PDA

View Full Version : Clear glassware--why can't I get it clean???!!!!!!!

iris lily
12-19-11, 1:23pm
I'm stumped. I've got wine glasses and drinking glasses that have film or something on them. I've tried:

Dawn dishsoap, hand washing
Rinsing in vinegar
and then polishing with dray cotton cloth

NO luck.

Getting more desperate, and no longer caring if I "ruin" these glasses since they are not antiuqe and they are farily useless if tey refuse to come clean, I:

scrubbed with scouring powder and rinsed

Sprayed with a bleach liquid

no luck with either of those.
Wait--I have not tried Goo be Gone. Wonder if that will do anything.

What is going on here? What do you suggest? Am I going to have to hand wash wine glasses for the rest of my life? I purposely avoided glasses with gold rims so that I could use the dishwasher. Also, I don't remember this happened in past years.

Rosemary
12-19-11, 1:27pm
Are you certain that it's a film? Is it possible that they were etched by dishwasher detergent?

Float On
12-19-11, 1:57pm
I was going to suggest that they became etched as well, and then you mentioned 'scrubbed with scouring powder' and that cinched it for me. I think they are etched.
Do you have any rinse aid? I know it's expensive and most of us use vinegar instead but when we're cleaning glass for art shows we put some in a bucket of warm water, gently wash the glass pieces, air dry and the glass shines!

iris lily
12-19-11, 1:58pm
Are you certain that it's a film? Is it possible that they were etched by dishwasher detergent?

I am *not* certain that its a film. Is this possible, then, etching by dishwasher detergent? ohhh fookit. I think you are right, I can't push the "film" around. I can't scratch it off.

iris lily
12-19-11, 2:21pm
Thanks you guys! I read up on etching. It is, apparently, even more common with soft water, and that's what we've got here. Looks like I'll be hand washing glasses from now on, but that's ok, I'll put pots and pans in the dishwasher instead.

libby
12-19-11, 2:28pm
A small dribble of ammonia added to your dishwashing water works great for shining glasses and silverware.

Mrs-M
12-19-11, 5:31pm
I second the ammonia suggestion. Not much though, just a hint. (Half teaspoon). Ensure the water you are using to wash your glasses/stemware is good and hot, and rinse thoroughly, drying immediately afterwards.

razz
12-19-11, 5:59pm
Thanks you guys! I read up on etching. It is, apparently, even more common with soft water, and that's what we've got here. Looks like I'll be hand washing glasses from now on, but that's ok, I'll put pots and pans in the dishwasher instead.

When I looked online, I took it to mean that hard water caused the problem and that has been my experience when we had very hard water.

iris lily
12-19-11, 8:29pm
When I looked online, I took it to mean that hard water caused the problem and that has been my experience when we had very hard water.

I know about hard water spots (thought not etching) but more than one site had info that soft water was a big culprit. This surprised me.We have river water hear, very soft.

rosarugosa
12-20-11, 7:20pm
I think dishwashers are generally hard on glassware. We got a set of Duralex drinking glasses for my bridal shower in 1984. (I highly recommend them, they are touted as "virtually unbreakable" and I believe we've only broken 2 in 27 years. They are also heat and freezer safe). They look as good as they did when we got them, and I attribute that to us not having a dishwasher. MY MIL got rid of hers several years ago because they were so scratched and etched, but she does have a dishwasher.