PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Bauer - satisfaction guarantee - any experience?

cdttmm
10-15-11, 9:35pm
I have an Eddie Bauer messenger bag that I really like. However, the edge of one pocket has come loose rendering the pocket useless and the zipper has broken. I looked on the Eddie Bauer website wondering what their guarantee policy was and, lo and behold, they have a satisfaction guarantee that seems to imply I can have the bag replaced. Here's the thing...they no longer sell this exact bag and, although I'm sure the current versions are very nice, I always hate getting the newer version of something that I love because I'm usually disappointed. So I'm curious, does anyone have experience with their satisfaction guarantee? Do they always replace items instead of repair them? Should I simply see if someone local can repair my bag and pony up the cash for said repairs to keep the bag I like? I no longer have the receipt for the bag as it was purchased years ago (as in 20), but I'm fairly certain I paid ~$60 for it new. The messenger bags they currently have range in price from $60 to $120 so I'm not even sure which bag they would theoretically replace it with.

Of course, if you think I'm being too extremist in my penny pinching to think that a 20 year old bag should be replaced for free, please say so!

iris lily
10-15-11, 9:41pm
I would never take something back that I've used for 20 years. Why is normal wear this company's responsibility?

redfox
10-15-11, 11:58pm
Yes, 20 years is too long to return something. Entropy is inevitable.

Wildflower
10-16-11, 4:39am
20 years is definitely too long. If I were you I would be very pleased the bag held up so well for so long. Have someone repair it for you would be my thought.

cdttmm
10-16-11, 9:22am
Thanks for setting me straight! :|(

I will try to get it repaired locally and, with luck, I'll get another 20 years out of it! :)

Mrs-M
10-16-11, 9:27am
Wise decision Cdttmm! :) Nothing like preserving something worthy of preserving...

Mer05
10-16-11, 2:06pm
Earlier today I was looking into this, because the strap is fraying on my Ideal Purse (thrifted, no brand identifiers). Since the purse is otherwise in good condition and I like it a lot, I'd rather replace the strap than try to hunt down a new purse. Turns out shoe hospitals also deal with leather handbags. I'm not sure of the cost yet, but if your messenger bag is leather, that might be worth a shot.

thinkgreen
10-16-11, 2:31pm
I agree that 20 years is a lifetime in terms of a consumer item. If I were you I would pay to have the bag repaired as well.

That being said, Eddie Bauer does has a wonderful guarantee. I had an EB watch many years ago and it included free lifetime battery replacement. I had it for over 10 years and thought it was remarkable. I would pay for new straps occasionally but any repairs or batteries were taken care of by EB. Eventually the watch died, as they do, so EB told me it was not repairable. Then they refunded my original purchase price. After that period of time! I was so impressed with their service and attitude. Inflation being what it is, the refund was not enough to buy a new watch with but WOW they are unique in how they stand behind their products.

Gardenarian
10-20-11, 6:02pm
Somethings (Zippo lighters, Craftsman tools) are guaranteed for life. If that is the case, feel free to take it back. Why not?