PDA

View Full Version : Herbs Inside?

catherine
11-18-11, 1:46pm
I confess I'm not a huge gardener, although I aspire to be someday. But what I LOVE to grow are herbs!!! Maybe because I'm mostly vegetarian, I rely on fresh herbs for grain/legume recipes. And it's such a waste to go to the supermarket, buy a bunch that's big enough for the bride to carry down the aisle, and then it goes to waste.

So, I have some herbs that are now pretty much done for the season here in the NE. I'd love to bring them indoors or save them somehow.

Can I grow them indoors? Or should I just dry the ones that are left? I have Italian parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, tarragon, and mint.

herbgeek
11-18-11, 2:05pm
Yes, you can grow perennials indoors, provided you have enough light. That means either a very bright southern exposure or supplemental lighting in New England. Our sun is just so low and the days so short, it can be difficult. I've not had much luck though, the growth is thin and susceptible to diseases and bugs. Also a cool room is probably better to slow down the growth. I had reasonable luck keeping them in the basement on the south side, that is, until I forgot to water them for weeks. ;) Basil and cilantro are annuals, and I'm they don't keep much after flowering. Cilantro is pretty hardy though, I still have mine growing outside (covered by greenhouse film). My cilantro has survived over the winter under cover, and is one of the first herbs I harvest. Parsley is a biennial, so early the second year it sends up a seed stalk. Roaemary and mint are pretty tough, and you'll likely have the best luck with them. Rosemary is susceptible to powdery mildew though and aphids. Keep an eye on it.

Since I don't have much luck with herbs indoors, I have what's left in an unheated greenhouse, covered by garden fabric (Agribon) when it gets really cold. I can probably keep most things alive until about Christmas.

catherine
11-18-11, 2:38pm
Thanks, herbgeek! (I guess I should have known YOU would reply!) Yeah, I may try to extend their life by putting them in my southern-facing living room. We'll see, though, I don't have much of a green thumb for indoor plants.

Jemima
11-18-11, 10:41pm
So, I have some herbs that are now pretty much done for the season here in the NE. I'd love to bring them indoors or save them somehow.

Can I grow them indoors? Or should I just dry the ones that are left? I have Italian parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, tarragon, and mint.

The basil won't make it because it's an annual, so spare yourself the trouble of digging it up. Parsley is a biennial and may start growing again next spring if you leave it in place. I've read that it doesn't take well to transplanting. Mine grew into an impressive mound near a side door and seems to be holding up well despite near-freezing temps at night. It will be interesting to see what happens in the spring.

Other than that, I don't know a lot about growing herbs indoors. My address is in Zone 6 per the seed catalogs and with the cold winters we've had for the past couple of years I doubt that any kind of plant would do well inside with the thermostat at a setting that's comfortable for me (68 to 70 degrees). Most herbs like high humidity and forced hot air heat does them in.

Rosemary
11-19-11, 7:38am
I've brought rosemary inside successfully before. It needs more attention than you might expect - it doesn't like extremely dry inside air, which is what we have in the winter.

Aqua Blue
11-20-11, 10:21am
I have tried unsuccessfully to grow herbs inside in the winter. I am thinking it is because I keep my house at 62 and lower!

catherine
11-20-11, 10:25am
Oh, well. Based on what you guys say, I guess I'll just look forward to new plantings next spring. If my MIL were still alive, I'd put them in her care--she had an amazing green thumb. But my thumb is the kiss of death.

thanks for the info!

ljevtich
11-20-11, 11:56am
I grow rosemary and chives that last throughout the winter, usually bringing them in during the frosts. Of course, they are in pots already, and we live near Las Vegas in the winter. But I have had one of the rosemaries and the chives for over three years now, and I think I have clover now as well.