PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Crackers

Jinger
1-17-11, 10:55am
I think there was a thread on the old site about making crackers and I just found this recipe that with a few tweaks produces excellent results. I used a bit more milk and some whole wheat flour for the grahams. And I didn't chill the dough...just rolled it out. Then I decided to use this recipe to make other kinds of crackers. I made a combo whole wheat, oatmeal, cornmeal cracker using a bit of honey, but no brown sugar. After they were baked I brushed the tops with melted butter and then sprinkled on kosher salt. I used a pastry blender to mix the butter and flours together.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000126.html

Crystal
1-17-11, 11:01am
I love cracker recipes, Jinger. I've made a whole grain / blue corn thin cracker before, topped with parmesan and various other toppings. Thanks for the reminder! Need to do this again.

mtnlaurel
1-17-11, 12:57pm
Thanks for sharing this link. I really liked reading the special memories that the author had of her grandmother and that apple shaped cookie jar. A friend of my grandmothers had a strawberry shaped cookie jar and made the most amazing sugar cookies that she would keep there (an almost magical memory from my childhood - those yummy, simple cookies).

Charity
1-18-11, 3:40pm
I love to make crackers. I always thought they would be a real pain to make because of rolling out the dough. Then I happened upon a recipe that suggested using a pasta maker to roll the dough out. It's super fast and the all the crackers are the exact same thickness.

IshbelRobertson
1-18-11, 5:28pm
I don't make crackers, but regularly make Scottish oatcakes - wonderful with cheese - and if baked fresh, then they are great as part of a breakfast with eggs and bacon!

Gina
1-18-11, 6:34pm
I'd LOVE to be able to make crackers. I tried it once with not very good results. The pasta maker sounds like a great idea.

Tiam
1-18-11, 10:23pm
So, could you do that with any cracker recipe? I might try it.

Charity
1-19-11, 9:30am
As long as the dough isn't real sticky I don't see why you couldn't. It's just so much easier than rolling it out.

Gina
1-19-11, 4:07pm
Last night after reading several cracker recipes and directions, I decided to give it a try. It was late, so I picked a simple, small recipe and they turned are quite good. They are quite plain looking (some might consider them unattractive), but definitely a kitchen skill to learn. The pasta maker would make doing this easier, but it was too late to set it up.

The basic recipe I used was:

1 1/4 C flour (any kind - I used light whole wheat and substituted 1/4 cup of ground sesame seeds for part of the flour. Next time I'll use part masa too.)
1/2 tsp salt. (I used 1/4 tsp)
2T butter or oil
4T water - add slowly
1 tsp seasonings/herbs (optional) (I added 1/2 tsp cayenne - seems just about right)
(Next time I might add a tsp of honey or 'sweet' for flavor.)

Mix well in food processor, remove and lightly knead into nice ball - but not too much. Roll to 1/8 inch thick, or thinner. Use extra flour to keep from sticking.
Using pastry wheel cutter or pizza cutter, cut into desired shapes. The outside perimeter edges will not be straight.
Transfer to baking sheet or parchment (I used a very thin spatula), bake at 325 for 10 min, turn cookie sheets, bake 10 more min. Turn oven off and let crackers sit over night in warm oven to totally dry. (This last part is what I discovered to get really crunchy biscotti, and it seemed to work well for the crackers too.)

herbgeek
1-19-11, 5:28pm
Another way to do crackers is like slice and bake cookies. I use a cheese straw recipe (found all over the net) but mold it into a log, chill, then slice.

happystuff
1-21-11, 7:21am
Haven't made crackers in a long, long time. Thanks for the reminder. Am going to try this over the weekend.

Gina
1-21-11, 12:41pm
I have an informal 'event' later today so this morning I made two small batches of crackers - pesto and herb/onion. The pesto was first, and they are cooled enough to test. Very good, and with a shaving of cheese on top, even better. The crackers themselves are a bit too thick. Most recipes say about 1/8 inch, and I was going for even thinner than that, but it was not enough IMO. Next time I'll flatten them more. Unfortunately I can't find the handle to the pasta maker at the moment. Must find. I can envision rolling them with a rolling pin, then cutting to the right width for the maker, then running the dough through that for the final flattening.

The first batch of crackers the other day I just cut with a rolling cutter, but the look was not very appealing to me. This time I used a small, round, scalloped cookie cutter. More work of course, but they are so cute. :)

Charity
1-27-11, 5:30pm
Gina,

Can you post a recipe for the herb/onion crackers? They sound great.

Gina
1-27-11, 11:57pm
I've made several more batches now (given most away), and did locate the handle to the pasta maker - that really helps. Anyway, I don't always follow recipes exactly, but here's what I wrote down for Herb/onion crackers:

(preheat oven to 325*F, then turn down to 300* when initially putting in raw crackers.)

Onion, either about 1/4 C raw or dry (about 1T dry?) (the latest recipe I use more onion and carmelize it first - highly recommended)
1 tsp dry herbs - I use ground Italian
1/8 tsp cayenne for a little zing
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2T butter or olive oil
1/2 C white flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour (or all white or ww)

Put everything in a food processor and turn on. Slowly add water till it just barely begins to form a ball. (this takes from about 3 to 5? table spoons. I don't measure) The dough is very forgiving. Remove (it will appear grainy, but will hold together well when pressed between fingers) and slightly knead to bring it all together. Roll out (the dough does not seem to stick much - but if it does, use extra flour.), cut (either cookie cutters or in squares with pastry or pizza wheel), Place on parchment covered cookie sheets - but I doubt they'd stick directly on the pans. Bake in preheated 300*F oven. If they are thick, prick with fork before baking so they wont puff up.

After 8 minutes, turn/rotate pans for another 8 minutes. Then turn/rotate for 8 minutes more. 24 minutes total. When the crackers show the slightest browning on the edges, remove cookie sheets from the oven and turn off. When oven is still warm but not too hot, return sheets into the warm oven, close the door and let dry for several more hours or overnight. This is what gets them more crispy. Do not turn the oven back on during this drying phase.

Charity
1-28-11, 11:41am
Thanks Gina. They sound awesome. I'm gonna try them this weekend.

Gina
1-28-11, 1:07pm
You're welcome. :) I forgot to mention that when I roll them out, I first divide the dough into smaller, more managable balls. And if there are scraps, re-gather and re-roll.

Good luck with them. I'm planning on making another batch of pesto crackers this weekend too - the basil plants look as if they will allow another picking.