PDA

View Full Version : Stupid computer question

Spartana
1-13-11, 12:55pm
I am a total computer doofus :~). I have a laptop that i know how to turn on and get online and that's about it. I want to get a scanner and scan all my old photos to put both on cds and send some in e-mails or online. What do I need to be able to do this? I know I need to buy a scanner but the ones I looked at were huge things with printers, copiers, and probably espresso makers included.

So my first question is - can i buy just a scanner without all the other stuff? Do I need special cables to hook it up to my laptop or will those be included with the scanner? Do I need to be online to scan photos (don't have internet access at home)? How exactly is it done? Do I need to get some kind of program to use with the scanner and is there a tutorial to tell me how to do it? I've never even saved a file to my laptop and don't even know how to do that (told you, I'm a doofus!!). I basicly have no idea how you actually do it (i.e. where you save the photos = to a disc or somewhere on your computer or somewhere in cyberspace). :help::help::help::help::help:

Alan
1-13-11, 1:27pm
All you need is a simple flatbed scanner, something along the lines of this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+CanoScan+Flatbed+Color+Image+Scanner+with+Z-Lid+Expansion+Top/1238008.p?id=1218239968234&skuId=1238008&st=scanner&cp=2&lp=1):

All the cables and software you need are included with the scanner, and you do not have to be online to use it. You'll only be moving images from the scanner to the laptop, it's an entirely local operation.

freein05
1-13-11, 1:47pm
To scan your photos is not easy. By that I mean it is very time consuming. Check with some photo shops that do this in your area. It may be less costly and time consuming. They will also do a much better job then most personal scanners do.

shadowmoss
1-13-11, 2:16pm
It might actually be easier and cheaper to just buy a printer/scanner. The insides of a printer, scanner, and copier are all basically the same. My combo was $50. I don't really use it as a printer anymore, just a scanner. Mom didn't use it as a printer or scanner, but she used it as a copier (bought her the same model). Or, taking it to a 3rd party might be the best bet. You could try working a deal with a teenager, buy them the (cheap) scanner/printer and they do the scanning for you?

ljevtich
1-13-11, 2:42pm
All you need is a simple flatbed scanner, something along the lines of this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+CanoScan+Flatbed+Color+Image+Scanner+with+Z-Lid+Expansion+Top/1238008.p?id=1218239968234&skuId=1238008&st=scanner&cp=2&lp=1):

All the cables and software you need are included with the scanner, and you do not have to be online to use it. You'll only be moving images from the scanner to the laptop, it's an entirely local operation.
This Cannon looks good, and it comes with software. It is the software that you use with your computer to digitalize your pictures, and a scanner is the hardware that digitalizes the pictures.

The scanner will come with cables that you use to hook up to your computer.

You do not need to be online. What computer do you use at home? Is it a Mac or a PC? And what is the operating system? I ask because I can help you with the different softwares that might be on your computer already.

It would be a good idea if you knew how to save files, because you will be saving lots of files, and it is always a good idea to know where the file is. I would suggest checking out your community, especially your library to see if there are free classes to learn Windows or Mac systems. Your library might also have a scanner or maybe your local scrapbooking store might have it too. They might even have classes on making changes and doing cool things with the pictures. But before you buy, please check out places that offer classes, as it is better to have the basics down first, then expand.

Have fun! :)

Spartana
1-13-11, 2:42pm
Thanks everyone. Will take a closer look at scanners to see how much they are compared to having it done by a third party (didn't know you could even do that). If it's done by a third party do they give you a disc (cd) with all the photos on it? Can you add more photos from a digital camera to the cd? I don't have a digital camera yet so have no idea how to transfer those photos to a computer either (a future post ;-)). Geeze, guess I should really take a computer class someday. Thanks - Lindi the doofus!

catherine
1-13-11, 2:44pm
I've been thinking of buying a Neat Receipts scanner. Looks very efficient--and if you buy the little travel model it doesn't take much space. Not sure how it does with photos though.

Spartana
1-13-11, 2:47pm
What computer do you use at home? Is it a Mac or a PC? And what is the operating system?

I have a PC - a Compaq with Windows Vista (I think that's the operating system :-)!). It does have a bunch of tutorials that I have never read (if I were a guy, I'd be THAT guy who builds everything (usually back asswards) without looking at the instructions first :-)!) so will check those out. Thanks!

freein05
1-13-11, 3:01pm
Thanks everyone. Will take a closer look at scanners to see how much they are compared to having it done by a third party (didn't know you could even do that). If it's done by a third party do they give you a disc (cd) with all the photos on it? Can you add more photos from a digital camera to the cd? I don't have a digital camera yet so have no idea how to transfer those photos to a computer either (a future post ;-)). Geeze, guess I should really take a computer class someday. Thanks - Lindi the doofus!

I did not know about 3rd parties until a few months ago when a lady opened a shop in our small town. They will make copies to CD print, perfect copies of your photos and make the cd so you can add more photos to them. I use them when I have a photo on an sd card from my digital camera when I want to have a hard copy made. The copies look great. Our family run photo shop is very reasonable. I have done some of photo copying by a scanner and it is very time consuming and not as good as done by a professional. The equipment a professional uses will automatically fix flaws in your photos.

I agree if you do get a scanner get a printer/scanner/copier combination. I got one and I really like it.

H-work
1-13-11, 3:07pm
You need to get a Kirby Vacuum with the Family Document Attachment. Also try the tomato slicer attachment, pretty handy.

I wouldn't buy an all-in-one printer with scanner unless you have a use for a printer. They are cheap but the ink cartridges required are pricy and dry up from non-use. I'd rather have a dedicated scanner for the project.

Hate to tell you this, but you also will want a external USB hard drive to back up the pictures (both ones you scan and future digital ones). If your computer crashes, you don't want to lose all the time you spent scanning nor lose the only copy you have of the digital pictures. You could burn everything to CDs for back up, but a USB hard drive is a lot more reliable and actually easier to use.

Crystal
1-14-11, 3:31pm
Re: scanners -- I agree about the 3-in-1 printer/scanner/copiers -- cartridges are expensive.

I need to do my photos too. I'm thinking of going with a scanner service such as this one:

http://www.scanmyphotos.com/photoscanning.html

(disclaimer: I know nothing about this particular company -- they just came up on a quick google)

While at one time I wouldn't have wanted to trust my precious photos to the mail, they have sat in a box so long now that it's just silly. I'm probably never going to get them into albums. I like it that this company is affordable ($150/box) and has free shipping.

fidgiegirl
1-14-11, 6:32pm
Hate to tell you this, but you also will want a external USB hard drive to back up the pictures (both ones you scan and future digital ones). If your computer crashes, you don't want to lose all the time you spent scanning nor lose the only copy you have of the digital pictures. You could burn everything to CDs for back up, but a USB hard drive is a lot more reliable and actually easier to use.

+1. My friend's PC just died and she is looking at a costly recovery to get her boys' baby pics back. She will pay upwards of $700, it sounds like, or have to be ok with letting those go.

Have you considered simply scanning photos as you need them? Otherwise it is soooooo labor intensive, and kind of for nothing unless you have a real need to have them in digital form. I just detest scanning.

HKPassey
1-14-11, 10:16pm
I did not know about 3rd parties until a few months ago when a lady opened a shop in our small town. They will make copies to CD print, perfect copies of your photos and make the cd so you can add more photos to them. I use them when I have a photo on an sd card from my digital camera when I want to have a hard copy made. The copies look great. Our family run photo shop is very reasonable. I have done some of photo copying by a scanner and it is very time consuming and not as good as done by a professional. The equipment a professional uses will automatically fix flaws in your photos.

I agree if you do get a scanner get a printer/scanner/copier combination. I got one and I really like it.

I use an HP Photosmart all-in-one, and the scans I get are as good as any "budget" professional. It also does killer color copies. It can auto-correct flaws when it scans, but that can at times give you some very funky results. I'd rather scan, then adjust in Photoshop Elements or some such. There are scanners specifically for photos and slides, as well.

ljevtich
1-15-11, 2:32am
Yes, an external hard drive for the photos is a good idea, so is a digital camera and a scanner.

But the first thing before buying more stuff is to get thee to a class. Even Best Buy has classes. You want to know how to do these things first before you buy all the "Stuff". You might even try some of the places by you, they might have really good classes. Get a windows class first, (which should go over file management. Take a class next about photos. There are tons of them out there, as so many people are digitalizing their photos.

Geek Squad sells one-on-one classes (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Geek+Squad%26%23174%3B+-+1-Hour+Basic+Computer+Training/9701313.p?id=1218154722017&skuId=9701313)

Spartana
1-19-11, 12:24pm
Thanks again everyone! I looked at some scanners but all had the printer & fax & Kirby Vac attached so will look some more. But I'll take Laura's advice and get my Lazy-Lindi butt to a computer class asap before I shell out a lot of money on anything. I do like the site Crystal put up and may use something like that since I am near by the place and can deliver my photo's in person. Am going to try scanning a few old Coast Guard pics I have on my sister's scanner (she doesn't know how to use the thing either - just call us the "DOH" sisters :doh:!). So if we don't blow it up then maybe that will work and I can just borrow hers. Will probably be asking for more help soon because most of the stuff you guys posted (USB's, etc...) I have no idea what those are. Can you believe I was an engineer IRL?!
:thankyou:

H-work
1-19-11, 1:30pm
Think of USB as the type of cable you plug things into your computer. Your mouse is probably connected by USB. Same as nearly any printer, digital camera, memory stick, scanner that you'd buy today.

Here's the cable that will plug into your computer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Male_and_Female_USB_Connectors.jpg

And here's the ports on your computer you'd plug the cable into it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB_Front_Port.jpg

(I can't get the pics to show up here, sorry)

Spartana
1-19-11, 2:34pm
Think of USB as the type of cable you plug things into your computer. Your mouse is probably connected by USB. Same as nearly any printer, digital camera, memory stick, scanner that you'd buy today.

Here's the cable that will plug into your computer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Male_and_Female_USB_Connectors.jpg

And here's the ports on your computer you'd plug the cable into it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB_Front_Port.jpg

(I can't get the pics to show up here, sorry)

Thanks!! One of these days I will really have to sit down and figure all this stuff out.