PDA

View Full Version : Better than meditation...

iris lily
1-13-11, 10:53pm
Every so often I meet a pet who is like an immediate Ommmmmm..........When I first meet them I think: you are my Buddha!

My most favorite cat of all times was my buddha cat. She made me calm just to look at her. She was Perfection. She. Simply. Existed. and exuded contentment as such.

At the moment I've got a bulldog who is a rescue dog. Someone I know adopted her and she comes to stay with us periodically.She is sleeping downstairs right at this moment, this is her last night with us for a 3 day stay, and it is like a secret stash of joy having her down there where I could go kiss her smushy face and enfold her her entire cobby body into my arms if I want to at any time!

Boy I tell you, a little red wine, a visit from Mabeline, and I am on another plane.

Ok over to you.

redfox
1-14-11, 12:20am
What a sweet post... thank you.

Wildflower
1-14-11, 5:30am
Iris lily, I remember you talking about Mabeline on the old forums. So glad you still get to see her! :)

Of all my pets over the years the Pug I have right now is very calming for me. He is so low key and mellow, just wants to hang out with me, sit on my lap and snuggle. Anytime I'm feeling stressed just having him sit on my lap calms me down. He's wonderful for my blood pressure. Now if he could just learn to get along with the new dog he would be perfection.....

herbgeek
1-14-11, 6:41am
When one of my cats senses I'm troubled or have a hard time falling asleep, he'll position himself diagonally across me so that his purring center is right over my chest and the rest of his body curls around my neck and is all warm and cuddly. This is so comforting, that I'm out like a light in a matter of a minute or so.

goldensmom
1-14-11, 7:28am
Oommmmmm....reminds me of Buddah in the 'buddies' movies (Air Buddies, Snow Buddies, Space Buddies, Santa Buddies- yup got 'em all). Better than meditation and often better than medication.

razz
1-14-11, 8:33am
What a nice thread to read first thing in the morning. When I get too serious about life's issues, our scatterbrained foxhound comes and nudges my knee with his nose and wants to play. I have to stop and pay attention giving me a break from life's intense moments.

leslieann
1-14-11, 8:39am
I have thought often that there are many lessons to be learned from my Labs. They are not particularly peaceful but they certainly exist in the moment and with joy. What a nice thread; I also remember reading about Mabeline and her special presence.

Xmac
1-14-11, 10:24am
I've got a cat called India who is very centered and composed. Her sister Skye is not so self controlled. Their names really worked out well.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=174&d=1295021603

goldensmom
1-14-11, 1:17pm
They are not particularly peaceful but they certainly exist in the moment and with joy.

But they look so precious when they are sleeping!!!!!

Merski
1-18-11, 4:07pm
My cat Thelma is my zen cat. She only comes to me and sits in my lap when I'm calm! It's as though she's rewarding me. She just oozes love and sweetness. Her sister Louise is just the opposite, she bites, is in charge at all times, beats the &*^%$& out of her sister but also can have a calm moment and some sweetness....just not enough!

iris lily
1-18-11, 9:11pm
... She just oozes love and sweetness.

I know! It's the "oozing love and sweetness" that is mezmerizing. How do they do it???!!!!! It's not all animals, mind you, it's a select few.

Simplemind
1-19-11, 12:52am
12 years ago I answered an ad for a Sheltie. It was a breeder and she showed me three but they just were not connecting with me. I asked her if she had any more and she said she did but didn't recommend her. I was there with my very active 3yr old. She said the dog was anxious and wouldn't be a good mix with a small child. I asked to see her anyway. What can I say.... our hearts went ZING! She came to me from across the room. She was an outside kenneled dog and looked a total mess. Love is blind.
We rescued each other that day. She became a lovingly groomed inside dog who was as calm as calm could be. She in turn became my closest companion and helped this single mom raise a little boy. I lost her a year ago and still feel it deeply. Her last year I knew it was going to be a hard loss when she went but I had no idea how shattered I would feel.
We have a new dog now but the energy is all over the place and not in a good way. She is my son's dog and matches his kinetic energy. I miss my girl and the calm that she brought to me with her gentle spirit. sigh...........................

Zoe Girl
1-19-11, 11:07pm
I have thought often that there are many lessons to be learned from my Labs. They are not particularly peaceful but they certainly exist in the moment and with joy. What a nice thread; I also remember reading about Mabeline and her special presence.

LOL, my lab shepherd mix is nothing like calm buddha but she is a real calming influence on me. Just to see how 12 times a day she can get that excited about chasing the same squirrels on the same power line is pretty much a lesson in stayin in the moment after all. The cat however, may be a buddha nature and sure is a well of compassion

pony mom
1-22-11, 11:53pm
My horse Zar keeps me grounded. Quite often while we are riding in the fields by the farm, he'll just stop and survey the scene, taking it all in, sniff the air, then move along to another spot. He reminds me to enjoy the view of rolling farmland (quickly disappearing in NJ) and the changes in the land and trees.

There is a farm near my home that has cows. They had dairy cows but now switched to beef. I know that at some point they'll be shipped off and slaughtered so I try not to get attached to them (I named one once :( and now he's gone). But there they are every day, enjoying each other's company, playing with or grooming each other, laying in the sunshine, grazing or just standing around, not knowing or caring about their future.

I adore animals. They're just happy 'being'. No worries or cares. They can teach us so much.