PDA

View Full Version : Long term food storage article

redfox
12-30-11, 9:31pm
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/how-to/how-to-start-a-food-storage-on-10-a-week-138765

Tiam
12-30-11, 10:38pm
Thank you for posting this.

Last year, I made a concerted effort to "Stock up" it's just me and a BF. and 4 children and two grandchildren who don't live with me. Now my BF doesn't like most of the foods I like. He doesn't like rice, beans, legumes or most vegetarian dishes. We meat because he likes it. I could live happily forever on next to nothing in the way of meat. In fact he left for an extended trip this summer and I lived on rice and beans. But he's here, and I have to decide what to make that we both will eat. I'm happy with leftovers and veggie fare for my work lunches or lunch when he isn't hungry.
But, anyway, I did make an effort to "stock up" But.....we don't eat much in the way of canned foods. And, since he isn't eating the rice and beans, I don't fix them much. But I did buy lots of canned tomatoes, beans, chiles and spaghetti sauce and condiments. And small amounts of grains and legumes. I'm now in the process of looking through my cupboard and realizing how much is now outdated. There's an advantage I'm sure, especially for those who consume processed foods, but I don't know how much it's "saved" me in terms of economy. Having lots of condiments is handy, because it's the kind of thing I run out of and it's the only thing I don't have, and it's handy to just be able to grab another jar of mustard and not worry much. I liked that part. And laundry soap, TP and light bulbs. So, I learned something about stocking up. That level of stocking up doesn't work for me, but there are kinds of stocking up that do, and I appreciate that. If we went through a food "Shortage" this year, I would not be prepared. I do garden though, and I continue to work on that skill for a food source of the fresh foods we do eat.

So, Redfox, how about you? What are your feelings? You only posted a link.

redfox
12-30-11, 11:07pm
My feelings... Well, since the last teen moved out a year ago (insert wild happy dance here!), we've dropped our Costco membership, learned to buy in smaller quantites, and have bought more expensive food & wine... :)

We have stores of frozen stuff & canned stuff, enough, I suspect, for about a month. Optimally, having enough for 3 months would be good for me. We need to get our fresh water storage figured out mostly.

DH & I are fine about beans 'n' rice, and with a garden, if that's what we need to reply on, we'll make it work... I am glad we have similar palates.

Tiam
12-30-11, 11:19pm
My feelings... Well, since the last teen moved out a year ago (insert wild happy dance here!), we've dropped our Costco membership, learned to buy in smaller quantites, and have bought more expensive food & wine... :)

We have stores of frozen stuff & canned stuff, enough, I suspect, for about a month. Optimally, having enough for 3 months would be good for me. We need to get our fresh water storage figured out mostly.

DH & I are fine about beans 'n' rice, and with a garden, if that's what we need to reply on, we'll make it work... I am glad we have similar palates.

Isn't that great! I think at one point over the year, I had enough for 3 months. Now? Maybe a month. I guess it doesn't work out for me financially to really stock up, because the waste factor is there. I do have at least 3 days of stored water. I've never rotated it. But I keep bleach on hand. If it was truly necessary to use this water, it could be decontaminated for consumption.

So, if it was an earthquake? No power? I might have trouble, because I don't have an alternate cooking source other than a bbq. I have some tuna and water, tea, sugar. If I could cook? I'd get by for a few days for sure, because I have some canned tomatoes and such, some beans and rice, spice packets. I wouldn't have to run out tomorrow for supplies, but I would after a few days. I love the idea of being stocked up for a length of time. It hasn't worked for me. Instead, I'm trying to build an on-hand cash supply. I think it's a better investment against an immediate emergency that required instant onhand action. I've also put some rechargable flashlights in some key places including the car, and trying to centralize supplies. I don't have shtf bag or plan however.

bae
12-31-11, 12:09am
See also:

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?3145-Emergency-Food-Reserves

Tiam
12-31-11, 1:20am
And I would also appreciate hearing some stories from folks about practical incidences and techniques they have used in real life emergencies and how those food stores and stocks helped them specifically.