PDA

View Full Version : What I have learned about stress

kally
11-22-11, 2:46pm
A while back I posted that I had stopped sleeping. I had a very difficult month since then, sleeping, then not, then taking some sleeping aids etc.

Finally I got to a counsellor who told me I was completely normal. Because I have strange symptoms going on for four months, and I have tests scheduled for late December I am limbo diagnosis time.

She explained that all this is a lot for the body and mind to take and stress kicks in, with the number one complaint, not sleeping.

Since then I have worked with her to create a sleeping pattern that works for me; but what I REALLY needed to do was to talk to someone about what is going on with my body.

That helped a lot. I know if I don;t sleep well my stress skyrockets, my symptoms get worse and my thinking becomes weird and unclear.

So, if any of you are suffering from something that is giving you stress; I say go and get some help, whatever you need to bring your body and mind back to a functioning level.

I will keep you posted about the weird symptoms, but until then, I am not going to put my body through such a horrible experience as lack of sleep again.

It takes a lot to teach me sometimes, thick-headed and stubborn. But sometimes, when the body speaks, it speaks at a very high volume and then I start to listen.

Feeling way better today than the last time I talked of this.

treehugger
11-22-11, 3:14pm
So glad to hear you are getting some help, and that you are feeling somewhat better now. Sleep (and the lack) surely does affect everything else in our lives. I look forward to getting some good sleep again some day.

Kara

kally
11-22-11, 5:45pm
it is so crucial to our functioning well. I am ever hopeful.

leslieann
11-22-11, 5:57pm
yup, everything deteriorates when sleep is lacking. I have had clients experience hallucinations from lack of sleep, actually, but more common is the extreme fuzzy headedness, inability to make decisions or concentrate, etc. It can exacerbate depression and can even mimic depression. During the weeks when I have had some sleep disruption, I am reminded again of what a blessing it is to have regular, restful, restorative sleep.

I am so glad that you have found some help, kally. thanks for the wisdom in your post.

Gardenarian
11-23-11, 3:58pm
That is such good advice Kally!
It is real easy to get on that downward stress cycle - you can't sleep so you're too tired to exercise, you can't think straight about how to manage your diet and so on - I have been there! And getting outside help was the answer for me as well.

I am so glad that you are feeling better!

kally
11-23-11, 5:18pm
Today I feel great, and that is good enough for today.