PDA

View Full Version : "New" Car!

Zoebird
11-4-11, 10:31pm
So, we took over possession of our new car today. We paid cash for it -- so there is no debt.

Our main reason for buying it was to travel on weekends to visit friends and do day-trips around our city. Our secondary reason was to go grocery shopping.

Today, we drove it for the first time. We have to relearn how to drive since DH hasn't done it since last December and I haven't done it since we left the US! Likewise, there are different road rules here AND they drive on the other side of the road.

we took the long way around in order to get a feel for the car and being on the other side of the road, and discovered that the city is pretty easy to get around in overall.

Then we went grocery shopping. It was great! We were able to get a week's worth at once, and we noticed that we have actually saved some money this week as compared to last because we were able to really shop without thinking about "can i carry this home?" Essentially, we were limited by what we could carry, which would mean "partial loads" and going out several times, and so on and so forth. Ending up with about $400-425 for a week's worth of food.

Our current bill is $315 with our organic box, and we are canceling the organic box because we did the math and we are paying way more per kilo than if we just get it at the shop, but before, we couldn't carry it all home. So, we figure that will cut the bill down by another $50 or so, to be honest.

Which we can then spend on case. We filled our tank today for $65.

It's a blue, 1994 Honda Accord station wagon that was made in the USA. we got the car seat for the kid in really good and tight, and he was psyched to be going "so fast" in the car. he also insisted on getting a turn driving, and it wasn't until we went down and asked the police officer in town whether or not he was allowed to drive that he would believe us when we told him he was too young. Bob -- the officer -- said "Sorry, kid, but you have to be 18 to drive. How old are you?" and Hawk goes -- get this -- "36!" LOL And I said "yes, a little over 36 MONTHS old." ;) Bob laughed and said, "you have some months to go, then!" Hawk then tried the "but i'm very tall!" which is true, but still no license to drive. :D

Mrs-M
11-4-11, 11:18pm
Congratulations, Zoebird! I still miss our old station wagon for it's easy 'in and out' advantage when loading things in the back. You're going to love it!!! P.S. Your son is a real card! Eek!!! If your son, at 36 months, is "36", does that put people like me in their 40's in the 400's? :laff:

Zoebird
11-4-11, 11:37pm
i think so.

problem is (and it's not a problem) -- the kid is SMART. i think he's quite good at out-smarting us.

And he can identify all kinds of things about people. we were watching "survivor" (i know, terrible. i've never watched it until now, and it's like a guilty pleasure), and not only can he identify the various issues involved "this person struggles with this, ad that person doesn't trust, but is pretending too, and that person is very earnest" and so on, he can call the "plays" before they happen. This last "vote" the two swing votes voted for a person not on the chopping bloc, while the remaining people split the votes 3-2 in favor of one person going that was a "blindside." DS called it in the first 10 minutes of the show. He can also identify how the editing of the film is designed to "trick" You into thinking this is happening, when it's most likely that, and here are the "hints" that show you that.

the fact that he's started to pull out multiplication is kinda creepy. Addition and subtraction -- on his own -- yes. But he totally busted out some multiplication with the police officer. I hadn't even thought of it.

Sometimes, it scares me, to be sure. But, at least I know he's smart and savvy. he really "gets" things.

And in the next minute, runs out into the parking lot with no mind at all -- like any normal 3 yr old.

Tradd
11-4-11, 11:41pm
Zoe, that is utterly hysterical! What was the look on the cop's face when you asked him to tell your son that he couldn't drive!?

iris lily
11-4-11, 11:47pm
I loved our big station wagon, and when it went kaput I wanted a small Ford station wagon but by then there were not making them, and we couldn't wait around to find a used one. :(

Zoebird
11-5-11, 12:40am
He's a very friendly guy, and well aware of Hawk's antics. :) First, hawk was seriously interested in HIS car, and that's how we met him. Then, he found out that this officer rebuilt his favorite "old time car" in our neighborhood -- which is a bright orange muscle car (i cannot remember the make).

So, when we walked into town today, hawk had to tell him about our new car and how we wouldn't let him drive it. And he told him that we said he was too young, but he knew that he could get a drivers license, and in fact already had one, and isn't that right? the police know these things.

It's very cute.

He's super chatty, that kid.

Spartana
11-5-11, 1:23pm
I'd love to get a little station wagon but they are hard to find for a decent price here if you want one new or with low miles as I would need. I've been currently driving a 10 year old Ford Ranger extra cab with a V-6 the last few weeks since my Hyundai Accent sedan died and just can't stand the horride gas mileage I get. Like around 18 mpg or less - YIKES! I was getting close to 40 mpg. I love having the truck as it's super practicle (especially when I put a shell on it) but I do too much driving so will need something else soon.

JaneV2.0
11-5-11, 1:46pm
I would like Hawk, I think. And it's a rare kid I can say that about. He hasn't mentioned a past life, by any chance?

Zoebird
11-5-11, 5:48pm
oh yes. he's identified very clearly his past life, and the one before that.

JaneV2.0
11-5-11, 5:58pm
Wonder why I thought to ask...:cool:

Zoebird
11-6-11, 2:15pm
So, i drove for the first time in about two years yesterday. it came back pretty easily. the only issue is that i'm used to the turn indicator being on the left, not the right of the steering wheel. therefore, i kept turning on my windshield wipers.

On the plus side, navigating city driving was easy, and most drivers here are easy-going. so, no worries on that end. and, i even had to parallel park! did a great job with that, too.

so, feeling good about it overall, and looking forward to the grocery run on Saturday. :D oh, wait, i'm going to Nelson. So i get to fly and DH will get to drive to the store. :D

Zoebird
11-20-11, 2:35pm
so far, $65/mo in gas, and we've spent $38 in parking. I got a deal on the warrant of fitness -- and i need to make the appointment for next week (since it expires in december). It shouldn't cost much.