PDA

View Full Version : cat box/litter issues

Zoe Girl
12-11-11, 2:10pm
I am fed up with cat litter issues! I have the litter box in our laundry room, the furnace is there and has a small trickle of water when it turns on which isn't that big of a deal (plumber said it is fine) because there is a drain. However the cat litter that gets on the floor is now wet and gummy and a huge pain to clean up. So I am not sure where to put it, I have another storage area but it is not one we can keep a door open to, I could clean out the laundry room more to put it where it won't get wet, Other than that it will be out in the open someplace.

Any brilliant tips for litter boxes?

Sad Eyed Lady
12-11-11, 2:20pm
I keep the litter boxes in the bathroom next to the commode so that it is easy to scoop and flush. That works is what works for us.

dado potato
12-11-11, 2:27pm
Is the litter clay or cellulose (Yesterday's News, Pine, etc.)?

In my experience cellulose is comparatively easy to sweep up into a dustpan, but it costs more than clay. On the other hand, cellulose can readily be incorporated into compost.

Once I had a cat that was a terrific kicker. He needed a litter box with a top. He also had a paw mat under the door too.

iris lily
12-11-11, 2:52pm
In our grotesque world where pets cause lotsa mess, we keep litter boxes in the bathtub. The humans here do not ever take baths, we use the showers which are separate. No comments, please on this, it is what it is. Probably no one will ever want to take a bath in my house now, but that's ok! I'm fine with that! ha ha.

Sad Eyed Lady
12-11-11, 3:23pm
In our grotesque world where pets cause lotsa mess, we keep litter boxes in the bathtub. The humans here do not ever take baths, we use the showers which are separate. No comments, please on this, it is what it is. Probably no one will ever want to take a bath in my house now, but that's ok! I'm fine with that! ha ha.

I have done that too. Our first cat, years ago, was a "kicker" - litter everywhere. We had two bathrooms, one totally unused, so we put his litter box in the tub. This contained the mess and was easy to clean up. I thought it was a pretty good idea myself!

pinkytoe
12-11-11, 5:41pm
We keep ours next to the toilet in the half bath no one ever uses. It is an ideal place except for the weiner dog that likes to check it out when no one is looking. Once we caught her completely inside the covered box. I hate cat litter on the floor so end up sweeping it up several times a day.

Miss Cellane
12-11-11, 6:54pm
Can you put anything under the trickle of water to catch it? Then it wouldn't get on the floor and the litter would be a non-issue.

Or can you get a covered litter box, which really does help to contain the litter? Or if you already have a covered litter box, could you change the direction of the opening, so the litter gets scattered where the water is not?

sweetana3
12-11-11, 7:35pm
I use a big tub with high sides (a rubbermaid type tote). Then we use washable towels for the rugs where the cats jump out. Nothing totally keeps the sand away but we also keep a broom and a dustpan right next to the pan.

In our current house, one pan is in the downstairs shower and one in the jacuzzi upstairs, neither ever used by humans for intended purposes. We just get one shower.

redfox
12-11-11, 8:31pm
Laundry room, big tote with tall sides for our kicker, and a stool next to it for his smaller sister so she can jump into & out of the box. We use Swheat scoop with baking soda in the bottom, and a rug under & in front of the box, which contains the excess. We also put a cat door in the laundry room door so we can keep that door closed.

If I were to pick another spot, it would be in a rarely used guest bathroom, under the sinnk, with a small cat entrance cut into the cupboard door.

iris lily
12-11-11, 8:38pm
One solution we tried years ago (which did not work!) was to put the litter box behind French doors in the linen closet. We knocked out one pane of glass as a cat door. Unfortunately, the linens all smelled like cat pee and that was just not do-able.

Tiam
12-11-11, 9:50pm
I've been putting puppy pads that are at the dollar store, down under the box. Seems to help.

Zoe Girl
12-15-11, 10:21am
Good ideas, I have a tiny house like we all talk about being so cool, and then there are the issues. So no room next to a potty although I like that idea, I have had to develop new ways to do hair and makeup (hint, if you have a tiny pedastel sink with no counter then put a washcloth in the sink for putting on makeup or doing contacts). I did try the bathtub but it was in our main bathroom and I found the bits of kitty litter clogged up the drain. So I amliking the different ideas with tubs and the puppy pads. I will rearange the laundry room, one side won't get damp at all if I move some storage stuff.

Thank!