PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Georgia

lisaknex
12-23-11, 12:10pm
Long time reader of the forums. I decided to register and say Hi.

I am having a really nice, stress free December thanks in part to simple living.

I took up crocheting this past summer and made several gifts for family and coworkers for the holidays, so I have been able to stay out of the stores this month.

I am opting out of several high stress, family type gatherings and this has made my life so much calmer over the season. Thanks in part to this forum, I have learned to say "no thank you" to events that I truly do not enjoy.

Thanks for a wonderful community!

Lisa

Float On
12-23-11, 12:24pm
Hi Lisa - glad you took time to register and post. Welcome!
I'm just learning how to crochet and knit too.

treehugger
12-23-11, 12:40pm
Welcome, Lisa! Happy to hear about your low-stress December. Way to go!

Kara

rosarugosa
12-23-11, 6:55pm
Welcome Lisa! I think many (even here) can benefit from hearing about your low-stress December. Look forward to hearing more from you!

KayLR
12-23-11, 7:19pm
Hi Lisa! I also crocheted caps for all my husband's staff this Christmas--they really went over! I think people really appreciate handcrafted items. Plus, do you, like me, find it kind of therapeutic? In the evenings, when I've finished up all the dishes and just want to relax, I crochet while DH (and I indirectly) watches whatever game is on. It keeps my hands busy and from feeding my face!

I would love to hear how you opted out of stressful family things. I still have a bit of trouble extricating myself from that whole game.

Welcome! Thanks for de-lurking.

fidgiegirl
12-23-11, 8:11pm
Really nice to hear from you, Lisa! :)

What were the gifts you made? How did you learn to crochet?

lisaknex
12-24-11, 6:24am
Thanks for the warm welcome!

My 22 yrs old son dropped out of college this past summer to be a starving artist and I started crocheting like mad. It really has been my therapy.

I made my mother a large 5x5 afghan, she just about cried! I gave it to her last weekend and told her it was not a Christmas present:). She is on a fixed income and drives herself crazy around this time of the year. She wants to get lots of presents for all of her now grown grandchildren. Nobody needs anything and it is no fun watching her stress out.

I made four sets of arm warmers for my co workers. Made them out of a very soft silk bamboo yarn. I'm not sure how to post photos, but will include a link to Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisaknex/6563636303/in/photostream

It was a very easy pattern and they where a lot of fun to make.

Lisa

lisaknex
12-24-11, 6:40am
I just started crocheting this summer. I learned the basic stitching from watching you tube tutorials. I also checked out a couple of how to books from the library.

I forgot to include in my introduction, I first read YMYL almost 15 years ago. It changed my life completely. I have no debt except for a mortgage, and live below my means.

I am very greatful. I need nothing.

Lisa

Selah
12-24-11, 8:57am
Hi, Lisa, and welcome! Isn't getting debt-free-except-for-the-house a great accomplishment and SO worth the PITA effort it takes to get there? And you're right, once you've learned how to live below your means while getting out of debt, the great thing is that by the time you reach your goal, you've already adjusted to living simply and wouldn't ever dream of going back to the way you lived before.

Have a peaceful, happy, and serene holiday!

fidgiegirl
12-24-11, 9:53am
I like crocheting, though my skill is very very very basic. Never have gotten into knitting, though . . .

Re: Your mom and Christmas, that would be no fun to watch. :( It's so true about nobody needing anything. It's just so much.

Love YMOYL!!!! It's pretty interesting to look back over the years and see how different my life and attitudes are toward money and stuff now as well. Highly recommend! :) Hope you will be back to visit us and post many times :)