PDA

View Full Version : I never learned to ride a bike!

Stacy
10-10-11, 12:10pm
I must confess, I'm 39 years old and I never learned how to ride a bike. I tried when I was a child, but I was too scared and nobody had the patience to stick with me until I got it. Other kids seemed to pick up bike-riding easily, but not me. Sorry to say, I missed out on a lot growing up, as a lot of social activities in my rural area required that we could travel by bike to get to our friends' houses, etc.

Now I'm living in a town where bike-riding is very popular and so many things are within riding distance from my house. I'm tired of driving the 1 1/4 miles to the supermarket. I'd walk, but I'm worried that it would be too hard to carry those bags home that far. I'd really like to learn to ride a bike, but I'm afraid that after all this time, I've built it up as something that's hard to do. Also, falling over might hurt.

Basically, I'm trying to psych myself up to just do it.

Has anyone had to learn to ride a bike as an adult?

Mrs-M
10-10-11, 12:34pm
Originally posted by Stacy.
I tried when I was a child, but I was too scared and nobody had the patience to stick with me until I got it.Awww... This makes me so sad. We learned how to ride a bike on the lawn, so when we fell we had a softer surface to land on. You CAN do it! :) Find a flat/level lawn to learn on. P.S. Anyone can learn, and it's so fun and easy once you get the jest of it! Wish I could teach you! Better yet, I wish you were one of my kids, because I would have never given up on you. Find someone who knows how to ride and go out with them a few times. I'll bet you'll be riding in a couple of hours! I'll bet you! :) Do it!

Stacy
10-10-11, 12:45pm
Mrs-M -Thanks for the words of encouragement. My parents were of the mindset that if they had a big family, the older kids would teach the younger kids stuff like that. It didn't always work out, as you can imagine that my older brother and sister had other things to do with their time.
I want to learn this while the weather is still nice. If I wait until spring, I may lose my motivation again. First things first, I need to actually buy a bike.

Float On
10-10-11, 1:29pm
I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was in my early 30's. I grew up with horses and riding miles and miles with neighboring farm kids. It really isn't very hard to learn but I'd practice a lot before adding a few grocery bags.

Mrs-M
10-10-11, 1:48pm
Stacy. I think it's my nature, I love teaching people how to do things. Always have. Us older kids always taught and helped the younger ones out when we were growing up. So gratifying that was to me.

I'm so excited for you right now! I wish I could be there for you, right by your side to encourage you, and steady you on that bike! As Float On mentioned, a little practice after you get the hang of things, and you'll be ready to transport those groceries! If I may, here's a little advice, invest in one those little wire mesh baskets for your bike to carry groceries. (Don't hang the bags from the handlebars).

P.S. To be perfectly honest, I think learning to ride a bike when one is older would be way easier than when one is younger. As an adult our reflexes and balance and strength is much more advanced than a younger child's.

In my first post I made the suggestion to you to find someone who knows how to ride and go out with them. It's so helpful to have someone steady and hold the bike upright while you seat yourself, then give you a gentle push to get you started. From there, it's all about maintaining your balance and applying a little pedal power! :)

Stacy
10-10-11, 1:49pm
It really isn't very hard to learn but I'd practice a lot before adding a few grocery bags.

If I manage to find a decent used bike while the nice weather holds out, I know of lots of bike trails I can't wait to try out. I'll definitely get some practice before I try to carry things.

Alan
10-10-11, 2:00pm
It's been my experience that you don't learn to ride a bike, the bike will stay up by itself as long as there's energy applied to it. The thing to learn is to trust it to do so.

Mrs-M
10-10-11, 2:06pm
Stacy. Alan makes a great point about balance. In reality, your bike will act like a gyroscope, self-balancing itself under momentum.

Float On
10-10-11, 5:48pm
Just when you have that 'momentum' going don't forget how to apply the brakes gently.

janharker
10-10-11, 8:25pm
Take the pedals off of the bike. Then take the bike to a hard surface that's a little downhill, get on, push off, hold your legs just slightly away from the side of the bike. Let the momentum keep you going (physics in play here) and you can put your feet down whenever you feel you need to without getting hit by the pedals. Then, when you are confident with your balance, put the pedals back on.

Historically speaking, early bicycles didn't have pedals........

junkman
10-12-11, 2:53pm
Stacy,

Some bikes are easier to ride than others. So try different ones. What you should be looking for in a bike is the feeling that you’re in control of the bike, not the other way around. So get someone who knows bikes to size one to fit you. It doesn’t have to be an expensive bike. But it has to fit your body, so that riding it is a pleasure.

Yes, falling over is going to hurt, and that’s going to happen. In fact, count on it happening. No matter how experienced or accomplished a rider is, crashes and wipeouts are going to happen. Therefore, dress appropriately: helmet, gloves, long sleeves, and long pants with cuffs secured. They won’t prevent the bruising that’s going to happen. But they will cut down on some of the road rash, so that you’re washing less gravel out of the wound.

Also, if you intend to do your grocery shopping on a bike, think seriously about how you’re going to carry those groceries home. Some people use bike baskets or panniers. Others use just a day pack. Obviously, no matter what cargo system you use, there is a practical limit on how much can be hauled. Therefore, you’ll find yourself shopping more often, which isn’t a bad thing, especially once you begin to organize your outings so that other errands can be accomplished on the same trip. The net result is that you’re getting out on the bike more often, which means you’re gaining experience, plus getting some exercise, plus saving money from not buying gasoline, plus avoiding one of the chief hassles of a car, finding a parking spot. With a bike, you can roll right up to the front door.

As several people have suggested, the key to riding a bike is ‘balance’, and balance is easier to achieve when there’s sufficient forward momentum. So really, really slow isn’t safe. That’s when falling over happens. What to you want is a nice, steady forward pace where turns and maneuvers can be anticipated and done gracefully. Once that "clicks" for you, which can happen in as little as five minutes, the hard part and the scary part of the learning is over. The rest of the stuff, being truly comfortable on a bike so that moves happen without conscious effort, comes from "time in the saddle".

Suggestion: Even though grass will cushion a fall, it is very hard to learn to ride on. What you want is a huge, flat surface, wider than an ordinary street, with no one else around. Your local grammar school playground with its typically paved surface is the ideal learning place. It's so big that you can learn to pedal figure eights without crashing into anything. Once you can do that, you're ready for the streets as long as you realize that cars and bikes don't mix well and that you have to stay out of their way no matter if you have the right of way or not. So riding on a street is far different that riding on a playground or a bike path, because defensively skills come into play, not just the mechanics of efficiently pedaling a bike.

Charlie

janharker
10-12-11, 7:41pm
All that sounds good, except for the paved playgrounds. Unless it's an old, probably urban, playground, it's not paved. Federal safety guidelines prohibit that. Maybe look for a large parking lot, maybe a manufacturing company that's closed for the weekend?

Sad Eyed Lady
10-12-11, 9:50pm
I hope you go on and pursue this - it is not something undoable. (Is there such a word?). And, if you feel like you are going to fall over, just put your feet down. You can stop yourself. Try not to be too scared. And, while confessing about things we don't know how to do into our adult years, I can't swim. As a young teenager I had an experience where I almost drowned once, and ever since then I have been terrified of water.

pony mom
10-13-11, 12:06am
I learned to ride on our lawn--I felt like the grass held me in balance. It is a bit harder on grass unless it's short and level, but in some ways easier because you have to pedal. Somehow balance is easier to keep if you're pedaling, I think. If you can find a bike to practice on that has coaster brakes, learn on that. Much easier than trying to coordinate handbrakes.

This weekend I spent a few hours on a railtrail in a gorgeous part of NJ. Everytime I ride I always marvel at how we can stay balanced on such a silly looking thing, with narrow tires, up and down hills.

Oh, another thing. Don't think about steering. You don't really turn the handlebars, you sort of just lean. It'll all make sense as you go along.

Good luck and have fun and remember....you'll only have to learn once!!

Kestrel
10-13-11, 10:40am
I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 12 or so, and only rode around one or two summers, then not at all till I was in my early '30s and that was only a couple of years. So I've never had a lot of confidence on a bicycle. So here I am, in my late '60s, and as soon as we can afford it I'm going to get a tricycle. I know there can be many problems with them as well, but I'm doing the research and probably next summer I'll be trying some out.

Selah
10-13-11, 10:45am
Could you get a bike shop to put training wheels on the bike you eventually get? That's how I learned, and boy, training wheels were a very visible motivation symbol to keep working on my skills to get those wheels off! Having training wheels, even for a little bit, could get you used to braking, dealing with traffic, and so on. By the time you get them off, you'll be flying! Good luck to you...you can learn, and nowadays there is better protective gear available which is also affordable.

junkman
10-13-11, 11:58am
All that sounds good, except for the paved playgrounds. Unless it's an old, probably urban, playground, it's not paved. Federal safety guidelines prohibit that. Maybe look for a large parking lot, maybe a manufacturing company that's closed for the weekend?

Sir,

Paved playgrounds are more plentiful, and more accessible, than the parking lots of manufacturing facilities. Within walking distance of my house, never mind biking distance, there are four expansive, paved, school playgrounds, four grassed public parks, plus some shopping mall parking lots.

But grass is a very gnarly surface to ride on. Even in granny gears, it's tough to make progress, and practicing bike riding in parking lots is asking for trouble.

So my suggestion --and it was just a suggestion that needs to be adapted to the poster's local conditions-- still stands as an excellent way to make a beginning.

Charlie

janharker
10-14-11, 12:55pm
Let's see: 4 playgrounds, 4 public parks, shopping mall lots. Sounds like you live in an urban area. As I said, you might be able to find paved playgrounds in an urban area. And the fact that there are 4 of them tells me that they have been there for many years. Even Federal safety laws can be grandfathered.

reader99
10-14-11, 1:03pm
Bicycles are like sharks, they have to keep moving or die.

junkman
10-16-11, 2:29pm
Let's see: 4 playgrounds, 4 public parks, shopping mall lots. Sounds like you live in an urban area. As I said, you might be able to find paved playgrounds in an urban area. And the fact that there are 4 of them tells me that they have been there for many years. Even Federal safety laws can be grandfathered.

Sir,

Why do you have such an anti-urban prejudice?

But you’re absolutely right. I’m lucky enough to live in one of America’s top bike-friendly cities, in fact, the #2 ranked city, which Bicycling Magazine describes this way:

Innovative programs, from designated bike-only areas at traffic signals to free bike lights, make riding in Portland practical even for new cyclists. http://www.bicycling.com/news/advocacy/2-portland-or

If you look at the photo, you’ll see the Willamette River and what looks like a bike path along its left side. But the fun path to ride is on the right bank, between the three bridges, the Eastbank Esplanade. However, that isn’t a path someone who hasn’t practiced in a paved, grammar school playground should attempt, because of the heavy flow of traffic from walkers, joggers, and other cyclists.

But once basic biking skills have been obtained in those paved urban playgrounds, it’s fun to become a part of that weekend parade along the river, enjoying the afternoon. http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?PropertyID=105&action=ViewPark

jp1
10-16-11, 3:55pm
It's been my experience that you don't learn to ride a bike, the bike will stay up by itself as long as there's energy applied to it. The thing to learn is to trust it to do so.

I think this advice is spot on. I remember when I learned to ride it only took a few tries, basically with my dad shouting "Keep pedaling! Keep pedaling!" as he ran behind me to catch me if I fell.

Stacy
10-17-11, 12:43pm
Wow, look at all the posts. :) Thanks for the great advice, everyone. When I was a child, I was always afraid to go too fast on a bike. It turns out that I would have probably figured it out at that time if I could have gotten past all that nervousness. I managed to find a bike on freecycle. I was just looking for any old bike, but the person was giving away a brand-new bike, with the tags still on. So I lucked out. I still have to get a lock, helmet, and basket.
I live in a small city with many bike trails, and it's surrounded by rural land. So I'm pretty lucky that I have a lot of places to bike. I haven't tried out my bike yet, because the past two days have been very windy, and today I'm home sick from work (probably due to the fact I was outside working in the cold wind yesterday). I live a few blocks away from some lovely riverside parks that have nice wide bike trails, so when I feel better, I'll get over there and practice. Time is not on my side, because winter is approaching, and I'd like to learn this before it gets cold and snowy. I don't intend to ride my bike on the ice.
So, maybe I'll get out there tomorrow, if I'm feeling better!

Mrs-M
10-17-11, 1:52pm
Hi Stacy. I've been thinking of you (daily) ever since you posted this thread. So happy and excited for you I am! Wow! A brand new bike! Way to go on the great find!

Please, please, please (for me), find a nice flat grassy area to learn on. I know I mentioned this earlier on, but it makes for such a better (safer) riding experience when you fall, AND, your brand new bicycle won't get damaged. Yes, learning on grass takes a little extra added oomph from the old legs, but you are still young enough and will have no problem with learning that way.

Sending a get well hug your way this morning. Hope you feel better soon. :)

Stacy
10-17-11, 2:21pm
Mrs-M,
Thank you for your concern. I will give it a try on a grassy lot. There are a few of those around here, not to mention the park itself.

Mrs-M
10-22-11, 1:55pm
Hi Stacy. Still thinking of you and your new bike!!! P.S. Hope you're feeling better.

ctg492
10-24-11, 6:49pm
Just jumped in on this post, Stacy you go you can do it! We are rooting for you!

Stacy
11-2-11, 8:16pm
Well, I've procrastinated too long. It's now the time of year when both of my jobs are getting crazy busy, so that means more hours at work. Also, the days are shorter, so it's dark shortly after I get home from work. And, the weather is cold and rainy, soon to be snowy. So I believe I'll wait until next spring before I try out my bike, unless I get very lucky to have a day off that is half-way decent. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Mrs-M
11-2-11, 10:16pm
Oh, pooh! I was hoping you were all trained up and riding by now. :) Oh well, next year will be time enough. Will help give you something fun and exciting to look forward to when spring arrives. (Wish I lived near you so I could take you out).

MTRachel
11-28-11, 2:22pm
Seriously considering getting rid of my road bike, mountain bike, and townie bike and replacing them all with a "Bike Friday," which is a folding bike that is very comfortable and can meet the needs of all the other bikes without taking up lots of room. It fits in the overhead bin in a plane as well for out of town trips, has a low "bar" to step over so can ride a skirt or get on or off easily. Lots of great options! Hope you start riding soon! :)

Mrs-M
10-13-12, 1:10am
Bump! Have never stopped thinking about you (and your bicycle), Stacy. Do post an update when you can. :)

Tussiemussies
10-13-12, 1:50am
Good luck Stacy, it just takes a few times for your body to adjust to the feeling of it and off you go!

I used to ride my bike to the grocery store. DH bought metal baskets that are quite large, that went over the two back sides of the bike and a front metal basket. This was when our store was not too far away.

I know you'll enjoy yourself on all of those bike trails...