PDA

View Full Version : Designing your own 12x12 Cabin/Cottage

Amaranth
10-30-11, 12:27am
The Twelve by Twelve book started me thinking about designing such a home. What would yours be like? One thing that struck me is that this is slightly smaller than Thoreau's cabin.

Or if you'd prefer, add a bathroom to the living space as well rather than locate toilet and washing facilities separately.

happystuff
10-30-11, 10:28am
I kind of like the idea of the entire space being open (except maybe the bathroom), with a loft over 1/2 to 2/3 of the top for sleeping and/or minimal storage - to be decided when I see how far I'm able to par down my belongings. :-)

Woodstove at one end - probably under the loft end for heat to rise, or will have a wood cook stove for both heat and cooking - again probably under the loft. As many windows as possible with suitable size window ledges for functional use and then shelf/bookcase type storage under each window. The rest of the area I'm pretty open to and would have to see how my "stuff" would fit and how the house situates on property.

Thanks for the question! It's been a while since I've revisited my dream!

Spartana
11-4-11, 4:15pm
I have a 12 x 12 bedroom in my house so often fantasize about how I could live in that room only. Bear in mind I am very much a minimalist though. Open space with a double or queen sized wall bed (Murphy bed) that foled against the wall when not in use, with attached nightstands and overhead cabinets to ceiling for storage, a small loveseat(on casters to roll) against the folded up murphy bed space (using the night stands as end tables), and a built-in floor to ceiling cabinet on the opposite wall for extra storage, to hold a TV, small fridge, microwave, toaster oven, single burner portable electric stove, etc... And maybe a comfy small wing chairs aor recliner and a little fold up side table to use for guests and dining on. The only issue would be with having a bathroom. I would want a toilet, sink and shower so would need to have a very tiny one - like the combo kind they have on boats or RVs. Could fit that in a small space I think. If I didn't need the bathroom - maybe my 12 x 12 room was in a larger house so I coul duse theirs, then I'd have no problem living in a 12 x 12 room with everything I owned and needed.
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=549&d=1320438409 http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=548&d=1320438387 http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=550&d=1320438890

Aqua Blue
11-4-11, 6:36pm
There was a cabin I looked at buying several years ago. It was 490sf. I have often furnished it in my head. It did have a loft with a bed which was included in the 490sf, so it was a little bigger than 12x12. I would love to do a murphy bed. I would either do the one with the sofa built in or the one with the table built in.

Spartana
11-4-11, 7:10pm
There was a cabin I looked at buying several years ago. It was 490sf. I have often furnished it in my head. It did have a loft with a bed which was included in the 490sf, so it was a little bigger than 12x12. I would love to do a murphy bed. I would either do the one with the sofa built in or the one with the table built in.

There is also an electric murphy bed that retracts into the ceiling. Very cool looking.

Up in the local mountains here in SoCal where I use to live, there are tons of small cabins and cottages - many under 500 sf - some around 250 sf. Most are very cute and quaint. Of course being a snow ski and lake resort area in a narrow valley surrounded by Nat forest means that those little cabins are all on small lots tucked right next to each other. Great for me who is a more city girl - bad if you are looking for a remote mountain experience.

herbgeek
11-4-11, 9:46pm
I have this book on compact cabins, and often fantasize about that dream retirement home, but I gotta say, its always bigger than 12 x 12:

http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Cabins-Simple-Cottages-Getaways/dp/1603424628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320457557&sr=8-1

Mrs-M
11-4-11, 11:37pm
Spartana. Your bedroom is spectacular! Wow! I like.

OK, Here's (http://www.hopperdesignllc.com/solarhomes/designs/Cabin%20Getaway%2012x20.php) my cabin, only I've increased the size to 12' x 20'.

Zoebird
11-4-11, 11:49pm
ooh! i would live in that 500 sq ft. I'm pretty sure we live in 500 sq ft or so. It's definitely more than 12x12, but it's a nice size. so cute and cozy.

people keep saying "what about DS's room!?" and I'm like "here's a bed for him. when he's ready. Day bed in the living room. For now, he still sleeps with us. We are cool with that. We love it in fact.

i think that i could live in this cottage forever. Yeah, it needs work. and Yeah, if i could buy the land and reorganize the house (rebuild), i would. Yes, I would. But I don't think i'd do much bigger. I'd probably make the footprint smaller, push the house back a bit from the sidewalk for a bit of a "front yard" and build up to a second floor. keep it around 500-600 sq ft. Seriously, i love a tiny space. :D

but a little more yard -- in the sunny part -- would be great. :D

Mrs-M
11-4-11, 11:57pm
In the design I selected, being able to work with a space that sees eight additional feet, makes all the difference in the world between being able to design a realistic, workable, functional, and comfortable design, as compared to a design that feels cramped, over-worked, and oppressive.

Zoebird
11-5-11, 1:28am
yeah, it's amazing what 8 additional feet can create. :D

jania
11-5-11, 10:32am
This thread has inspired me to read the book and I just got the library's call telling me it's in.

Float On
11-6-11, 5:30pm
Mrs M, loved your little design but for the life of me I can't walk down a spiral staircase. I always trip! We've got a spiral in the condo at Hilton Head and I trip everytime we're there.

Mrs-M
11-7-11, 11:36am
Jania. Do post a followup on the read. That's one book I wouldn't mind going through (picture wise more than anything).

Float On. Spiral staircases are definitely not a favourite of mine. I tend to stoop when ascending thinking I'm going to bang my head on something.

jania
11-9-11, 9:47am
So, I picked up Twelve by Twelve yesterday from the library and am about half way through. This book is wonderful and a nice surprise. I was thinking it was going to be all about the space of a twelve by twelve home....it is so much more than that. It is about finding your place in the world, walking your talk and that's just a quick thought about it so far. Thanks all for the recommendation, it's a book I've been needing to read as I have been feeling so frustrated lately. See, be, do. This book is reinforcing the idea of work on yourself, transform yourself into your ideals, "be the change you wish to see in the world". I look forward to continuing my reading today.

catherine
11-9-11, 1:32pm
Spartana. Your bedroom is spectacular! Wow! I like.

OK, Here's (http://www.hopperdesignllc.com/solarhomes/designs/Cabin%20Getaway%2012x20.php) my cabin, only I've increased the size to 12' x 20'.

LOVE it!!! And I noticed there's a 12 x 12 version on the website: so there you go! Thanks--I'm going to bookmark that site.

Spartana, I also think your BR is awesome! What a great use of space, modern, clean-looking! I know I could definitely live in it. (I once lived in a hotel room for three months with two small children AND my OG cottage was very tiny, so I KNOW I can do the small house thing).

Mrs-M
11-10-11, 12:55pm
Jania. Thanks for the entry review. :) Looking forward to hearing more in the days/weeks to come.

Catherine. Me too! In relation to the 12' x 12" version, see what a difference the 12' x 20' made in opening things up and allowing for more freedom of movement and expression? IMO the additional cost would be more than justified.

Spartana
11-10-11, 3:14pm
Spartana, I also think your BR is awesome! What a great use of space, modern, clean-looking! I know I could definitely live in it. (I once lived in a hotel room for three months with two small children AND my OG cottage was very tiny, so I KNOW I can do the small house thing).

Well it's not really "my" bedroom - just photos from a Murphy Bed site. But if I did live in a one story 12 x 12 room, I'd get something like that across each wall of the room - one side for the bed/clothes storage, the otherside for kitchen/other storage. Then could put a couple of chairs, couch and table in between. Of course having an upper floor like Mrs. M's cute cabin doubles the size so could do more with that. I wouldn't need that much space for myself but could make the upper floor a guest area. All I'd really need is a place to sleep, a place to sit, a small table/desk, a small closet, a microwave and mini fridge, and a small bathroom. A stackable washer and dryer would be nice too!!

Mrs-M
11-11-11, 10:16pm
Oh, you little stinker you, Spartana! :) I thought that was your very own. Gosh was I ever jealous! :~)

Great point about incorporating a stackable washer/dryer. Small spaces definitely require more efficient use of space, but, not to the point of making ones environment feel cramped, cluttered, or heavy.

One needs to figure in the moving of such appliances in relation to cleaning under them, and the moving of and reconfiguring of such additions/furnishings to switch things up from time to time. Too cluttered and space restrained, would equate to a non-manageable/non-workable space.

Zoebird
11-12-11, 5:29am
i love this one (http://www.hopperdesignllc.com/solarhomes/designs/Quinte%20Bay%20Cabin.php) from that site Mrs.M posted. It is 350 sq ft -- two stories, plus has a separate compostable toilet/shower space!

if i want to be ostentatious, i'd have this 904 sq ft one (http://www.hopperdesignllc.com/solarhomes/designs/Solar%20Bungalow.php). :)

jania
11-13-11, 9:05am
Mrs M., I just finished the book last night. I think the theme's I mentioned carried on throughout the whole book, mostly working on one's self to meet the challenges in the world in order to make a more positive world. I think I will re-read it immediately as sometimes I read too fast and miss some good bits. I think the book just gave me some reinforcement about my own ideals and way of living.

Alas, no pictures of the 12 x 12 and I so wanted to read about everyday living in the home year round (which wasn't really the purpose of the book anyway). I began to wonder about all the practical things like doing laundry, dealing with the winter cold, etc. This will give me more things to explore.

My kitchen is 12 x 12 so I'll be giving some thought on how to use such a space for myself. Again, thanks all for the suggestion of this book.

Mrs-M
11-13-11, 5:50pm
Zoebird. I don't know how I missed that design, but wow! It's lovely! But I must confess, for I have a little ostentatious blood in me and fancy the 904 square foot one better! I know- I know, shame on me... http://thmg.photobucket.com/albums/v738/LadyFire/Smileys/th_blush-anim-cl.gif

Jania. Thank you so much for posting an update on the read for me! I know how it is about rereading things. That's how I have to read all the time.

Spartana
11-15-11, 2:09pm
Oh, you little stinker you, Spartana! :) I thought that was your very own. Gosh was I ever jealous! :~)

I AM a little stinker :-)!! I actually have a "much to large for me" 3 bedroom/2 bath home (in the process of selling it) so have tons of room for storage. But one of the bedrooms in completely empty - nothing but curtains on the window! I use the master bedroom as a guest room and it only has a bed, 2 empty night stands, and an empty dresser/armoire (closet is empty too). I use the little front bedroom and have just a bed, 2 night stands (which hold all my undies, pjs, etc...) and a small closet for my clothes - nothing else! A linen cabinet in the hall for towels, etc... Don't need much storage and that wall unit was way too big for me - but nice!

EarthSky
11-15-11, 5:31pm
Enjoying this post, since I recently read Twelve by Twelve, and was also having challenges envisioning the actual space! I'm in 1650 sq ft home w/large yard, with 2 kids, a 3rd (6'4") college kid who is here part of the year, a dog, 10 hamsters (long story....the 'boy' had 9 babies...), hermit crabs, and various other small critters. I am seriously considering downsizing to a condo, or small cabin-type home, but the challenge is: How to do this, when one's kids have all kinds of 'stuff' (keepsakes) that are important to them? I need very little in my space (am even giving away most of my books....), but they love going through their school boxes, etc...

Please -any and all who have radically downsized with children, please share!! :)

happystuff
11-16-11, 7:47am
Please -any and all who have radically downsized with children, please share!! :)

This is such a challenge! And my strategies change constantly - lol. What I have finally come to is telling the kids that anything they want that is personal and private needs to find a place in their own bedroom. They may have things in the communal living areas of the house, but must realize that such items are considered "share-able". Again, this is an on-going thing and *I* am trying to do the same for myself.

Good luck!

EarthSky
11-16-11, 8:45am
That is a great idea, happystuff! I've tried this partially - assigning most things to their bedrooms - but not all, as their keepsakes are in the basement; crafts are in the den, etc. And I love the idea of "if it's in the communal area, it's shareable - as they end up 'borrowing' those things anyway, and then getting into conflicts over them...
Do you ask them to have *everything* they value in their bedrooms? including keepsakes?

EarthSky
11-16-11, 8:47am
@happystuff... Also, how much space, with how many children, are you in now? (if you don't mind sharing). And, are you living in an area that has 4 seasons??

Mrs-M
11-18-11, 1:10am
Spartana. Love that the bedroom you use as a guest suite is entirely empty! IMO that is so inviting. Being able to stowaway ones possessions and things while staying over is grand.

Spartana
11-18-11, 5:36pm
Spartana. Love that the bedroom you use as a guest suite is entirely empty! IMO that is so inviting. Being able to stowaway ones possessions and things while staying over is grand.

It's actually decorated really cute too in a sort of "Nantucket by the Sea" navy blue and white way. Has some nice New England boating pictures and a big wing chair with matching blue and white checkered cutains. Much nicer than "my" bedroom. It has a Calif King-sized bed (whatever that is - a bit bigger than a regular king I guess) and my sister usually stays with me for several days everyother weekend so it's sort of "her" bedroom.

happystuff
11-18-11, 7:10pm
@happystuff... Also, how much space, with how many children, are you in now? (if you don't mind sharing). And, are you living in an area that has 4 seasons??

Don't really know square-footage - but I think the house is too big and filled with too much *stuff*! Yes, we live in the four seasons, however, if this is in reference to storing clothing away by season - we don't do that. It's all in bedrooms and coat closets. Very old house - slate roof with no under-pinning, so attic storage is pretty useless. Stone/cement/dirt basement, so not much down there either. We are now down to 4 people in the household - 2 teens.

Mrs-M
11-27-11, 8:23am
Spartana. Sounds delightful. :)

Aqua Blue
11-29-11, 3:54pm
i love the book, inlaws outlaws and grannie flats. It has lots of cool ideas for small space living with style.

Mrs-M
11-30-11, 12:01am
Aqua Blue. Gosh, that book sounds so familiar.

Stella
11-30-11, 9:58am
EarthSky I am interested in downsizing with children in the house too. I know some people here have done it and I am interested to hear their stories.

We're not downsizing our actual house, but we are about to have five children and three adults in this house, so we are downsizing stuff quite a bit. All of the children old enough to voice an opinion have decided that they want to share a room for a while so we are paring down their stuff.

One thing that helps us is that we don't store clothes in the bedroom. We have a sort of overgrown hallway near the laundry room that functions as a dressing area. We have floor-to-ceiling racks we bought at IKEA with baskets for all of our clothes and linens and two hanging bars, one at adult level and one at kid level. All of the clothes, linens and blankets for the entire family are stored on one wall that only goes out about two feet from the wall. We have a collapsable step stool to reach the top. In a cabin you could do this and pull a curtain over the wall to hide it. You could have another curtain on a track like the old fashioned shower curtains that could create a private space for dressing that disappears when you don't need it.

For our kids' combined room the plan is to have two bunk beds (the new baby won't be in there, just the older four) and give each kid a small shelf near the head of their bed for putting stuff like their water bottle, glasses and other nightstand type things. They will each have a corkboard for putting up whatever they want like photos, drawings, artwork or whatever and each of them will have their birthday bunting, which I made to their specifications, over their bed. They get to decorate their bed with pillows that reflect their personality. Each kid also gets a curtain around their bed that they can pull when they want to be alone. DH is going to install a little light by each of their beds too. That room has two closets. One of them will be a desk and the other will be filled with shelves. Each kid gets a relatively large shelf for their stuff. Whatever stuff they want. I think the bunk bed thing would work well in a cabin situation if you had kids.

We could live in half this amount of space (2500 square feet) if Grandpa's room were soundproofed. :) There are rooms in this house that almost never get used. A 12X12 cabin would be hard to manage with this many people though. I love small, well designed spaces. My older kids do too. They're always daydreaming about how they'd design a small house and watching videos of cleverly designed small spaces on YouTube. It wouldn't surprise me at all if my oldest DD became an architect or interior designer with a focus on small spaces. Hmmm. Maybe that would make a fun homeschool unit for her.

Aqua Blue, thanks for the book tip! I found that on our libraries website.