PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis/Pain relief question

frugal-one
12-30-11, 3:01am
DH has severe arthritis. He now has wrist guards on both wrists and cannot even wind his chime clocks the pain is so bad. Any ideas for natural pain relievers? He recovered from kidney failure a year ago so need to forego NSAIDS. I'd appreciate any thoughts that I can research!

Wildflower
12-30-11, 3:16am
Glucosamine Chondroitin and MSM has helped me tremendously. It usually takes several days to weeks to feel the benefits though. I had to be very patient before I saw results. Doesn't work for everyone though, but worth a try. Just don't give up on it too soon. I'd give it 3 months trial run at least. I use the Osteo Bi-Flex brand which you can find at any store, but is cheapest at Walmart and Target.

redfox
12-30-11, 3:59am
Heat helps my knees. Also, cortisone injections give relief, but don't fall into the natural category! Osteoarthritis is very prevalent... It's no fun.

CathyA
12-30-11, 7:16am
I have alot of finger pains from arthritis. I was thinking about getting one of those heated wax machines for the hands and feet. Its supposed to feel really good, and help with arthritis pain.

Rosemary
12-30-11, 7:50am
My grandfather had severe pain from rheumatoid arthritis for many years. He found relief from an arnica gel that you can purchase at most natural foods stores. I think he alternated this with a capsaicin-based lotion of some kind.

frugal-one
12-31-11, 2:04am
Thanks for the replies! My DH does take Glucosamine and uses the arnica gel too. I was thinking of asking a neighbor if he could try some of her capsaicin lotion. I will do so tomorrow. Thanks! He also drinks Montmorency tart cherry concentrate. It does help with the swelling and helps him sleep some too. We have cut down on sugar (albeit not so easy during the holidays) and are trying to eat a healthier diet. I just wish there was more that we could do to relieve the suffering!

Tiam
12-31-11, 2:07am
So, how worthwhile is the cortizone, and how difficult of a procedure is it?

Rosemary
12-31-11, 8:04am
Forgot to mention what might have the biggest impact: a long-term anti-inflammatory diet.

citrine
12-31-11, 9:02am
Massage therapy also helps a lot. I have a few clients who have really bad arthritis in their hands, feet, and knees. A lot of insurance companies have started to accept massage as preventative/maintenance holistic procedure. Call your insurance company and see if it is covered....you can find a good therapist through ABMP or AMTA in your area.

redfox
12-31-11, 2:33pm
So, how worthwhile is the cortizone, and how difficult of a procedure is it?

The cortisone injection is directly into my knee joint, which is a rather intense few minutes. It also has a numbing agent init. That wears off in a day or so, then there is pain for two days, then the pain is gone. It lasts for 3-8 months.

Cannabis is also effective; I take it in edible form.

redfox
12-31-11, 2:33pm
Forgot to mention what might have the biggest impact: a long-term anti-inflammatory diet.

I would like to know more about this... What qualifies as an anti-inflammatory diet?

JaneV2.0
12-31-11, 5:30pm
Here's one resource: http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/search/label/anti-inflammatory%20diet

The first bullet point is: "Low starch and other simple sugars -- insulin and high blood glucose are inflammatory; so use complex polysaccharides (not starch); starch only in small portions (1/2 banana or one side of a hamburger bun) and preferably in unprocessed, less available forms, e.g. coarse ground or fat coated -- bread with butter; less than 30 gm in any meal, less is healthier, grains are frequently a problem -- gluten intolerance."

Anita
12-31-11, 7:52pm
I use Alfalfa pils made from Alfalfa hay,and glucosemine.The Alfalfa pils really keep the pain down.I don't know if it is sold in the USA,I send some to Holland every few months for my niece who has really bad Arthritis.

redfox
12-31-11, 8:35pm
Here's one resource: http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/search/label/anti-inflammatory%20diet

The first bullet point is: "Low starch and other simple sugars -- insulin and high blood glucose are inflammatory; so use complex polysaccharides (not starch); starch only in small portions (1/2 banana or one side of a hamburger bun) and preferably in unprocessed, less available forms, e.g. coarse ground or fat coated -- bread with butter; less than 30 gm in any meal, less is healthier, grains are frequently a problem -- gluten intolerance."

Thank you!

pony mom
12-31-11, 11:28pm
Anita, you could probably buy ground alfalfa powder and just put it into capsules.

Massage helps, as does acupuncture. I've never had acupuncture myself, but have seen big improvements on animals, so there's no placebo effect there. Flax or fish oil is anti-inflammatory. Exercise is very important too, to help strengthen the muscles around the joints.

JaneV2.0
1-1-12, 1:18am
I find keeping magnesium levels up helps with tight muscles associated with aches and pains.

Greg44
1-1-12, 4:18pm
I have Osteoarthritis in my hands. I was experiencing pain shooting up my fingers, waists, etc. I would take Advil nearly everyday because of the pain. It was very frustrating - actually quite depressing.

Since I started following a low fat vegan diet - my pain is completely gone (knock on wood). I still have stiffness in my finger joints that have been damaged from the arthritis, but the pain is gone. This was a completely unexpected consequence of the diet. It is the only reason I could attribute to pain going away.

JaneV2.0
1-1-12, 11:45pm
When you step back from overly processed food and omega six oils, you automatically reduce the inflammatory elements in your diet. Also, dairy products throw off your calcium-magnesium ratios, often leading to increased muscle tension and pain.