10-7-11, 8:08pm
I like the electric mattress pad too. I turn it on when I start getting ready for bed and turn it off when I crawl into the nice warm bed. It's almost time to haul it out of the closet again.

Marianne
10-8-11, 6:39pm
We had an electric mattress pad a long time ago and I loved it. It finally died and we inherited a new electric blanket. I use it, but it's not as nice as the heated pad.
I'm not afraid of either and have it on all night long. I hate being cold.

Simplemind
10-8-11, 8:13pm
I am an electric mattress pad fanatic. Much much better than an electric blanket. I turn it on a few mintues before bed. There is nothing nicer on a cold stormy day than snuggling down on one with a good book and a cup of tea.

Tradd
10-8-11, 9:55pm
An idea for warming your bed...

Take a couple of Nagalene water bottles and fill with really hot water. Make sure they're closed TIGHT! Slip them into your bed and use as folks used to use hot bricks.

Mrs-M
10-10-11, 10:24am
Personally, I fear electric blankets, but I see no harm in you using one to pre-heat your bed.

margerymermaid
10-11-11, 4:40pm
What are the negatives against an electric blanket or mattress pad? I have an electric blanket I put on top of my mattress and then have two sheets on top of the electric blanket. I LOVE it. It is so cozy to get into bed with. And when your a single gal like me and there's no body to warm up against this will do just fine (it doesn't snore either)

jp1
10-11-11, 8:55pm
I've never been concerned about the electric waves of the electric blanket. I used one for years until I got my first cat and was fearful that his kneading of the blanket would get us both electrocuted so I stopped. That was over 10 years ago. Since then I've turned into my mother in that I don't need much covers to keep warm. Even at 65 in the bedroom a light blanket over the topsheet is plenty. On the other side of the bed SO is buried under a heavy down comforter when it gets that cold inside.

Gardenarian
10-12-11, 7:27pm
I had an electric blanket when I lived in Boston and I would not have given it up for ANYTHING! I was so much more comfortable, it made winter actually livable.

Mrs-M
10-13-11, 8:50am
Overlooked mentioning in my last post, that, my main concern/issue over electric blankets, is history of fires.

maribeth
10-14-11, 12:36pm
I like mine. I put it between the duvet and mattress and preheat the bed. Then I unplug it and remove it (it's scratchy, and not that cozy).