PDA

View Full Version : Up on skis

dado potato
12-5-11, 5:17pm
From about 11:30 this morning to about 1:30 this afternoon I was up on my cross country skis. I would like this thread to be an invitation to others to talk skiing.

We had about 2 inches of new snow over the weekend. Today there was no wind, temperature 25F (or so). Today was my first time up on skis this winter. I went to a trail solo, because Mama Gnocchi can't ski any more due to arthritis. She was fine home alone, making Christmas decorations.

The trail is a few miles drive from my house, north of Solberg Lake (near Phillips) in Price County, Wisconsin. It's Northern Highland, forested primarily in red pine, with a salting of birches. In low spots the forest is mainly tamarack. The dense pines on both sides of the trail, as well as overhead, were heavily laden with snow.

The trail was not groomed nor had it been used since the latest snowfall, except by deer walking singly.

I fell into a routine of diagonal striding, resting every quarter mile or so. At each rest the hush in the woods was total... I had my pulse to listen to. Occasionally chickadees.

I kind of blissed out in Frostiana. When I got back to the Jeep, my masala chai was waiting for me in an insulated bottle.

Apres ski, I got out of my polypropylene underwear, had a shower, cracked open a beer, and put on a CD, which I have been listening to while Mama has been decorating the tree. (Bach: Sinfonia from the Christmas Oratorio, "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", "Sheep May Safely Graze", etc.)

L'hiver!

cdttmm
12-5-11, 5:34pm
Sounds amazing!!! I can't wait for it to snow here in Massachusetts so that I can get out on my x-country skis!!!

Nella
12-5-11, 5:44pm
I used to crosscountry ski and really enjoyed it. But now that I'm older I snowshoe. These days I prefer to fall down at slower rates of speed. I live in Colorado though, and there are some truly lovely trails for cross country skiing. My friends still do the ski in-ski out trips taking advantage of the yurts in various parks around the state. Plus, it's nowhere nearly as expensive as a day on the slopes of Aspen or Vail!

razz
12-5-11, 8:23pm
I envy you as we seldom get enough snow to xski. We used to do it where we lived about 20 years ago and it was wonderful - sun shining on fresh snow and lovely temps. I cannot imagine going south to miss those moments. We still get some snow and blissful sun so still love winter but rarely enough to xski.

Float On
12-5-11, 10:42pm
Down hill skiing and I were not compatable. The only way I could stop was to crash into whatever building was near - ski school, lodge, lift hut, etc. I loved cross country - something my knees could handle. Haven't been anywhere I could that since our last trip to Banff in '92. Been way too long.

ctg492
12-6-11, 5:19am
I XCountry ski. I have never skied on trails or followed others tracks. I just take off through the fields, through the parks or even this subdivision we live in now. As silly as it sounds, I envision the ladies that skied the Antarctic a few years back as I am skiing along. I have never downhilled. Very peacefull workout. I really wanted my dog to join me, I tried hooking the lead to me, but then a rabbit runs and down I go. This year I want to snowshoe, if I can find a good used pair. Honestly it is the only sport or good thing I can find about SNOW! I dislike snow and I live in MI :(

fidgiegirl
12-6-11, 8:01am
Oh dado, thank you for posting - your beautiful, vivid language makes me picture myself in my favorite ski spots, in Tettegouche State Park on the North Shore of Lake Superior, in Banning State Park, in Mille Lacs Kathio . . . I need some of those moments right about now, even if they are virtual.

Love XC skiing.

San Onofre Guy
12-6-11, 5:21pm
I used to ski to high school where I grew up in Maine. One of the most enjoyable ski tours I found was in Crawford Notch New Hampshire. The old railroad bed runs along the west side of the notch. You leave a car down low and get dropped off at the top of the notch. The old railroad bed is nicely graded and the trip including going across the trestle is great!

Given the expense, my days going downhill are fewer than ever. I did for many years have a season pass at Mammoth and would ski 10-15 days which is a lot considering that it is 300 miles away. Mammoth is a great hill and you can sleep in the back of a pickup at hot springs outside of town.

One of my most enjoyable ski days was after a day at Arapahoe Basin. My friends wife dropped us off at the top of the pass and we skied through the glades to a point lower on the mountain where the road and the drainage basin meets.

leslieann
12-6-11, 6:22pm
We are so much looking forward to ski season. It is raining here (Amazing for December) and it seems like snow is a long time away but it could happen any moment. My DH just came home with a (non frugal) long awaited, planned for and longed-for skate ski set. He's been trying to skate on his classic skis for a few years now. I got new skis last season and barely got to use them. We have wonderful places right here in the city and then there's all the rest of New Brunswick if you are adventurous.

Thanks, dado, for the lovely images. Including the chai and the beer and music, and mama decorating the tree. Sending you all kinds of wonderful wishes...and when we get some snow, I'll have something more to write...

Spartana
12-7-11, 2:29pm
I haven't cross country skied in years (although I do downhill ski). I use to live in Anchorage. Alaska and they have miles and miles of interconnected great paved bike paths running thru beautiful parks. In the winter time they turn them into groomed cross country ski paths. Wonderful!!

Alan
12-7-11, 2:40pm
Spartana, that reminds me. Russian Jack Springs park was a popular spot for cross country many years ago. Is it still there?

Spartana
12-7-11, 3:10pm
Spartana, that reminds me. Russian Jack Springs park was a popular spot for cross country many years ago. Is it still there?

Yep, I think it's still there. I lived right off one of the bike paths that went along Turnagain Arm and conected to pretty much all the parks - including Russian Jack Springs - and to the downtown area. It was great. Only problem was the darn moose on the pathways :-)! One of my plans is to someday (soon I hope) get back there to live for a year and be able to both bike and ski all those paths. They also use to make the golf courses into X-country ski areas too. Some groomed and some not. Everything interconnected. You could go all the way from Eagle River to South Anchorage and never have to go out on a road. Very fun.

Spartana
12-7-11, 3:22pm
I just checked online and it said that the Anchorage bike path and trail system goes thru 190 parks, covers 10,000 acres and they connect with 400 miles of paths. That may cover some unpaved trails as well (lots of those) but pretty unbelievable in any case!! I knew there was a reason I loved living in Anchorage. I lived off the Coastal trail - also called the Tony Knowles trail I think.

Thi link has all the info:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=anchorage%20alaska%20bike%20path%20map&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CFIQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Falaska.org%2Fanchorage%2Fparks-and-trails.jsp&ei=HMvfTo6EOMaziQLwxLyPCg&usg=AFQjCNHEl5Pzix6KBPiQ9aIbMiFVpwGNdA

Square Peg
12-8-11, 4:10am
My hubby and I plan to cross country ski this winter. We got skis from the thrift shop and plan to rent the shoes through the university's outdoor rec program. I know nothing about skiing but I am excited to try it. Please hit me with your best advice!

dado potato
12-8-11, 6:26pm
My second time up this winter was harder than the first. Only because there was more herring-boning up hills, and a long slog through a bog where the snow had only half-covered the marsh plants (labrador tea?). After another 8 inches of snow accumulates, the bog will be easier to traverse. The trail I skied today is about 15 minutes drive from my home: "Newman Springs Ski Trail" in the Chequamegon National Forest. I took Trail D, which is only 2.3 (hard) mi.
Conditions: 23 degrees F with wind West 9-13 mph. Sky clear. So sunlight filtered through the red pines, and the play of light and shadow made the ungroomed trail a thing of beauty.
Each hilltop I would stop and rest a while. I was surprised I never heard a sound of woodpeckers, chickadees, or any of the usual characters.
The only tracks were deer.
Double poling down a long grade back to the parking lot, I stopped and picked up a spiral of birch bark that had blown to the ground. Now that I am home, I have steamed the birch bark, flattened it, and pressed it in an atlas. I plan to make a Christmas card of it for Mama Gnocchi.... In my best handwriting: "For unto us a child is born, and unto us a Son is given, and the government is upon His shoulder, and He shall call His name Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."