PDA

View Full Version : Neflix: "Oh, never mind."

Florence
10-10-11, 5:12pm
:~)

Float On
10-10-11, 5:46pm
Wasn't that great?!
I did like the SNL skit about netflix that they didn't have time to air 2 weeks ago.
I quickly rewarded netflix today by renewing. We'd been customers since the begining and I told the family we had to make a stand when they announced the split and we cancelled our account. My kids were happy. They love obscure old movies that they just can't get anywhere else.

Marianne
10-10-11, 9:59pm
Now, what?

Once again, please enlighten me.

signed,
Grasshopper

Float On
10-10-11, 10:26pm
They realized the decision to split into Netflix and Quickster (or however it's spelled) was a STUPID idea. Netflix will remain Netflix a simple one stop place for streaming and movies by mail.

Madsen
10-10-11, 10:33pm
lol that CEO is so fired.

Marianne
10-11-11, 10:33am
They realized the decision to split into Netflix and Quickster (or however it's spelled) was a STUPID idea. Netflix will remain Netflix a simple one stop place for streaming and movies by mail.

I suppose the rates still remained higher? When they announced it, we cancelled our subscription. We also have Netflix stock which took a beating (not my department, but I sure heard about it over and over from DH), wonder if people will go back to them now? I haven't decided, but I'm kind of leaning towards not...

treehugger
10-11-11, 11:25am
We've been satisfied customers since 2004, and we haven't dropped them yet. Watching warily, currently. We were certainly not thrilled with a rate hike, but to be fair, they hadn't raised prices in a couple of years, and it's still a better deal than anything else out there (and there isn't really anything comparable to their content, yet).

We have saved approximately $4,000,023.67 by cancelling cable in 2000, so we can afford to stick with Netflix a little longer and see what their next bad decision is. ;)

Kara

Florence
10-11-11, 11:37am
Anybody remember New Coke??!Splat!

Float On
10-11-11, 1:31pm
Anybody remember New Coke??!Splat! When New Coke was announced I had an uncle who bought every case of Coke he could find. Filled an entire 10x12 room! I saw photos! I'm sure some of that stash expired before he could drink it all.

daisy
10-11-11, 2:37pm
I think DH and I were the only ones that were happy about the price changes. We can't do any streaming over our ISP, so our monthly subscription price actually went down. However, when they announced Quickster (sp?) DH said he felt like Netflix was breaking up with him and now feels like he has a difficult ex-girlfriend that can't decide if she wants him or not. ;)

AmeliaJane
10-11-11, 9:20pm
I wasn't all that outraged by the price hike--from what I read, when Netflix got into the streaming business no one was very interested in those rights and they didn't have to pay much. Now that others like Amazon are competing for that same content, the movie studios have figured out they can charge more and Netflix wants to pass that on. It's only about $4 difference for me, due to the plan I was on. But I thought the messaging of it was terrible--very tone-deaf, to be claiming it was better value when most of their customers were looking at paying substantially more for the same service. Especially when a huge part of their market is people in their twenties who have been especially hard-hit by the recession. Then the whole Qwikster thing...I mean, fine, but one of the main arguments as far as I was concerned for staying with Netflix was that it handles both my queues and can move things back and forth (ie, I can find out when something is available on streaming and watch it that way). So if a competitor for either had come along with better prices, there would have been nothing keeping me there. Really, what they need is a much better marketing/PR staff. I mean, who let that stuff out there?

Marianne
10-11-11, 10:08pm
Anybody remember New Coke??!Splat!

Sorry for the thread hijack here. I worked for a food broker for a lot of years. The New Coke was very stratigically planned - They wanted to change the sweetener in original Coke to cheaper ingredients, but it resulted in a slight taste change that would be noticeable. So, the new Coke was to be the sacrificial goat, so to speak. Then they came back out with the 'original' Coke that actually was 'new-ish'. The rats.

Okay, back to Netflix stuff:
Kara, you have saved $4 MILLION??? I had to go count zero's. LOL
Our Netflix bill was going to double, and we had the el cheapo plan, one DVD at a time, streaming anytime. Not that $20 a month would be a huge issue here, it just kind of rankled me at the time.