PDA

View Full Version : What's the alternative?

reader99
11-20-11, 5:43pm
My friend L lives on a less than poverty level income, and I'm living on withdrawals from my IRA and making it last as long as I can. So we've been investigating alternatives to the things people in our culture routinely spend money on. Sometimes how to spend less and sometimes how to spend nothing at all. Some of these may feel a bit extreme to people with a normal income, but please bear with us.

Here are some we're working on, with and without possible answers. Please feel free to add on both answers and questions!

Hair salon - cut your own (L) - grow long and longer (me)

Hair coloring - $3 at WMT - like the color it is ;)

Shampoo - dollar store - use baking soda

Toothpaste - dollar store - use baking soda

Deodorant - dollar store - use baking soda

Q tips - What's the alternative? Dry with thin towel on smallest finger?

Dental floss - What's the alternative? Can it be sanitized and reused? How?

Moisturizer - house brand - safflower oil from grocery store

Facial scrub - baking soda

Paper towels - half-sheet paper towels - Handi-wipes - durable rags

Paper napkins - Handi-wipes - cloth napkins

Toilet paper - bulk purchase - Handi-wipes for #1, wash out and reuse:|( :moon: [toilet paper can be a significant issue for people with a low income. Food stamps don't cover it, but you kind of have to have it. In the olden days you took the Sears catalogue out to the outhouse. Nowadays the catalogue pages are glossy, and flush toilets can't cope with anything but lightweight paper. A man I know of who was seriously injured in the accident that killed his wife is struggling while waiting on his disability settlement. He said that when he gets it he's taking a case of toilet paper to every food bank and food pantry he can find.]

Soda - house brand - tea - water

Bottled water - Brita type filter

Low-dose asprin for heart health - House brand - full dose cut in fourths rrrrr

Multi vitamin - WMT house brand

Fancy cleanser - cheapest cleanser - baking soda, used with a cleaning brush (I don't find it abrasive enough just scrubbed with a rag)

Car - paid for car - motorcycle - 49 cc scooter [vehicle, gasoline and insurance all become less expensive as you go down the scale] - bicycle - city bus - city bus with monthly pass

Cell phone - limited minutes plan - Assurance wireless for folks eligible for food stamps or Medicaid.

Televsion - promotional pricing, limited channels - included in rent or condo fee - no paid service

Books - public library

There's more I'm sure...

Mrs-M
11-20-11, 6:30pm
Nifty topic, Reader99!
Hair salon- finding an out-of-home stylist. (I used to visit a neighbour of mine to have my hair done). Half the price of town salons, close walking distance.
Paper towels/napkins- I use old cloth diapers (rags/wipers), cloth napkins.
Toilet paper- reusable cloth/flannel squares. In our house, us girls do the pee-cloth thing.
Disposable diapers- traditional cloth diapers w/rubber pants/pins. For some apparent reason, mothers today are under the impression that one needs to spend hundreds on cloth diapers. Not so. Having done the traditional/old-fashioned method with my own children, I vote this one as being one of the few true (spend nothing) alternatives/options.
Feminine pads- reusable cloth pads. (Homemade if desired). This is another one of my real life choices. Been doing so for almost 10 years!
Books- secondhand/used. 100% of children's books found in our home are of previously owned origin. (Many of them you'd never know it).
Bottled/filtered water- water/ice equipped refrigerator. (Definitely can be an extra spend item, but IMO, pays off in spades with use).
Store bought baby food- homemade. Everything (including savings) comes by way of this choice/alternative. i.e. Nutrition, cost, etc. The best.

Dhiana
11-20-11, 6:31pm
Good list no matter ones income...

I don't use paper napkins, just washable cloths/towels. Same with paper towels, I had an old flannel sheet I cut up into several sized squares, hemmed the edges down and now I have lots of various sized reusable towels.

I use the same cloths on my Swiffer mop so I never have to buy the wipes.

Moisturizer - Make sure it does NOT contain Mineral Oil. Mineral Oil fools the skin into believing it is already moisturized and slows the production of your own natural skin oils. So then you need to keep buying more moisturizer, etc, etc, etc...Vasaline brands and their generic equivalents have been the cheapest simple moisturizer I've found on the US market.

Love Baking Soda as my facial scrub! So easy to add to whatever face soap I'm using the time..currently I'm using my shampoo as a face soap also. Ran out of my usual face soap when travelling and discovered my shampoo worked just as well. Makes for more convenient travel and ounce for ounce it's cheaper than the generic cetefil lotion I was using :)

I use old toothbrushes as a cleaning brush.

3 parts Baking Soda, 1 part Borax w/a small amount of water to create a paste = oven cleaner.

Vinegar is great to use on windows and as a fabric softener. I hang my clothes out to dry, saves money on electricity. When my towels are about 95% dry I throw them into the dryer for about 10 min so they are fluffy =)

There is some debate about the efficacy of taking a daily multi vitamin...if you are eating healthy otherwise you may be able to eliminate this expense.

Books - It is free to download the Kindle Application to your computer and there are a LOT of free books available. Many libraries are starting to lend books electronically also.

Looking forward to reading more money saving tips from others...

Mrs-M
11-20-11, 6:41pm
Dhiana. Super list!!! I totally forgot about line-drying and using vinegar when laundering.

sweetana3
11-20-11, 7:05pm
Turn thermostat down in winter and up in summer. We have ours set no higher than 65 in winter during day and no lower than 76 during the summer. Use a fan to get the air moving and you will cut costs significantly. Check any energy wasters like non weatherstripped doors and windows. You can roll up a towel for the bottom of a door. (Walmart sweats are $6 a piece and last a good long time. They are our clothing of choice around the house.)

I drink city tap water. We keep it in the refrigerator in a pitcher to get it colder. I dont buy water.

Learn about portion sizes and nutrition. I would say most of us eat too much of the wrong/expensive food.

My mom did without a car except for about once every two weeks. She did all her shopping on that day and that was it. I think a lot of Americans are used to driving around for entertainment or due to a lack of planning.

We did without TV for about 6 years when husband was in college. Totally doable. We read and listened to audio books or the radio.

If you are doing laundry, kitchen towels and rags can substitute for almost any paper product. Note that clothes can be worn more than once before going into the laundry if they are hung up and you do not have a physical or "dirty" job.

Mrs-M
11-20-11, 7:06pm
Re: books, our library puts on a book sale every year, so if the same is available to others, this is yet one more great way to save/purchase.

Fancy store bought baby bibs- a plain old flannel diaper tied/fastened around baby's neck.
Traditional diaper pail- ordinary plain old (large) plastic pail/lidded bucket.
Disposable training pants- old-fashioned waffle knit pants/soakers. Yet one more of those traditional things mothers today seem to have forgotten about. (Waffle knit pants in our house when my kids were training, a staple)!
Baby change table- bathroom counter w/waterproof changing pad. Worked great in our house!
Disposable diapers- alternative to the old-fashioned, diaper service. At the time our first was born (1992), we had a diaper service, however I never used it, but had there been a diaper service available in our area at the time our last two were babies, I would have definitely opted for a few months service in the beginning.

early morning
11-20-11, 7:09pm
cold water washing (unless ill)
limited, cheap washing detergent (I use about 1/3 recommended amount) You DON'T need to see suds on the top!!
OR: make your own
I never used "make your own" feminine pads because I preferred internals - you might check out www.keeper.com/ more cost upfront but cheaper overall! Wish I'd known about it when I could have used it!
cut utilities if not included in rent:
Heating/cooling/electric:
*dress for the weather! No reason you shouldn't wear thermals inside, lol. Blankets and throws for couch-sitting.
*drink plenty of cold fluids when it's hot.
*don't open fridge or freezer if you don't need, shut as quickly as possible, don't put hot food in.
*compact florescents - turn off unused anything! Unplug phantom loads.
Water:
* Pee twice, flush once. ;)
* don't run when brushing!
* commando showers
*spot clean clothing that isn't smelly. Don't wash clean t-shirt because you spilled something on the front 10 minutes after donning it! (something I do frequently- the spilling, I mean:|()

*question everything!

rosarugosa
11-20-11, 7:15pm
Sign up with some online survey sites. I earn $9 - $12 per month from Pinecone Research. It's never going to make me rich, but it would be enough to keep me in toilet paper :)
When you need something, put out the word. A quick look at the decluttering threads will show you that an awful lot of people are getting rid of an awful lot of stuff. Someone might be looking for a home for something you need, and would probably be happy to give it to you.
Online bill pay - saves money on stamps and checks
Compact fluorescent light bulbs
Homemade laundry detergent and cleaning prods - lots of recipes online
Using the least amount of product needed to do an effective job - e.g. shampoo, detergent, etc.

Dhiana
11-20-11, 7:15pm
The fact that Mrs-M's list and my list are so similar shows how universal these tips are. With me living a city life, whether it's in SoCal or in Tokyo 14 floors up or like Mrs. M who is living a small town/rural/boonies(?) life in beautiful BC they work!

razz
11-20-11, 8:32pm
FWIW, I have found that the dollar store shampoo does not do the job anywhere near as well as a small dab of better quality shampoo thinned 50% with water so ultimately cheaper to use good quality like Garnier.

I use the generic 15% diaper zinc oxide ointment for deodorant but only a tiny dab spread under the arms so one container last years.
Cider vinegar for rinsing hair if needed.

Mrs-M
11-20-11, 8:49pm
Awesome lists everybody!!!

Dhiana. You said it better than I ever could. I LOVE the word "universal" when applied to simple/frugal living. Before disposable everything made it's way into the lives and homes of everyday people, the practice of conservation was all in a days work. Reusability was the standard.

You bought/purchased things with intentions of reusing those things over and over again. People didn't have a lot of choice in those days. That's the way it was, because that's all that was available. Everyone did the same. Everyone used the same. It's these two things I know that cause me to long for the good old days (if you don't mind me expressing it that way), and me being as old-fashioned as I am. There's a warmth I get/feel whenever I think about how everyone used to do things exactly the same way (simply/frugally related). So homey.

Today however, whew... different story. I see today's multitude of choices/options as being nothing short of detrimental. (Detrimental to both consumers and our environment). People spending way too much time pondering what they should buy, and what they shouldn't. Thirty- forty years ago, people didn't have that option/problem. In fact, short of buying groceries and necessary staples from week to week, very little in the way of shopping was actually done. Today however, the same can't be said. Nowadays, people shop and use shopping (in general) simply as an excuse to leave the house because they're bored.

Nonetheless, in revisiting "universal", I can't help but think back to my mid/late teen years, when EVERYONE still hung washing outdoors on a clothesline, when EVERYONE still cloth diapered their children, when homemakers (all around) religiously used old rags and cloths for cleaning/wiping (no Swiffers, etc), and when EVERYONE (for the most part) still did their share to conserve, make due, reuse, and tread lightly on our planet. Throwing something away (back then) was a rare event.

And all this (as you say, Dhiana), no matter what walk of life people lived or came from. It was an equal effort by all.

Tradd
11-20-11, 9:09pm
For body lotion, I've found that the Suave is really nice and I can get some fragrance that way.

For prescriptions, Walmart/Target have a large list of generics for $4. Good if you don't have insurance or don't have Rx coverage.

Using a neti pot/sinus rinse bottle can help ward off/deal with colds and sinus trouble.

For gifts, I've found that my photographs of the event are always welcomed and sometimes even requested! I'm a pretty good amateur photographer with a basic point & shoot camera, but I get good shots. I always put my pics up right after the event on an online photo site (Flickr or Picasa) and email the link to the family. They very much appreciate being able to forward the link to those unable to attend. They can also download any snaps they want.

Don't pay for the newspaper. Get your news from radio, TV, online. If you want magazines, read as much as you can online or at the library.

Instead of using limited cell phone minutes on LD calls, actually WRITE a letter! Older folks will especially appreciate this, I bet particularly at the holidays. If they don't need anything, write a nice long letter. Use any paper you like, hand write OR type, stamp is still very cheap @ 44 cents.

Zoebird
11-20-11, 10:54pm
Here are some great alternatives, too.

Castile soap is amazing, and can be used pretty much for everything. It's also very easy to make (http://frugalkiwi.co.nz/2009/10/lye-ability-making-castile-soap/). Castile soap can be used to clean body, hair, and home. It can be used for laundry (shred it up, add some borax or baking soda and vinegar to the wash -- gorgeously clean clothes, and soft too). It is simply the best-est soap evah! With baking soda and vinegar (for hair and home), it is awesome. :D

Coconut oil -- you can cook with it, use it on your hair as a conditioner, put it directly on your skin as an awesome moisturizer (also helps prevent sun screen over time. It's also a great mouth wash for oil pulling, and makes your teeth stronger and whiter. And, it comes in lovely glass jars. If you buy it at an asian market, it's usually a great price, and the jars are fabulous for any bulk goods you buy. I also use it to store left overs and as my "tupper ware" -- it's awesome. :) Also, good for my fermented goods, and so on. :D

I use cloth toilet paper wipes.

I recommend Elimination Communication as an alternative to diapers (or simply allows one to use fewer diapers, cloth or otherwise).

There are so many cool ways to be frugal!

Tradd
11-20-11, 11:01pm
Zoebird, oil pulling?

Zoebird
11-20-11, 11:32pm
yes, it's longer mouth-washing.

before you eat or drink in the am, you get up and rinse your mouth with water. Then, you put about 1-2 tsp of coconut oil in your mouth and chew it until it goes watery and then keep swishing it around for about 15-20 minutes. "suck" it between teeth and pull it around and around and around for the whole time.

then, you spit it out and rinse your mouth with salt water (sea salt and water -- just a sprinkle of the salt in the water, really) -- so it's gargle and since with the salt-water. then, brush your teeth per normal. I use an ayurvedic tooth paste (vicco), and some indian shops have it in a powder form as well. I prefer the paste, and in the US, it cost $2.50 per tube, so pretty inexpensive. And great for oral health.

oil pulling is a traditional ayurvedic practice for oral hygiene (used to be sesame oil was commonly used, and coconut oil secondarily; i prefer coconut oil myself). it predates flossing, and many note that it functions quite similar to flossing, and could be a viable alternative. I haven't experimented with this myself (i floss each night, oil pull in the AM, brush at both times). it also strengthens and whitens teeth, keeps the bacterial flora in the appropriate balance, and has many claims regarding detoxification and help with many symptoms (but no "science" behind it except ayurveda).

it's easy, really. i do it while i'm in the shower in the am, so the time goes quickly.

Mrs-M
11-21-11, 8:21am
Early Morning. Re: posting your entry prematurely, your fingers were just too quick for your brain! :)

Store bought canned goods- home-canned.
Gas/electric powered lawn mower- manual push reel mower.

sweetana3
11-21-11, 8:53am
One of my favorite frugal tips is the pump dispenser bottle for shampoo and body wash or any liquid soap or commonly used item.

It provides a measured amount and reduces the pouring effect of bottle use in the shower. I have been using the same two pump bottles for probably 10 years and refill with product on sale. I use the Suave brand (I swear it is the same as the more expensive Prell shampoo) and the same scent. I watch for sales and always have a small store on hand to refill the bottles with.

I also have pumps by each sink and refill from a huge generic bottle of refill product. Again, some of these are 10+ years old.

A small suggestion but over time saves money. ps: all the pump bottles came with other product and I cleaned them for reuse.

sweetana3
11-21-11, 8:59am
We pay online for almost every bill. Husband calculated that each payment made by mail cost us at least 45-50 cents with stamp and envelope plus printing checks (and the time to reconcile checks). It does not take much to be real money. The plus side is the review of accounts more frequently online. I dont like auto pay but do like individual payment.

My mominlaw needed a winter coat. I got her a selection of 5 at the thrift store (had to do since she is over 600 mile away) for $20 and she loves them. She thought she would go to Walmart and pay retail but this was much cheaper. It would be the first place I would go. My coat right now is a garage sale purchase for $5 and I love it.

Selah
11-21-11, 9:18am
All of these practices are good and I follow many of the same ones. One thing that has helped me enormously in times of financial strain (as well as financial comfort) is meditation. It is free, uses no electricity, and is great for quieting the mind, releasing anxiety, and releasing feelings of deprivation that can crop up when facing circumstances of scarcity. It can also foster feelings of gratitude for whatever it is we do have already, and shore up hope for facing this present moment.

Zoebird
11-22-11, 1:27am
another aspect, btw, of "home-canned goods" and "manual law mower" is -- turning your lawn into gardens so there's less to mow, and you can "land share" it with people who don't have land, and they get a portion of the foods as well. Oh yes, it is awesome. :D You build community, grow more food (that you can put by), and you don't have to mow!

Packratona!
11-22-11, 8:29am
I LIKE THIS LIST; THE WAYS I CURRENTLY SAVE ON THESE ITEMS ARE IN CAPITAL LETTERS AT END OF EACH LINE

Hair salon - cut your own (L) - grow long and longer (me) COSMETOLOGY SCHOOL, $2

Hair coloring - $3 at WMT - like the color it is http://www.simplelivingforum.net/images/smilies/744%5B1%5D.gif COSMETOLOGY SCHOOL, $6

Shampoo - dollar store - use baking soda FREE AFTER REBATE OR EXTRA BUCKS ETC.

Toothpaste - dollar store - use baking soda FREE AFTER REBATE OR EXTRA BUCKS ETC.

Deodorant - dollar store - use baking soda FREE AFTER REBATE OR EXTRA BUCKS ETC.

Q tips - What's the alternative? Dry with thin towel on smallest finger? DOLLAR STORE, SALE,COUPONS

Dental floss - What's the alternative? Can it be sanitized and reused? How? FREE AFTER REBATE OR EXTRA BUCKS ETC.

Moisturizer - house brand - safflower oil from grocery store FREE AFTER REBATE OR EXTRA BUCKS ETC.

Facial scrub - baking soda SOAP AND WATER AND WASHCLOTH

Paper towels - half-sheet paper towels - Handi-wipes - durable rags NEWSPAPER (ESPECIALLY FOR WINDOWS) PAPER GROCERY BAGS (GREAT FOR DRAINING FRIED FOODS) AND KITCHEN TOWELS AND OLD BATH TOWELS.

Paper napkins - Handi-wipes - cloth napkins BUY ON SALE, DOLLAR STORE ETC.

Toilet paper - bulk purchase - Handi-wipes for #1, wash out and reusehttp://www.simplelivingforum.net/images/smilies/sEm_blush3%5B1%5D.gif http://www.simplelivingforum.net/images/smilies/8862%5B1%5D.gif [toilet paper can be a significant issue for people with a low income. Food stamps don't cover it, but you kind of have to have it. In the olden days you took the Sears catalogue out to the outhouse. Nowadays the catalogue pages are glossy, and flush toilets can't cope with anything but lightweight paper. A man I know of who was seriously injured in the accident that killed his wife is struggling while waiting on his disability settlement. He said that when he gets it he's taking a case of toilet paper to every food bank and food pantry he can find.] BULK PURCHASE, USE COUPONS AND COMBINE WITH SALES. ALSO CAN USE PUBLIC RESTROOMS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE TO CUT DOWN ON COSTS, WHEN YOU ARE OUT ANYWAY (PUBLIC LIBRARY, GROCERY STORE, FAST FOOD PLACES, ETC.)

Soda - house brand - tea - water DON'T DRINK IT IS BAD FOR YOU. DRINK TEA OR WATER. DILUTE FRUIT JUICES.

Bottled water - Brita type filter TAP WATER. WE ALREADY PAY MONEY FOR CLEAN TAP WATER THROUGH OUR TAXES ETC.

Low-dose asprin for heart health - House brand - full dose cut in fourths rrrrr FREE AFTER EXTRA CARE BUCKS AND COUPONS ETC.

Multi vitamin - WMT house brand DON'T USE, PRETTY WORTHLESS READ STUDIES ON THIS, WASTE OF MONEY JUST EAT RIGHT.

Fancy cleanser - cheapest cleanser - baking soda, used with a cleaning brush (I don't find it abrasive enough just scrubbed with a rag) SOAP AND WATER (I AM PARTIAL TO IVORY SOAP)

Car - paid for car - motorcycle - 49 cc scooter [vehicle, gasoline and insurance all become less expensive as you go down the scale] - bicycle - city bus - city bus with monthly pass WALK, CARPOOL

Cell phone - limited minutes plan - Assurance wireless for folks eligible for food stamps or Medicaid. TRAK PHONE

Televsion - promotional pricing, limited channels - included in rent or condo fee - no paid service NO CABLE

Books - public library ORDER ONLINE, INTERLIBRARY LOAN FOR BOOKS NOT AVAILABLE IN LOCAL LIBRARY SYSTEM

Marianne
11-22-11, 9:05am
Everyone else has listed all the things I do (plus more).

Instead of Q tips, you can buy a bamboo ear cleaning tool - http://www.amazon.com/Oriental-Bamboo-Cleaning-Spoon-Q-tip/dp/B001DL7EKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321970161&sr=8-2 . Since DH had swimmer's ear, keeping the ear canal dry is the main reason we use regular cotton swabs. Growing up, my mom had us take a bit of tissue and wrap it around the end of a bobby pin for an old fashioned swab.

You could buy a spool of white quilting thread to use for dental floss replacement. It's much heavier than regular cotton thread. You would need to cut it with scissors or the cutting edge of your floss applicator. But it'd give you yards and yards of unwaxed 'floss' for a couple of dollars.
Or, see if you can get by with a shorter length of dental floss. I suppose you could also rinse floss and store it in a little cup with a bit of Listerine (or something similar - would peroxide work, I wonder?) to sanitize it before the next use.

reader99
11-22-11, 9:29am
I do have to say that there are people who need a mulit vitamin no matter how well they eat. I have intestinal malabsorbtion and could never in the world eat enough food for my body to end up with enough nutrients.

Likewise I filter my water because the chlorine residue in city water will make my intestines worse.

I had forgotten about the free after rebate thing. Is that Walgreens that does that every month?

reader99
11-22-11, 10:13am
Will Ivory soap clean the bathtub?

Mighty Frugal
11-22-11, 12:38pm
RE: dental floss. The stuff is pretty cheap. You can get about 2 miles of it for a few bucks-I wouldn't ever try to reuse this-not only for the 'ick factor' (which is HUGE:sick:) but I am sure you wouldn't be able to sanitize it properly. No sense in smearing old bacteria between your teeth.

Cleansers-I use the no-name brand of Cetaphil. For a scrub I add baking soda

Cleaners-I use a mix of vinegar and water for virtually everything. For scrubbing I use a baking soda/water paste. For wood furniture I use half a squeeze lemon with 3 tablespoons of olive oil (heat in microwave for 10 seconds)

No dryer sheets

No scented anything-those plug in oils or candles or sprays, open a window for that 'clean outdoor scent':~)

We use old cut up cotton t shirts for rags-no paper products

Toilet paper-I can't give this up. And I need the good stuff. So we always stock up when it's on sale (best deal was 10 cents a roll)

One of our biggest money savers is we have pretty much given up on restaurants. We rarely go out to eat and no longer find it a 'treat'. The service is too slow and the food too unhealthy....and we are such homebodies anyway. Nothing sweeter than having us all at home (dh and 2 sons) and either watching TV, playing a game, while munching on snacks-yum

flowerseverywhere
11-22-11, 2:09pm
get a copy of "the tightwad gazette" at your library for numerous money saving ideas. While at the library read magazines and newspapers and cancel your subscriptions. Get all the books out available that deal with frugality and moneysaving. while there check out some cookbooks and learn to bake your own bread, make bean soups and other vegetarian dishes. So the first substitution is using the library.

keep track of every penny you spend. Look at phone, internet etc. service. Is it necessary or wise to keep? A pre-pay phone for emergencies can last for a year for about $100. Always be on the lookout for a cheaper deal.

get off the gift giving bandwagon with everybody. Way in advance advise people that gift giving and receiving is no longer on the agenda. You can be very nice about it, and expect some backlash but it really helps.

car pool. walk. bike. If you have to drive carefully plan your trips to reduce mileage.

check craigslist or freecycle if you need anything. Tell your friends and neighbors what you are on the lookout for, someone might give it to you.

check what the churches in your area have. One has monthly rummage sales where you can get clothes very cheaply and donate something you don't use. Two of ours have great food banks. You could offer to volunteer or help out in some way. One church distributes day old panera bread for free once a week.

read the following websites for ideas (at the library if you don't have internet access)

for cheap food preparation

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/one-in-seven-americans-on-food-stamps-stretch-your-dollar-at-the-grocery

for moneysaving ideas

http://www.stretcher.com/index.cfm

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/06/meet-mr-money-mustache/

http://www.frugalmom.net/blog/

http://www.clarkhoward.com/

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/ (for early retirees, however they have lots of great info on frugality)

ljevtich
11-23-11, 3:22am
One of the things I would suggest you do is think outside of the box. Everyone has great suggestions on how to save money, where to look for saving that money too.

But I would suggest even more extreme than what you are stated. Most of the things you have on your list are personal care. So when you said

Some of these may feel a bit extreme to people with a normal income, but please bear with us. I do not think they are extreme enough!

Hair care, sure go long, and if you and your friend are living together or are trying to be frugal together, I would suggest buying some sharp scissors and learning to cut each others hair. Several how-to videos can be seen at the library or You-Tube that you can watch for free. Do not buy anything other than the scissors, it is not needed.

Shampoo: we use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. It works for shampoo, toothpaste, (if you get the peppermint kind, because it tastes better), soap, laundry detergent, and as a cleaning agent. You cut it in half and it goes a long way. No real suds so you'd have to get used to that.

If you are going to job interviews, then I guess using hair coloring is important to look younger, but if you are not, don't need. Therefore do not buy.

I'd also suggest that unless you are doing physical work and getting really dirty, why shower every day? Get some wet wipes or sponges and do that every other day. Do you need to wash your hair every day?

Why, if you are showering every day do you need deodorant? I'd forget about it, as most deodorants have aluminum and is quite bad for you.

Why do you need a q-tip? Clean out your ears with (ok, I can not for the life of me remember what it is called but it is like a small sized turkey baster.) Squirt warm water in your ears, water and wax come out. No need for q-tips, and it is better for the environment.

Dental Floss can not be re-used. Don't do it! Instead get a re-usable flosser handle and string up the floss that way. Then only use one side, and move it to use as little of the floss as possible. If I can find the link I will put it in the next post.

If you have really dry skin, I guess having moisturizer is necessary. I have dry skin in certain areas, but I only put it on those areas. I use something that I got as a gift, but even mayo can work. A small dab will do you.

Do you need facial scrub? If you are that oily, then you wouldn't need moisturizer, or if you are that dry, you would not need a facial scrub. Or you could put soap on a wash cloth.

Paper Towels - rethink why you need them. Use sponges, dish cloths, re-useable wash rags, or cook differently. Rip off only a small piece, not the entire sheet.

You should not get paper napkins. You can find cloth ones in thrift stores all the time.

TP - this is a hard one for many people. They are so used to using wads of TP. I would suggest first getting used to using much less. Sheryl Crow says she uses one square! Do you think you could get down to that? It would certainly make the TP go a long way.

I don't drink soda or fruit juices. They are empty calories, drink water or tea. And the water comes out of a tap. If it is really bad, you might see if there are alternatives in your area that are free.

Try to get yourself healthy so that you do not need aspirin to keep your heart healthy. Because aspirin with ultimately mess with your stomach.

Make sure that the multi-vitamin does not have the bad stuff in it, like preservatives and other things. Some people are tolerant of iron, others not so good. Make sure you find one that is good for you. Or take specific supplements if you are deficient.

My scooter is actually 125 cc, had to get a motorcycle license for it. While that cost a bit, the 90 miles to the gallon is quite nice, but I only have a gallon and a half tank. However, work is only 3 miles away. If you do not have a job, walking is the best way to go, great exercise, no gym needed. If you have to get to a job, however, bus, train, or carpooling are great ways to go too.

Forget the cell phone. You do not need it, unless it is the only phone. Then get rid of the land line. Net10 has phones that are ~$15 a month, no contract. Try and get better than that, they might have emergency plans. Then don't use or use as little as possible.

Instead, get Skype. Use at the library, on their internet. $10 goes a LONG way (that is the initial price for using it - I think it is for like 2000 minutes.)

Get rid of the TV. It is a mind drainer.

Do you have a computer (I did not see it on the list, but you must if you are on these forums, unless you are going to the library to use their computers?) Get rid of the internet at home and only use the library's or other wifi spots that are free. But whatever you do, do not buy anything for the use of the internet.

Use your computer to watch a movie or show. Like I said, the TV is not needed and is a drainer of your time.

Use the library for your supply of books, newspapers, magazines, internet, bathrooms, and entertainment. It is also an excellent way to find other resources in your area.

Other things:
Do not buy new, buy clothes at thrift stores. It is cheaper for sure, and you know that it already had one owner, and it has not yet worn out.
You can also buy shoes, purses, wallets, belts, scarves, coats, jackets, and DARE I SAY IT: underwear and other stuff there. Usually they are new, I believe most thrift do not sell used underwear.

Make a price book for food. Find the foods that you eat all the time, write them down, and go to the grocery stores to find that food. Write down the price. You'll start to figure out who has the best prices on certain types of food. Keep the price book (or list) with you all the time, just in case. That way, if you see a sale price, look in your book to see if it really is a good deal.

Also look into your heating and cooling of the place. Are you on electric or gas for heating? How much does it run you and can you do things to make it cheaper?

Can you work with your friend to get bulk purchases (like splitting up the bulk buy of TP :) ) or other stuff that comes in large quantities.

I also would suggest the neti pot, great for keeping you healthy during flu season. Keeps you hydrated in an often neglected area of the body.

Hope that helps.

Mrs-M
11-23-11, 7:29am
Love everyone's lists!!!

Marianne. The bobby pin technique must have been a popular oldie back in the day, because mom occasionally did that with us, too.

Mrs-M
11-23-11, 7:32am
Originally posted by Ljevtich.
Sheryl Crow says she uses one square! Do you think you could get down to that?Unless one passes dry nuggets like an ungulate, I simply do not see how (for the life of me) anyone could get by using a single square! :)

Mrs-M
11-23-11, 7:39am
another aspect, btw, of "home-canned goods" and "manual law mower" is -- turning your lawn into gardens so there's less to mow, and you can "land share" it with people who don't have land, and they get a portion of the foods as well. Oh yes, it is awesome. :D You build community, grow more food (that you can put by), and you don't have to mow!Marvelous alternatives. :)

reader99
11-23-11, 11:41am
One of the things I would suggest you do is think outside of the box. Everyone has great suggestions on how to save money, where to look for saving that money too.

But I would suggest even more extreme than what you are stated. Most of the things you have on your list are personal care. So when you said
I do not think they are extreme enough!

Hair care, sure go long, and if you and your friend are living together or are trying to be frugal together, I would suggest buying some sharp scissors and learning to cut each others hair. Several how-to videos can be seen at the library or You-Tube that you can watch for free. Do not buy anything other than the scissors, it is not needed.

L and her roommate cut each other's hair. I just don't cut mine

Shampoo: we use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. It works for shampoo, toothpaste, (if you get the peppermint kind, because it tastes better), soap, laundry detergent, and as a cleaning agent. You cut it in half and it goes a long way. No real suds so you'd have to get used to that.

I suspect baking soda is less expensive than any commercial soap. L might like Dr Bronner's. I'm sensitive to the ingredients in any commercial product, so I stick with baking soda

If you are going to job interviews, then I guess using hair coloring is important to look younger, but if you are not, don't need. Therefore do not buy.

L is dating, and only 51. She is happier with hair the color it used to be, esp at $3 a month

I'd also suggest that unless you are doing physical work and getting really dirty, why shower every day? Get some wet wipes or sponges and do that every other day. Do you need to wash your hair every day?

Who said I wash my hair every day? With baking soda, twice a week has become what it needs

Why, if you are showering every day do you need deodorant? I'd forget about it, as most deodorants have aluminum and is quite bad for you.

Who said I shower every day? And yes, I can take a shower, be active, and stink within a short time. Baking soda as deodorant uses 1/4 tsp, very inexpensive

Why do you need a q-tip? Clean out your ears with (ok, I can not for the life of me remember what it is called but it is like a small sized turkey baster.) Squirt warm water in your ears, water and wax come out. No need for q-tips, and it is better for the environment.

What I use a Q-tip for is to get rid of that weird feeling from the ear canal being wet. Theoretically I could just live with it until it dries.

Dental Floss can not be re-used. Don't do it! Instead get a re-usable flosser handle and string up the floss that way. Then only use one side, and move it to use as little of the floss as possible. If I can find the link I will put it in the next post.

If you have really dry skin, I guess having moisturizer is necessary. I have dry skin in certain areas, but I only put it on those areas. I use something that I got as a gift, but even mayo can work. A small dab will do you.

Do you need facial scrub? If you are that oily, then you wouldn't need moisturizer, or if you are that dry, you would not need a facial scrub. Or you could put soap on a wash cloth.

Facial scrub for me is not about oil, but about the build up of dead skin cells, which don't sough off as readily now that I'm in my 50s. My lower legs dry and flake even when I moisturize daily. The area around my eyes feels tight and brittle if I don't moisturize. Lately I'm been using safflower oil, very nice, and no extra ingredients.

Paper Towels - rethink why you need them. Use sponges, dish cloths, re-useable wash rags, or cook differently. Rip off only a small piece, not the entire sheet.

You should not get paper napkins. You can find cloth ones in thrift stores all the time.

TP - this is a hard one for many people. They are so used to using wads of TP. I would suggest first getting used to using much less. Sheryl Crow says she uses one square! Do you think you could get down to that? It would certainly make the TP go a long way.

No, I couldn't, and wouldn't. Reusable cloth woudl be way more functional

I don't drink soda or fruit juices. They are empty calories, drink water or tea. And the water comes out of a tap. If it is really bad, you might see if there are alternatives in your area that are free.

Try to get yourself healthy so that you do not need aspirin to keep your heart healthy. Because aspirin with ultimately mess with your stomach.

Make sure that the multi-vitamin does not have the bad stuff in it, like preservatives and other things. Some people are tolerant of iron, others not so good. Make sure you find one that is good for you. Or take specific supplements if you are deficient.

My scooter is actually 125 cc, had to get a motorcycle license for it. While that cost a bit, the 90 miles to the gallon is quite nice, but I only have a gallon and a half tank. However, work is only 3 miles away. If you do not have a job, walking is the best way to go, great exercise, no gym needed. If you have to get to a job, however, bus, train, or carpooling are great ways to go too.

Really, that depends how far you're going! and whether you have a bad back, damaged feet.... carrying groceries home. Not everyone is young and fit.

Forget the cell phone. You do not need it, unless it is the only phone. Then get rid of the land line. Net10 has phones that are ~$15 a month, no contract. Try and get better than that, they might have emergency plans. Then don't use or use as little as possible.

Of course its my only phone. poor people can't afford two phones, and naturally I prefer one that I can have with me other than just at home. As a food stamp recipient I get 250 free minutes a month, and even though it is my only phone I keep below that, mostly by using email.

Instead, get Skype. Use at the library, on their internet. $10 goes a LONG way (that is the initial price for using it - I think it is for like 2000 minutes.)

Get rid of the TV. It is a mind drainer.

Personal opinion. Those of us who aren't in good health and don't have family or transportation find it very nice to have. Mine is included in the condo fee, and L's roommate pays theirs.

Do you have a computer (I did not see it on the list, but you must if you are on these forums, unless you are going to the library to use their computers?) Get rid of the internet at home and only use the library's or other wifi spots that are free. But whatever you do, do not buy anything for the use of the internet.

I'm in a wi-fi hotspot

Use your computer to watch a movie or show. Like I said, the TV is not needed and is a drainer of your time.

Personal opinion. It depends what you're watching, and what you might have been doing with your time otherwise. Resting is a legitmate use of time, and tv makes that more interesting.

Use the library for your supply of books, newspapers, magazines, internet, bathrooms, and entertainment. It is also an excellent way to find other resources in your area.

Other things:
Do not buy new, buy clothes at thrift stores. It is cheaper for sure, and you know that it already had one owner, and it has not yet worn out.
You can also buy shoes, purses, wallets, belts, scarves, coats, jackets, and DARE I SAY IT: underwear and other stuff there. Usually they are new, I believe most thrift do not sell used underwear.

Make a price book for food. Find the foods that you eat all the time, write them down, and go to the grocery stores to find that food. Write down the price. You'll start to figure out who has the best prices on certain types of food. Keep the price book (or list) with you all the time, just in case. That way, if you see a sale price, look in your book to see if it really is a good deal.

Also look into your heating and cooling of the place. Are you on electric or gas for heating? How much does it run you and can you do things to make it cheaper?

We both live in places where utilites are included

Can you work with your friend to get bulk purchases (like splitting up the bulk buy of TP :) ) or other stuff that comes in large quantities.

I also would suggest the neti pot, great for keeping you healthy during flu season. Keeps you hydrated in an often neglected area of the body.

I've been using nasal saline for years and the difference is terrific. I used to get sinus infections several times a year and now I almost never do. I mix my own with filtered water and sea salt.

ljevtich
11-23-11, 2:46pm
Just because something is included does not mean you need to always use it. I knew I would hit a nerve with the TV. When my DH and I started out on our frugal journey and had sold our house and everything in it (including the TV), we watched shows on our computers for sure, but we also read a bunch more. We read how to be more frugal, including reading Your Money or Your Life, the tightwad gazette, plus many other books. I have those books on my website, kind of as a log of what I was reading, but we were averaging ~ 5 to 6 books a month, while working, because we did not have a TV. It is just as relaxing, entertaining, and you learn something as well.

Dr. Bronner's has natural/organic ingredients, it is pure castile soap. But baking soda works well too. It might help out your friend.

So when you say you are in a wifi hot spot, does that mean that your apartment comes with it as part of your rent? I would imagine if the apartment comes with cable, it would be part of the cable expense. If that is the case, I would still suggest Skype, if needed. Although it sounds like you do not do much calling on the phone anyway. We are the same, usually using email or Facebook to do the talking.

The other reason I suggested the library is that it can help you get out more, instead of being in the apartment as much. You may not be able to be active, but you might find great resources there to help you with being unemployed.

mira
11-23-11, 6:06pm
Will Ivory soap clean the bathtub?

Since most of the products you use to clean yourself in the bath/shower are soapy, alkaline products, it is easier to clean the tub with an acid, such as vinegar. That's what I've found, anyway.

dado potato
11-23-11, 6:12pm
WALK ... carry home provisions.

reader99
11-23-11, 7:16pm
Just because something is included does not mean you need to always use it. I knew I would hit a nerve with the TV. When my DH and I started out on our frugal journey and had sold our house and everything in it (including the TV), we watched shows on our computers for sure, but we also read a bunch more. We read how to be more frugal, including reading Your Money or Your Life, the tightwad gazette, plus many other books. I have those books on my website, kind of as a log of what I was reading, but we were averaging ~ 5 to 6 books a month, while working, because we did not have a TV. It is just as relaxing, entertaining, and you learn something as well.

Dr. Bronner's has natural/organic ingredients, it is pure castile soap. But baking soda works well too. It might help out your friend.

So when you say you are in a wifi hot spot, does that mean that your apartment comes with it as part of your rent? I would imagine if the apartment comes with cable, it would be part of the cable expense. If that is the case, I would still suggest Skype, if needed. Although it sounds like you do not do much calling on the phone anyway. We are the same, usually using email or Facebook to do the talking.

The other reason I suggested the library is that it can help you get out more, instead of being in the apartment as much. You may not be able to be active, but you might find great resources there to help you with being unemployed.

I use the library extensively, one of their best customers. I love ordering things online and they have it ready for me to pick up. They have language CDs too - I'm working on Japanese, and sometimes Spanish. I have a book a day habit, and get lots of information on the internet as well. I read the Tightwad Gazette years ago, and a couple of times since, along with YMOL and many similar books. Television remains a pleasant pasttime for me.

I'm not "in the apartment so much". For one thing it's a condo not an apartment, and for another I like it here, and for another I go out as much as seems reasonable to me - church, book club, visit friends, secret shopping.

I mostly watch tv when I'm too tired to focus on a book. Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean I do nothing but stare at the TV in a trance. Having and using a TV doesn't make me an ignorant neanderthal.

Edited to add, how does watching TV through the computer improve it? It would make a difference in terms of money if it weren't included in the condo fee, but in terms of the alleged time waste and supposedly not learning anything (!!) I don't see the difference.

ALL utilities are included in my condo fee [I own the condo], electric, tv, internet... so which screen the show appears on is irrelevant for the purpose of this money saving thread.

I don't understand "you might not be able to be active"? Who said I wasn't active? Granted, a drop in income didn't magically make me able to walk ten miles carrying a load, but that's different than not active. I'm socially active, I'm still hanging on to my POS car, though it's going to have to go soon. I go to yoga class, have a treadmill in my condo, since heat and pollen bother me walking outdoors...

There are a really lot of baseless assumptions in your responses and I don't understand it.

reader99
11-23-11, 7:18pm
WALK ... carry home provisions.

WMT is 5.5 miles each way - this is not going to happen. L has severe orthopedic issues, so it isn't going to happen for her either. I say again, not everyone is young and in sound shape.

reader99
11-23-11, 7:24pm
Well, Walgreens has certainly changed. 15 years ago DH used to do their free after rebate thing for all kinds of grooming products. I picked up their folder today, and all the rebates were largish items like glucose meter or heating pad. Maybe next month will have something more useful.

Zoebird
11-27-11, 9:04pm
yeah, amazing, huh? :)

we were using the bus to get groceries. having the car makes me so happy in regards to groceries. :D

loosechickens
11-27-11, 11:12pm
I suspect that one of the reasons folks mention the TV so much is that literally billions of dollars are spent by TV advertisers to make you want to buy things, so that one of the easiest ways to eliminate spending is to eliminate all those advertising opportunities that assist in making you feel that you "lack" one thing or another, or "need" something.

Not that the TV in and of itself is all that bad.......I just notice that when I stick to DVDs I get at the library of movies I've missed, or older classics, and the occasional PBS program, I am "advertised to" a huge amount less in my life.

To me, the simpler the pleasures, the less money gets spent, so a walk, a good library book, a visit with friends, etc. can make not spending any money at all hardly noticed.

Like all the other threads on this forum (and other places), reader99, you just have to pick out what is useful to you, ignore the suggestions that don't seem to apply to your own situation, recognize that all of us have some "hobbyhorses" of issues (i.e., kill your TV, eat vegetarian, use cloth diapers, etc.) that we trot out on lots of occasions. Plus, it's hard to people to understand your particular situation just from a few posts, so some of the suggestions may be well off the mark. Just ignore those........

I'm not in your situation, but even I found some great suggestions on this thread for myself.......so it's helpful on lots of levels, I guess.

flowerseverywhere
11-28-11, 8:10am
Make sure you are using all the services your library provides

Ours has Freegal which allows you to download 3 free MP3's from the sony library a week per card. We have quite a collection of songs to listen to, from rock, to classical to pop and childrens.

Ours also has rocket languages (which is similar to Rosetta stone) which is free- I would think if you were out of work learning some basic Latin American Spanish could potentially aide in job searching. It couldn't hurt anyway.

Ours also has book sales every six months. They charge $3 for a big bag of books. I volunteer at the sales, they give you free pizza and I get first crack at the books. I have stocked my grandchildren with hundreds of almost new books, a present of learning that no amount of money can replace. With two working parents, getting to the library is difficult for them, so I took care of it. My best find was the time I got 98 kids books for $6 and almost all of them were just about brand new- I had years of gifts for the kids. They have all the Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, American Girl, Dr. Seuss etc. Their parents know I do this and are fine with it. Much better than gifting useless plastic gifts that are destined to break.

They have classes on finding a job, writing resumes, interviewing techniques and computer use all for free, one of our librarians got a grant to expand the computer section and holds classes for networking and job skill reasons.

Other libraries in our county have similar classes and programs, you just have to pay attention and look for the deals.

Also, I save any coupons I run across and give them to a friend who has four growing boys who play sports, she is much more likely to buy packaged products for them to throw in their backpacks or for after school as I use very few coupons. Occasionally she will do something nice for me like sending down some delicious Italian food and we know we can depend on each other. That goes a long way towards safety and well being in a neighborhood.

Adding to the TV comments I also find when I watch less or no TV I get more exercise, eat better, read more and are less likely to buy what is advertised. Sizzling food and pictures of gooey chocolate only make me want to eat as I have little willpower against those things.

razz
11-28-11, 9:01am
As LC mentioned, ignore what does not meet your interest and need. I am glad that you started this thread as it wakes me, and I suspect others, to the possibilities that we may forget about unless reminded. Thanks.

FWIW, I mostly ignore TV and get my news from the computer on which I try to spend no more than an hour each morning and evening.
What TV we do get is via aerial so we have no fee beyond the cost of the aerial ($150 for a ministate , looks like small donut) so DH does get the few channels that he watches with this approach.

ljevtich
11-28-11, 12:53pm
I mostly watch tv when I'm too tired to focus on a book. Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean I do nothing but stare at the TV in a trance. Having and using a TV doesn't make me an ignorant neanderthal.

Edited to add, how does watching TV through the computer improve it? It would make a difference in terms of money if it weren't included in the condo fee, but in terms of the alleged time waste and supposedly not learning anything (!!) I don't see the difference.

ALL utilities are included in my condo fee [I own the condo], electric, tv, internet... so which screen the show appears on is irrelevant for the purpose of this money saving thread.

I did not explain myself thoroughly I guess, although LC did a great job of it. TV - however you watch it can be so filled with advertising the subconscious will automatically tuck away some useless info for that next shopping experience. Not just the commercials, (which when you have a half hour show, take up 10 minutes or 1/3 of the show time now! used to be 8 but is more now!) but the shows themselves have product placements, sometime obvious, sometimes not so obvious.

Watching a show on a computer allows you high definition without having to pay for a high definition TV. Since you get internet as part of your rent, your computer can play Hulu.com's (the free ones not the paid ones) shows and movies that you can watch when you decide to watch them, not when the TV schedule says you must. Plus you do not need extra equipment like a TiVo to watch. You will still see commercials, but they are much less and they usually are the same ones, where you can just turn off the volume or not look. You can pause the shows as well.

You can also sell the TV for money. You can also take the laptop to a place other than where you have your TV. You are more flexible that way.

When I suggested
...If you do not have a job, walking is the best way to go, great exercise, no gym needed. If you have to get to a job, however, bus, train, or carpooling are great ways to go too.

You said:

Really, that depends how far you're going! and whether you have a bad back, damaged feet.... carrying groceries home. Not everyone is young and fit.

We did not know the rest:

I don't understand "you might not be able to be active"? Who said I wasn't active? Granted, a drop in income didn't magically make me able to walk ten miles carrying a load, but that's different than not active. I'm socially active, I'm still hanging on to my POS car, though it's going to have to go soon. I go to yoga class, have a treadmill in my condo, since heat and pollen bother me walking outdoors...

You asked for alternatives, and so I gave you alternatives. What you choose to do with them is up to you. I do not know you, and I can only gleam from your post what your situation is, and therefore make some suggestions.

So no, walking 10 miles is probably not a good idea right out. But a mile or two to start off. Since it is cooler now, it might work better as well.

But as we also do not know where you are living, you might be in an area that has no sidewalks or walk areas or close enough stores. For us, we live several miles inside of Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Then it is at least another 10 miles on a busy road with no sidewalks (and uphill!) just to get into town and to an Albertsons. So no, we do not walk to buy our groceries. But our situation is completely different from most everyone else. Your situation could be different too.

These are just suggestions, they are not meant to imply anything.

You are looking for ways to save money, so we are giving you ways to save money.

I, like others here, are probably going to use some of the suggestions as well. I did not know about that online "rocket languages" I will have to look that up next time I get into the library, to see if they have something similar.