PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Machine Help Needed

sugarbowlbaby
12-31-10, 5:53pm
I purchased a used knitting machine awhile back and have no idea how to work it. And for the record,
I DO NOT know how to knit (the old fashioned way). It's a Brother KA-8310. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (books or youtubes or websites). At the moment, it's just collecting dust (not literally).

Jilly
12-31-10, 11:55pm
A friend found a manual for her knitting machine on-line by using Google to search. It was a free download, but she ended up buying one through a source a local yarn shop gave her. I would ask her how she did that, but she is now living out of the country.

Amaranth
1-1-11, 12:47am
Here's a UK place with an available manual
http://www.tphuktrading.com/brother-ka8310-linker-instruction-manual-351-p.asp

happystuff
1-3-11, 6:58am
Knitting machines are fun, but do take up a lot of room. The one I had years ago had the plastic gauges. You put the desired gauge in the machine, thread it, set your desired needles per pattern and just start slidding the "foot" back and forth. Mine also provided wax for parts of the foot so that it "glided" across the needles easier. It was a pain when the foot would *jump* the needle bed, requiring some re-threading and re-setting. But using a knitting machine is quick and easy and results in some really nice pieces. Have fun with it!

redfox
1-3-11, 11:15am
There's a store in Seattle - The Weaving Works - that has a knitting machine class. The woman who teaches it is an expert with knitting machines, and may be able to coach you on the phone.

sugarbowlbaby
1-13-11, 1:08pm
Thank you ladies for your help. I'm hoping to get not only caught-up but ahead of my housework so I can venture downstairs to start looking the machine over. I'm kind of scared AND excited about it!

happystuff
1-21-11, 7:29am
Wondering how it is going?