PDA

View Full Version : What does the Dalai Lama teach in a nutshell?

kally
11-13-11, 9:55pm
I don't really know anything about Buddhism or the Dalai Lama, but I would like to learn more. What do you think, can you give me some direction.?

redfox
11-14-11, 1:42am
In all seriousness, the response that came to mind is... Nothing.

lhamo
11-14-11, 3:53am
Have compassion for yourself and others and the world will be a kinder, better place.

Get a couple of his books from the library and see what you think. The more popular titles are very readable. His autobiography is also very nice, and gives you some perspective on how history has played out around him and the Tibetan people. From one perspective, anyway.

lhamo

Zoebird
11-14-11, 4:12am
There are tons of buddhist web sites on line that give nutshells.

but, buddha was once asked what are the most important attributes to have, and he said "compassion and wisdom" and the student asked "and if you can only have one?" and the buddha replied, "then wisdom, because it includes compassion."

happystuff
11-14-11, 7:20am
From his official website:

Welcome to the official website of the Office of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. His Holiness is the spiritual leader of the Tibetan people. He frequently states that his life is guided by three major commitments: the promotion of basic human values or secular ethics in the interest of human happiness, the fostering of inter-religious harmony and the welfare of the Tibetan people, focusing on the survival of their identity, culture and religion.

From attending one of his teachings years ago and reading several of his books and articles, I agree with lhamo that his focus boils down to "compassion".

bae
11-14-11, 12:40pm
Bill & Ted summarized nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7532GXPnO8

chord_ata
11-14-11, 2:19pm
I don't know that he teaches anything. I do believe that he demonstrates a way of living and thinking, but the point is not to emulate those behaviors. Those behaviors are simply a product of what we westerners would call a practice of increasing "self" awareness.

The 'nutshell' is to be aware of the impact that the ever present human desire has on distorting our mental processes out of a useful balance. Over time, with the application of that focused awareness, the impact of that human desire becomes less distorting, and the choices we prefer to make change.

To me, the clearest discussion of this practice, and its possible fruits, that I have found is in "Everday Zen" written by Charlotte "Joko" Beck. This book is written by a westerner, with the current western psychological perspective, to be be read by westerners. Most of the other books I've tried don't have the same explanatory weight, because the writers don't carry the same baggage of western thought.

Zoebird
11-14-11, 5:57pm
aww, bill and ted! that's when i was 12 and fell in lurve with keanu reeves. :D

Xmac
11-15-11, 2:35am
I don't know that he teaches anything. I do believe that he demonstrates a way of living and thinking, but the point is not to emulate those behaviors. Those behaviors are simply a product of what we westerners would call a practice of increasing "self" awareness.

The 'nutshell' is to be aware of the impact that the ever present human desire has on distorting our mental processes out of a useful balance. Over time, with the application of that focused awareness, the impact of that human desire becomes less distorting, and the choices we prefer to make change.

I see what you see in the first paragraph.

I've informally studied Buddhism and what follows is not necessarily Buddhist teaching:

Regarding the 'nutshell' it may be semantics or something else, however
I don't see that desire distorts mental processes. I see that craving/attachment are the result of mental processes. Desire, as I see it, is a spontaneous and natural movement towards experience. There is no inner narration around it; no wanting. Craving, lusting, longing etc., on the other hand, are conditions resulting from attachment to beliefs about experience: Karma. It's all the thinking in between experience. It's the experience of time that is not now.

Increasing awareness, in my experience, is when I increasingly notice what I think/believe and that what I think translates into what I do. This erases Karma. I'm not sure I believe that Karma is just simple action although I'm open to the notion that desire is that at the most subtle levels; a kind of more unconscious Karma if you will.

In the case where there is no craving or attachment to coffee (this example is close to home for me) there may be a desire to try it for the first time. When a judgment arises in the mind like, "this coffee is delicious, amazing, rare, incredible or even awful, disgusting, or gross there is a cognitive commitment that is attraction or repulsion. If it is neutral there is no Karma. The first time I tried cappuccino, I thought, "I've got to have this everyday of my life" and I did for quite a while. But, of course beliefs always run out of gas when they're vying for your attention against other, stronger beliefs.