PDA

View Full Version : inspired and frustrated at work

Zoe Girl
10-14-11, 1:27pm
So i got inspired at this breakfast meeting today. It was for Environmental Learning for Kids (ELK). Totally totally my issue and concern. I have only worked on this with my own kids and a little with Girl Scouts (got immensely frustrated with other leaders who actually wanted to teach our kids to have proper tea party manners). I am so in agreement in the value and benefits of getting kids camping and hiking and even fishing. I could go on so long about what i felt was essential to teach my kids, what they are capable of doing in the outdoors, etc.

Now the frustration, being outside the group and not knowing about it for the 15 years it has been around, having personal experience that makes me an awesome volunteer and having so many times that volunteer position did not lead to a living wage job, and then not knowing my supervisor applied for a grant with them and my supervisor not knowing my expertise in the area.

Looking at this as opportunity instead of a closed door, but a struggle

JaneV2.0
10-14-11, 2:32pm
OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with manners?

Zoe Girl
10-14-11, 10:27pm
There is nothing wrong with manners ! Not at all, and in Girl Scout we did cover that in many of our badges. It was that I wanted some balance with the outdoor things like camping and hiking, and tried to find someone in our area. My co-leader wanted to teach specifically tea party manners and things like how to polish silver and which fork to place where. So it was very specific things that really didn't seem relevant to our girls (we were in the salad bowl of California with many migrant farm families). So I really liked taking them places in the city, seeing things they wouldn't see otherwise, talking about how to act in different situations, etc. We had a special outreach for girls in migrant farm families that moved often and kept them active in girl scout troops wherever they moved.

Okay that was a minor point in just really loving doing the outdoors and teaching the kids about how to act in nature and learn from it.

lhamo
10-15-11, 1:28am
ZG, as you know many grant competitions are annual things, so I would definitely see this as an opportunity rather than a loss. Talk more with your supervisor about your interest and background in this area and let her know you would be thrilled to work on future applications for this or similar grants. YOu can't expect her to know about your backgound in this area unless you discuss it with her. I wouldn't worry about the fact that your experience was volunteer in nature, in case that is bothering you. It is an asset, as is your obvious passion for the topic.

lhamo

jania
10-15-11, 10:26am
Per the frustration mentioned in the opening post. Don't be down on yourself for not knowing about an organization, be excited you have finally heard about it. Be sure to share with your supervisor about your experience and interest. Remember, not all volunteer positions lead to paying jobs, none of mine ever did but I was involved anyway because of my passion for the project.

JaneV2.0
10-15-11, 1:22pm
Gotcha--really not a lot of call for silver-polishing these days.

Selah
10-16-11, 8:47am
Silver polishing skills might end up being up there with "bustle maintenance skills," or perhaps "crinoline starching skills"! I remember being surprised yesterday at seeing a woman's slip showing...I can't remember the last time I wore a slip! It's funny, though...remembering back to the Girl Scout badges I worked for and got, I'd love to have an adult version of Girl Scouts and go back and get some more skills! I should see if I could get an updated Girl Scout book. From what I hear, they have managed to keep with the times. They sure still hawk those cookies! :)

iris lily
10-16-11, 2:24pm
Silver polishing skills might end up being up there with "bustle maintenance skills," or perhaps "crinoline starching skills"! I remember being surprised yesterday at seeing a woman's slip showing...I can't remember the last time I wore a slip! It's funny, though...remembering back to the Girl Scout badges I worked for and got, I'd love to have an adult version of Girl Scouts and go back and get some more skills! I should see if I could get an updated Girl Scout book. From what I hear, they have managed to keep with the times. They sure still hawk those cookies! :)

You probably aren't old enough to remember that brief time in the late 80's when a lacy slip showing under a longish skirt was The Fashion.

Anne Lee
10-16-11, 9:54pm
Regionally Colorado is a leader Environmental Education. If you are not already, I strongly suggest you join Colorado Association for Environmental Education, get trained in Project WET (Water Education for Teachers), Project WILD and Project Learning Tree and become familiar with CO's state environmental literacy plan.

Zoe Girl
10-17-11, 10:17am
Thank you (from another Anne with an E). That is very helpful and very much in my interest area. I will look into those as resources and start to check out what is available in training and connections

Zoe Girl
10-17-11, 4:07pm
Today I went in and got a response from my sup about my email regarding this organization. So I got an invite (along with others) to her Rotary group as a suggestion. I think this could be good. I know I hesitate because it is yet one more late night meeting however my kids are getting older and I just have to bite the bullet. So maybe some doors cracked open.

(very good on a day when I am frustrated that there is no money and I want to do things like get a couch that isn't broken or a new mattress for my kid who really needs one)